News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Ambrosia

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, March 19, 2012, 19:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

There is little that compares to the ritual of digging ramps and enjoying that first tonic of spring.  A quick hike to the patch, followed by a wolf nap, and then a great meal of ramps with medium rare venison tenderloin, makes for a fine evening.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

flatlander

Man, my mouth is watering.  I've never heard of ramps though...some sort of wild onion?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

22midge

Mudwall you are a man of my heart.The life I chose took me away from the mountains and the time spent on the headwaters of Tea Creek and wading the Williams River back to camp.Cooking on the open fire and enjoying the tender morsels...."that could be smelled for 40 damn miles"Springtime back then I guess was the beginning of another chance to chase the painted fish with friends and maybe dig a poke full of them fine tasting morsels.Thanks for taking me back...enjoyed the time.Be safe
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

tomato can

Ramps, cressy greens, fiddle heads reminds me of a head injured patient that picked wild mushrooms and sold 'em to all the fancy restaurants.  I asked her how she remembered the good mushrooms from the bad mushrooms seeing that she couldn't remember a 3-4 number sequence.  She never answered and two weeks later was sent to the big house trying to pass a fake script for oxycodene.

Beetle

What the..?    I thought this was going to be about Woolly's favorite easy listening band...  :P

Stone-Man

Flat
A word of caution from the Cave Man.

Ramps are great to eat w/ deer steak like Muddy says, but they give some people (like Me) the bellering shits.

I mean you gotta shit in the creek to keep from burning the woods down  :o

JT

Transylwader

Im doing it all wrong b'; Should be eating what groweth in the woods and not what makes me into a cyberglutton.
I'm def gonna head to the Graham Co ramp festival this side in June -0-

Jfey

Ditto what JT said, they are tasty, but they can mess you up for a while.  Also, you should plan on smelling like them for a day or two after.  I've been to a few ramp festivels in WV.  you don't need a map, just follow the smell :o
Yup, going fishing

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

They do play havoc with the insides of some.  And the smell does creep from your pores.  I was trained on onion sets at my grandfather's country store when I was a kid, so I always eat a dozen, or so, raw when I am cleaning them.

If you do attend a Ramp festival, be sure to eat a few raw.  There should always be cleaned, uncooked ones on the table.  With the raw, you get the true flavor and texture.

The fest in Richwood WV is my favorite.

22midge

man could you imagine about 25-30 of this crowd up in Richwood for a 3day weekend...........as the man said "come on we've got graves to dig"... -0- -0- -0-
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

flatlander

Quote from: Stone-Man on March 20, 2012, 16:16:45 PM
Flat
A word of caution from the Cave Man.

Ramps are great to eat w/ deer steak like Muddy says, but they give some people (like Me) the bellering shits.

I mean you gotta shit in the creek to keep from burning the woods down  :o

JT

Important safety tip.  Thanks JT :D

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Peewee, I don't know if we should sacrifice 25-30 of our BRFFF brethren to the perils of Richwood WV.  Perhaps a small contingent on a one day reconnaissance would be more prudent.

I have a plan.  We can't send just anyone; we need men with a certain kind of moxie, with fortitude to survive under unpleasant, despicable conditions.  Wait a second!!!!!  Why deploy our best?  Why risk the termination of our finest?  Let's send Petey, Mclovin, and Woolly on the recon mission to Richwood!  We can call it The 2012 Rippin and Tearin Tour featuring The Village People (Version 0.5).  Petey can sport his cowboy boots and hat, Woolly can wear his sandals and convertible fishing pants, and Mclovin can wear .......... well, Mclovin just needs to be Mclovin.  The only training the three will require is how to master squealing like a pig; the rest, I feel, they can handle.  If they survive and return with intel, then we can commence with the prep for the 2013 campaign.

22midge

Hey I realize that sacrifice is needed to move forward and those that accept the challenge  will be appreciated.If only one small parcel of the fine morsels make it through the lines and back to the Carolina's the the effort will not go unnoticed.