As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Alligator grows at alarming rate; officials think they know why

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>The hunters caught the 12-foot, 1-inch alligator in Forest Home Chute off the Mississippi River south of Eagle Lake last week and turned in the tag, as reported this week by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks.

When first tagged, the alligator measured 6.4 feet, meaning it grew an average of 8.6 inches each year over nine years.

"It is rare to document alligators of this size class with annual growth rates of this magnitude," the MWDFP stated on Facebook

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/alligator-grows-at-alarming-rate-officials-think-they-know-why

So what is the explanation given by experts? Asian carp.

"Since the time 2003-2005, this area of the Mississippi Delta has seen a tremendous increase in the Asian carp population," the MWDFP stated. "The MWDFP Wildlife Bureau has documented alligators feeding on the Asian carp on many occasions.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Interesting. Thanks for posting, Bossman.

Woolly Bugger

Happy 85th Birthday, Blue Ridge Parkway!

>>>September 11 marks the 85th birthday of the Blue Ridge Parkway! On that day in 1935, construction began at Cumberland Knob, on the border between Virginia and North Carolina, which became the first recreation area in the new national park unit. The monumental task of building the Parkway started as a New Deal-era project under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Travelers were finally able to drive the entire route in 1987 with the opening of the final section, the Linn Cove Viaduct. That's right, for 52 years of its history, the Parkway was under construction!

We are grateful for those who worked to complete all 469 miles of the scenic route and those members of the National Park Service who protect it today.

We'd like to thank you for playing an important role in the story of this amazing national park unit. For more than 20 years, donors have made so much possible—renovations of historic landmarks, wildlife studies, overlook clearing, trail repairs, and so much more. Your commitment to the Parkway makes it a better place today, tomorrow, and for the decades to come!

https://www.brpfoundation.org/blog/happy-85th-birthday-blue-ridge-parkway?fbclid=IwAR3I5ZkBmLicIldvyK-bQ6WTUfH7rgBGQZV3iVhaLtJCcwlLzHrE4f3gEKM
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

23.5 miles have been closed near Roanoke since April 2. Slope failures due to heavy rain.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Breaking 175-year tradition.

>>>In an urgent and impassioned editorial first published online Tuesday, the editorial board endorsed former vice president Joe Biden, the Democratic nominee, calling him the candidate "who is offering fact-based plans to protect our health, our economy and the environment."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/scientific-american-backs-biden-for-its-first-presidential-endorsement-in-175-years/ar-BB194NvS?ocid=msedgntp
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutrus

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on September 16, 2020, 07:23:57 AMBreaking 175-year tradition.

>>>In an urgent and impassioned editorial first published online Tuesday, the editorial board endorsed former vice president Joe Biden, the Democratic nominee, calling him the candidate "who is offering fact-based plans to protect our health, our economy and the environment."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/scientific-american-backs-biden-for-its-first-presidential-endorsement-in-175-years/ar-BB194NvS?ocid=msedgntp

Not much risk of  losing many subscribers, as it's doubtful many in the trump base read a science publication.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Here's the editorial.  Interesting.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/scientific-american-endorses-joe-biden/

>>>The evidence and the science show that Donald Trump has badly damaged the U.S. and its people—because he rejects evidence and science. The most devastating example is his dishonest and inept response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which cost more than 190,000 Americans their lives by the middle of September. He has also attacked environmental protections, medical care, and the researchers and public science agencies that help this country prepare for its greatest challenges. That is why we urge you to vote for Joe Biden, who is offering fact-based plans to protect our health, our economy and the environment. These and other proposals he has put forth can set the country back on course for a safer, more prosperous and more equitable future.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

2 Men Working to Map World War II Bombs Are Killed by One

>>>Unexploded world war-era munitions are still a problem in many parts of Europe — dozens of devices, including grenades, are removed each year from backyards, fields and construction sites in Britain, France and Germany. But while the discoveries, which happen with surprising regularity, often prompt evacuations, damage is uncommon.

But in the Solomon Islands, a country where more than 75 percent of the population works as agricultural laborers, the buried munitions can make farming a fatal occupation. "They are scared of their land," Mr. Rodsted said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/2-men-working-to-map-world-war-ii-bombs-are-killed-by-one/ar-BB19glz1?ocid=msedgntp

Crazy world... I read Aftermath: The Remnants of War: From Landmines to Chemical Warfare--The Devastating Effects of Modern Combat a few years back and it's fascinating and disturbing that there is so much UXO all over the world...

me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 21, 2020, 09:56:05 AM2 Men Working to Map World War II Bombs Are Killed by One

>>>Unexploded world war-era munitions are still a problem in many parts of Europe — dozens of devices, including grenades, are removed each year from backyards, fields and construction sites in Britain, France and Germany. But while the discoveries, which happen with surprising regularity, often prompt evacuations, damage is uncommon.

But in the Solomon Islands, a country where more than 75 percent of the population works as agricultural laborers, the buried munitions can make farming a fatal occupation. "They are scared of their land," Mr. Rodsted said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/2-men-working-to-map-world-war-ii-bombs-are-killed-by-one/ar-BB19glz1?ocid=msedgntp

Crazy world... I read Aftermath: The Remnants of War: From Landmines to Chemical Warfare--The Devastating Effects of Modern Combat a few years back and it's fascinating and disturbing that there is so much UXO all over the world...

That is screwed up. Our tendency to kill each other never ceases to amaze me.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

Why are there unexploded bombs in the Pacific islands?

The death of two bomb-disposal experts in the Solomon Islands has put the spotlight on a decades-old problem in the Pacific. Why are the islands dotted with bombs? And why is the danger increasing?

>>>When Australians think about our Pacific Island neighbours, we picture pristine beaches, verdant jungles and delicious fresh seafood.

At least, that's the cliche.

But in a year in which a global pandemic has killed nearly a million people, the deaths of two people – Newcastle man Trent Lee, 40, and British national Luke Atkinson, 57 –in a bomb blast captured headlines and left many shocked. Lee and Atkinson were working for Norwegian People's Aid, an organisation that operates in 19 countries to remove undetonated wartime explosives.

How on Earth was a piece of unexploded ordnance (known as UXO) from World War II discovered in suburban Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands – 75 years after the war ended? Was this unusual? And what is being done about this lethal legacy?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

An explosive ordnance disposal technician clears one of the 600 caves that contain grenades and other explosives on the island of Peleliu in the Republic of Palau.CREDIT:JOHN RODSTED

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/why-are-there-unexploded-bombs-in-the-pacific-islands-20200922-p55xzl.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

this org came up in my interwebnews

https://halousa.quorum.us/

sent a letter to the politicians in D.C.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://wr.al/1J1gr

You cannot view this attachment.

<-;:  :cheers  :wave

Driver having a party?
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://www.porkbusiness.com/article/feral-swine-aerial-eradication-begins-havasu-refuge

>>> Portions of the 37,515-acre Havasu National Wildlife Refuge (HNWR) located on the lower Colorado River in Arizona and California will be temporarily closed to allow for the aerial eradication of feral swine. This marks the seventh aerial operation to eradicate feral swine from the refuge.
me -There's a season?