Wanted 10 wt. saltwater rod

Started by AK Aaron, April 06, 2014, 18:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aka

Anyone have or have a suggestion on a ten weight that I can fish in the salt & won't break the bank?

RiverbumCO

Predator or Mangrove.  From there its just brand preference.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Big J

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=3&page_id=15&product_type=1

Love the Echo Ion's, that's what I have and love it.  Love their warranty too.

Have heard great things with the Redington Predators too.  Both are reasonably priced.

Michael Toris

Predator man. I've got one. Casted many different 10 weights and I like it the best. Fast as hell and will lift a tank.

Mangrove is a great rod too. Loads deeper with a different feel. Depends on your casting style.

Aka

I found a Thomas & Thomas rod for less than I would have thought and was tempted to buy it. I fished a 4 weight of the same rod and it was the best casting rod I've touched. But it's double the cost used as these and I fished a 4 wt with dries so really don't know how it would handle as a 10 wt.

snagaluffaguss

Do you want to fish for Permit with it?  If so then get the T&T.

I have a feeling that your intention is to take that birthday present I worked so hard on for you and just throw it in the fuggin water.

If that be the case then just get the Predator its a good meat chucker.

Aka

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on April 06, 2014, 21:01:23 PM
Do you want to fish for Permit with it?  If so then get the T&T.

I have a feeling that your intention is to take that birthday present I worked so hard on for you and just throw it in the fuggin water.

If that be the case then just get the Predator its a good meat chucker.

Snook, I wanted tarpon but looks like the absulute wrong time of the year. Will probably have chances at Amber jack, rooster and Spanish mackerel. None as technical as permit, but I like casting, it's more than what you do to get the fly in front of a fish.
Then I want to bring it home and use it to throw that thing that's been hanging on my key holder since February.

Michael Toris

Completely honest here, mu predator 10wt is one of the best casting rods ive casted. It will absolutely blast it

Jfey

I'll second the predator as a meat throwing machine.   
Yup, going fishing

Transylwader

Redington Torrent (although, mine is in two pieces after a parking lot casting demo went sour)
I have landed everything from Lemon shark to the Gar of Jesus. You can use it for those overrated asshole Musky too.

Aka

Quote from: Transylwader on April 07, 2014, 12:17:03 PM
Redington Torrent (although, mine is in two pieces after a parking lot casting demo went sour)
I have landed everything from Lemon shark to the Gar of Jesus. You can use it for those overrated asshole Musky too.

I have a bit of time before I have to commit and will probably try to cast some of the suggestions. I wish I could cast the T&T but I doubt I'll get anywhere near a dealer before July.

Heath - like you guessed, whatever I do end up with will be used to throw meat to musky on the boat I don't have... But being they are the fish of ten thousand casts (more than likely double that for me) I think the more enjoyable casting rod will keep me going. DRO doesn't have one I can lawn cast do they?

Michael Toris

If you are musky fishing,  then you can take that ghay ass T&T, stick it in your poopshoot, then go buy a fucking predator. They are meant for the ski. Carbon wrapped weak sections for extra strength. Also very light and fast as hell. I'm telling you, you will regret not getting a predator for musky

_Fish_Pimp

I fished the T&T horizon II 10wt for albacore, I liked it. not sure if I'd wanna stick it way down in the water to figure 8 for ski with...its too expensive and the blank is pretty thin walled, seems like it might be easily broken. I've fished a few predators, 8 and 10wts..they're nice rods. and cheap and the warranty dept. is probably a lot faster than T&T.

Transylwader

Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on April 07, 2014, 22:14:18 PM
I fished the T&T horizon II 10wt for albacore, I liked it. not sure if I'd wanna stick it way down in the water to figure 8 for ski with...its too expensive and the blank is pretty thin walled, seems like it might be easily broken. I've fished a few predators, 8 and 10wts..they're nice rods. and cheap and the warranty dept. is probably a lot faster than T&T.
your avatar is awful, just awful. Fix dat shit bruh...

Michael Toris

Quote from: Transylwader on April 07, 2014, 22:45:01 PM
Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on April 07, 2014, 22:14:18 PM
your avatar is awful, just awful. Fix dat shit bruh...

I witnessed this avatar being created

Ask him about the "guide trick"