News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Slow Fishing and High-Holed TR

Started by Phil, June 09, 2017, 20:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

I left late Tuesday afternoon for a getaway to the GSMNP. I had high hopes. The weather was great, the scenery even better, but the fishing was not so good. I had decided to bypass the main river (said to hold mostly rainbows and a few browns) and concentrate on two feeder prongs for brookies. Wednesday started out slow, but I caught some nice fish. Missed getting pics of most due to my clumsiness with the camera, rod, and fish juggling. I had to work for the fish. Water was high and difficult. Had a nice evening around the camp.
Thursday, I was ready for some more action. I hit the stream early and started fishing up. After a while, I began to wonder what was wrong. Very slow fishing. Caught a couple of real small ones. I was climbing up the bank to the trail to bypass a logjam when I ran into another fisherman coming down the trail. He had just fished all the water before me. Durn. High-holed. He had spooked the brookie stream. No wonder I wasn't doing so good. Oh, well.

A shy one before he flopped out of the net -- one of many to do so--

A nice couple of days in an area that is no secret.

Dougfish

Phil in da woods.  'c;
I love a campfire.

I see you were fishing dries. Did you also fish a dropper?
The dropper will entice the shy ones, imho.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

I tried the dropper rig for a while, Doug. No takers on the nymphs.

Onslow

Dee-Vo

Making the best of it. Good shit, Phil.

driver

been a long time since I've been to that valley.  Don't really miss that drive  ;D  I need to solo camp again been a while. Goot chit!

croaker

Looks damn fine from here!

Ain't Life Grand!!!

croaker
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Big J

Looks like a good time to me. Glad to see you got out in the woods

Stone-Man

Good stuff, Phil
I don't know how you caught all those fish without me to bird dog them for you   :P

Stone-Man Back to Cave

Jfey

Yup, going fishing

itieuglyflies

Let's see ....beautiful country, a stream with trouts, a nice camp and a roaring fire . Sounds pretty good to me. Plus no report of the wind from hell trying to blow you away at 2 AM. Glad you got out.

hcrum87hc

Looks like a good time to me.  I've been meaning to camp there for a couple of years now. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to do so soon.
Jeremiah 17:7

Yallerhammer

Excellent! You were in my back yard. BTW, the main creek fishes great early in the morning. There are some big browns in there.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

Thanks for all the responses to a fairly mediocre trip (catching fish wise, that is). It's a beautiful area. Also the first camp/fish trip I've been on in years where it didn't rain, hail, snow, or tornado.

BrookieHunter

Looks like a good trip  'c; and don't feel bad for not catching a ton of fish. You caught way more than I did on my last trip to that area. b';