Smith River at flood stage

Started by Al, January 07, 2009, 22:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Folks that were thinking about hitting the Smith this weekend might want to make other plans. This photo was taken today at the Martinsville Dam (Lower end of town)

outdoorguy3

Dang, that will rearrange the river some.  Looks like it's flushing a bunch of that silt down the river too!

Ralph
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Woolly Bugger

Good thing I looked at this as I was planning to fish it tomorrow!!!!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fire-Fly

Its not going to be that bad below the Philpott dam, ive seen it like that in town and by next week it will be back closer to normal. Down in Martinsville it does flood quicker than the upper smith does.

Just looked at the USGS site and the flows are already coming down alot, behind the dam is back near 100cfs. The dam in Martinsville was up to 5000cfs but is close to 1000cfs now. Fishing will be fine by tomorrow.

Gofisher

Quote from: Fire-Fly on January 08, 2009, 17:59:20 PM
Its not going to be that bad below the Philpott dam, ive seen it like that in town and by next week it will be back closer to normal. Down in Martinsville it does flood quicker than the upper smith does.

Just looked at the USGS site and the flows are already coming down alot, behind the dam is back near 100cfs. The dam in Martinsville was up to 5000cfs but is close to 1000cfs now. Fishing will be fine by tomorrow.

WOW! All that water will come down that quick?
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Woolly Bugger

The photo was taken at the 220 Bridge many miles downstream from the Philpot dam where the trout tailwater starts.. I don't know if the Philpot dam had water coming over the top or not....

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Fire-Fly

I just fished the Smith this morning, and from the spec regs up to Philpott the water is gin clear, down in bassett the water has some stain to it and down in Martinsville its a little muddy but its come down closer to normal.

Gofisher... i wouldnt think down at that dam it would come down that quick but thats what the USGS site showed, i need to ride over there and look at it. As for the upper smith it can come down over night, especially the upper Smith.

nymph-o

I tried to go float the trophy section of the Watauga in Elizabethton this morning and was greeted by debris piled up in the put in ramp and it looked as if the high water mark was 20' in the parking lot.  I am going to try again on monday depending on what the cfs is.  I am going to bring a shovel , a broom, and maybe a chainsaw to clear a path if the TVA hasn't cleaned it up, which will most likely be the situation seeing as their resources are presently occupied by the "minor" incident on the Clinch. Something about clean coal?

Ham

I fished it yesterday and was wondering if it had flooded as I saw a lot of debris.  The fishing was good though.  :)

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Ham on January 12, 2009, 12:40:39 PM
I fished it yesterday and was wondering if it had flooded as I saw a lot of debris.  The fishing was good though.  :)

go on... tell us more...
me -There's a season?

Ham

Quotego on... tell us more...
The water had a slight green tint but was clear. It seemed a little high but I haven't been there since November. There was some brush down in places but not bad and some garbage (kids' balls and stuff) floating around.

I started at the bottom of the special regs section around 9:30 and caught a rainbow right off the bat.

I caught a couple more rainbows and a couple browns all on beadheads -12 hare's ear soft hackle and 14 PTN. I was trying various little midges below them but the fish were taking the bigger nymphs.[attachment=1][attachment=2]

The fishing seemed to slow down as it got colder and windier in the afternoon, but it might have just been that I was wasting my time trying to fish to sporadic rises in the slack water. I fished up a couple bends above the cabin by the deep hole where the river splits before calling it a day.

Only caught 5 and none too big but I had a good time and enjoyed myself. There are some pretty little browns in that river.[attachment=3]