Would anyone suggest to me a good camera to do videos on? - Rod Champion

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 11, 2012, 09:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Rod Champion on January 09, 2012, 15:50:24 PM

Would anyone suggest to me a good camera to do videos on.  I have  to start some for the web page. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rod
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Depends on how much money you want to spend and what kind of production value you need to achieve.

HD 720p is all you really need for YouTube vidoes, but 1020p is an option as well, it's just bigger files and longer processing....

Digital SLR cameras are now considered semi-pro video cameras, models include the Nikon $2,200, or the Canon EOS 7D @$1,500.
These camera offer great HD capabilities with interchangeable lenses. Major drawback it the Audio Quality, external microphones are an option as are separate audio recorders, like the Zoom H4n.

Point and Shoot cameras also have HD recording capabilities, some have interchangeable lenses, other are not. Models include the Canon G12 @ $350, Canon GX 1 @ $799, Nikon 1 @ $600 ~ $800.

Waterproof Point & Shoot still and video cameras are the best around water for obvious reasons, but the video quality isn't up to par with the others. Models include Olympus Tough series, $200, Pentax Optio $210, these have zoom lenses, but there are others like the Hero and Playsport that have fixed lenses and are from $250 to $300

Then you are going to need some sort of video editing software to add titles and the like, which ranges from $100, to $800.

0:0

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

The Dude

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have been toying with the idea of making an HD camcorder purchase.  I am interested in any insight into video compression formats (mp4, brand specific, etc) and memory types (flash, hard disk, tape, etc).  I don't plan on submitting any entries into the Sundance film festival, but I do want to start fiddling around with making small videos of fishing trips and such.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to help me make a semi-informed purchase when the time comes.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: The Dude on January 11, 2012, 11:33:04 AM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have been toying with the idea of making an HD camcorder purchase.  I am interested in any insight into video compression formats (mp4, brand specific, etc) and memory types (flash, hard disk, tape, etc).  I don't plan on submitting any entries into the Sundance film festival, but I do want to start fiddling around with making small videos of fishing trips and such.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to help me make a semi-informed purchase when the time comes.

H.264 is the hot compression format.

tape is dead, hard drives fail and flash memory is in

here's the lowdown on video compression...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression#Video_quality

me -There's a season?

FoulHook

I very recently got geared up after wanting to make videos for a long time. Flip Ultra HD seemed to be a great model for compact hd camcorder, problem was it wasn't waterproof like the Kodak playsports, which I feel doesn't have comparable video quality, but that could be just me.

Cisco is currently in the process of shutting down their Flip line of cameras and as far as I know have completely stopped production, which have resulted in extremely low prices for used cameras. I was able to pick up a second generation, model U2120 (not the newest model) Flip Ultra HD 8gb which shoots 2 hours of 720p HD video, and works with 2 AA batteries for only $25 on ebay. Another $25 on ebay got me the Flip Underwater Case, and a $16 gorilla pod on amazon completed the outfit. The reason I didn't get the newest model flip is because they didn't make the Underwater Case for the newest model.

I have iMovie on Mac, so didn't need to buy any extra editing software.

I'm not an expert, and really just got started researching and actually shooting and editing video about a month ago. I really just shot, edited, and uploaded my first full(ish) fishing video last weekend. The Flip Ultra HD has been everything I expected of it so far. I will probably know more after I make a few more videos this spring and summer. That being said, I would really love to have a GoPro HD Hero2  ;D
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

sheepfly

are you guys not fans of the gopro? it can be hands free and is supposed to be bomb proof.

http://gopro.com/

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: sheepfly on January 11, 2012, 18:03:23 PM
are you guys not fans of the gopro? it can be hands free and is supposed to be bomb proof.

sure it is da bomb for sports videos, but I don't like the fact that it is Fixed Focus, Wide Angle only! That give you very little control to make a good video, everything will have that wild angle look, you have to get real close to your subject and then there is some distortion.

my two cents...
me -There's a season?

FoulHook

Quote from: sheepfly on January 11, 2012, 18:03:23 PM

Woolly and I both mentioned it. I don't have any experience with it (and as far as I know Woolly doesn't either) so I can't speak about it from experience. It looks and sounds great, but comes with the price tag of greatness.

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 11, 2012, 10:10:38 AM
Waterproof Point & Shoot still and video cameras are the best around water for obvious reasons, but the video quality isn't up to par with the others. Models include Olympus Tough series, $200, Pentax Optio $210, these have zoom lenses, but there are others like the Hero and Playsport that have fixed lenses and are from $250 to $300

Quote from: FoulHook on January 11, 2012, 16:39:17 PM
That being said, I would really love to have a GoPro HD Hero2  ;D

Woolly Bugger

Right now I shoot with my olympus SW which is Std. Def. and a Kodak Playsport, I use the 720p 60 setting, in case I want to do some slow mo...

here is a little video that was put together with footage from the Playsport.

The reason that I bought it was 1. it is waterproof, and 2. it was cheap. There are a lot of things I don't like about it; user interface, lack of a zoom, vertical body style, need a tripod if you set it down (unless you are shooting the sky) crappy software are among the top reasons ...
me -There's a season?

FoulHook

Sellout.woot.com has the Toshiba CAMILEO 1080p Waterproof Camcorder today only for $60. Looks like a decent deal to me.

http://sellout.woot.com/

jwhop3

I just got my GoPro Hero last week. I can't speak for the price, as I got it from 5 years of service at my job, so didn't hurt my wallet any. I've made an improptu HatCam mount on the brim of my camo ballcap by just sticking the curved mount with Gorilla Glue. Not as heavy as using the real HatCam and the tripod mount for the GoPro.  It fits okay, gets a great perspective, is a little heavy mounted, but I think I can get used to it.  I don't have any fishing footage yet, but when I do, will post.

One thing to note, you have to modify the lens on the housing for underwater use, as the lens is curved, which makes underwater shots blurry.  Anyone interested in the GoPro should read this link.
http://jazzandflyfishing.com/?p=2256
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~