News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

The Ditch/Stone Mtn

Started by stonedfly17, February 13, 2007, 11:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonedfly17

Fished the ditchell for the first time yesterday. Parked at the dam dam and fished upstream from there. There were a few fish rising by the parking area but the dam ducks near the dam dam kept putting them down. Went upstream a little ways and found a stretch with around 100 fish stacked like cordwood hugging the bottom. No room for a backcast, too deep to wade and the fish were all on the opposite side of the river. Had a heck of a time trying to roll cast 30-40 feet of line from my perch atop some downed trees next to bank. Had a big ole fat muskrat swim under me and managed to pull one out on a prince nymph before heading upstream.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Walked upstream a little ways and only saw a couple more fish and no way to really get down to the water in most places due to brush and fences. Is there an easier way to get down to the water? It looked to be pretty easy going from the opposite bank but I didn't want to walk through the guys yard across from the dam. Got bored and a bit frustrated and decided to head to stone mtn. to finish the day. Pulled into the last lot and was delighted to see no other cars. Not a single car anywhere upstream either. Started out below the bridge and worked my way up.

Missed one on a yellow madame x and had a LDR on the copper john dropper shortly after. With all the talk about the fish being gone I wasn't expecting much. I didn't see any fish until I got past the bridge into the slow water. Found a pod of about 15 or so working a sporadic midge hatch. Caught one on a small bwo and missed a couple.

The fish never spooked so I worked them for a while. Ended up catching one more bow on a 24 adams and a couple more LDRs to finish the day.

And with all the talk about poaching and such, I thought some of you may find this interesting.

I got hung on this log and found this bow's head laying on it. Something got a hold of it and it looked to be fairly fresh. The only other people I saw fishing were a couple of guys with spinning gear who seemed to vanish right after I got on stream. It does kind of look like an animal did it though since the point of decapitation is not smooth like a knife cut. Looks like something ripped it off. Wouldn't a bear/bird eat the head too?

troutphisher

Nice post!

Hopefully the bow was eaten by a predator, and not by a poacher.  o-o
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Wow you got some nice fatty bows there, glad to hear that the river is fishing good, you got to work on your casting...  ;D to get to those on the far side... thanks for the report..
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

stonedfly17

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 13, 2007, 15:02:28 PM
Wow you got some nice fatty bows there, glad to hear that the river is fishing good, you got to work on your casting...  ;D to get to those on the far side... thanks for the report..

Yeah, I do need to work on the casting a bit. A 30-40 ft. rollcast with a nymph/split shot is a workout on my 8ft 4wt, loops kept collapsing on me. Maybe I just need to invest in a bigger rod for those tricky situations...

phg

Some nice looking 'bows.  My guess on the fish would be an otter.  They don't seem to care much for fishheads.... :P

Bloy

Really nice looking bows. Great lookin' water. Good camera work. Thanks for sharing with us.
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

lepomis_mcro

loving the pics.. i was thinking about fishing ole stinky this weekend. and there is going to be a river clean up sat march 3 at 8am. if your going to be up there either weekend give a hollar
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

phg

Who's sponsoring the cleanup?  You talking Stone Mt or the Mitchel?

lepomis_mcro

it will be at the mitchell... stone mnt TU  is sponsoring, with help from the CFFC

http://www.carolinaflyfishingclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Larry

That is a beautiful stream. I will have to find a  way to get to NC to fish it. I'm glad that you guys did as well as you did.