Dark side - Unlimited Euro Nymphing

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 08, 2021, 12:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

<-;:
You cannot view this attachment.

:o  :o  <-;:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

greg

That their new euro rod? Cool

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

greg

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 09, 2021, 12:29:59 PMYou cannot view this attachment.

Any commentary you'd like to share?  Looks like is working well for you.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Questions?

1. I've been tying my dropper about 12 inches above the point fly with a triple surgeon's knot. How in the heck do you keep that dangling fly from tangling when you are moving from one spot to another and have the point fly in a eye of the rod? Is it better to keep it low on the hook keeper and then just pull the leader out?

2. I understand that the above method is for competition, is it just as effective to tie a dropper to the bend of the hook? (not allowed in competition)?

3. When moving from a run that is 3-4 feet deep and then you want to fish a 6 foot deep run, do you just retie the whole damn tippet or do you nail or 3x surgeon's an extension?

if ya'll don't come up with suitable answers, I'm gonna have to call Mr. Tom Rosenbauer, 'cause he's the one that got me in this mess in the first place..
me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 20, 2021, 08:18:36 AMQuestions?

1. I've been tying my dropper about 12 inches above the point fly with a triple surgeon's knot. How in the heck do you keep that dangling fly from tangling when you are moving from one spot to another and have the point fly in a eye of the rod? Is it better to keep it low on the hook keeper and then just pull the leader out?

2. I understand that the above method is for competition, is it just as effective to tie a dropper to the bend of the hook? (not allowed in competition)?

3. When moving from a run that is 3-4 feet deep and then you want to fish a 6 foot deep run, do you just retie the whole damn tippet or do you nail or 3x surgeon's an extension?

if ya'll don't come up with suitable answers, I'm gonna have to call Mr. Tom Rosenbauer, 'cause he's the one that got me in this mess in the first place..

From a few years of half-assed hybrid sort-of Euro'ing:

1:Hook keeper. Short dropper. I usually only run the tag-end dropper a couple-three inches long. If it gets too short to tie on another fly, clip it back to the knot, and tie a short piece of line on above the knot with an improved clinch knot. Works just as well.

2:No.

3:When I am tying my rig, I'll tie it for the deepest water I expect to fish. In shallower water, just hold the rod up higher with only the amount of leader you need actually in the water.

4: Tom will tell you that all you need to do to solve all your problems is to buy an Orvis Helios 3D.  :laugh:

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

I had no idea euro nymphing involved a dropper tied above an anchor fly.  Seems like a pain in the rear to cast that rig.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Big J on June 23, 2021, 11:37:54 AMI had no idea euro nymphing involved a dropper tied above an anchor fly.  Seems like a pain in the rear to cast that rig.

I've always fished two nymphs, no matter the method. And I hardly ever cast in the classic sense when I'm nymph fishing. It's a close-range lobbing/rolling scenario. I want the nymphs drifting right under my rod tip, if possible. I've also usually got a split shot between the point fly and the dropper.

Dougfish

For me.
Off the tippet ring:
3' 5x
Tie 2.5' 6x onto that with a double uni knot leaving a 6" tag of 6x
Tie dropper, unweighted/weighted to tag.
Tie tungston weighted point fly to bottom of 6x.
No split shot.

Like Yaller, I just lift up for shallower water, lower for deeper water.
Using 2' of flouro indicater above tippet ring.
A soft hackle on the dropper tag can be lifted up to flutter at the surface. 
I tie on a new 6x tag if it gets too short. Uni knot to 5x. slides down and jams on old knot.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

itieuglyflies

Woolly- ( your dangling problem- sounds like a medical condition). A good way to keep the dropper fly behaving when moving spot to spot is to first determine where the dropper will be when to point fly is secured in the keeper. Then just take one of the small dentil elastic bands and put it on your rod at this location....now you have a second hook keeper and its moveable.

Trout Maharishi

I use this system for all my nymph fishing now. Tying on the dropper in this position keeps it from tangling better than the old way of tying the dropper off of the point fly. Tippet rings help, I keep the dropper so short it doesn't get in the way usually. https://th.bing.com/th/id/Raf5c5e230f5e8e80514d03733c4364c3?rik=kmyEQu9cyZp7lg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fgilflyfishing.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2011%2f06%2fEuro-Nymphing-Leader-Setup.jpg&ehk=o3Fz28AwhTaA0Uw3a2lFh30lCDPoYua7VktdW2MSzEo%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 23, 2021, 17:45:55 PMI use this system for all my nymph fishing now. Tying on the dropper in this position keeps it from tangling better than the old way of tying the dropper off of the point fly. Tippet rings help, I keep the dropper so short it doesn't get in the way usually. https://th.bing.com/th/id/Raf5c5e230f5e8e80514d03733c4364c3?rik=kmyEQu9cyZp7lg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fgilflyfishing.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2011%2f06%2fEuro-Nymphing-Leader-Setup.jpg&ehk=o3Fz28AwhTaA0Uw3a2lFh30lCDPoYua7VktdW2MSzEo%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Yep. My go-to is 4x. Sometimes 5x. No need for 6x around here usually in the stretches I'm nymph fishing.

Trout Maharishi

I resisted this method until I fished with a couple of people that I watched basically vacuum shin deep run after run.  :bow I might be better at it but I haven bought a 10'+ rod to do it with. I just use a 9' rod.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski