News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 12:15:22 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/02/us/sacred-land-rappahannock-tribe-trnd/index.html

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>The Rappahannock Tribe, a Native Tribe in Virginia, has reacquired 465 acres of sacred land at Fones Cliff.

Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland and US Fish and Wildlife Service Director Martha Williams celebrated the tribe's reacquisiton of the land Friday, according to a press release from the Department of the Interior.

"We have worked for many years to restore this sacred place to the Tribe," said Rappahannock Tribe Chief Anne Richardson, according to the Chesapeake Conservancy. "With eagles being prayer messengers, this area where they gather has always been a place of natural, cultural and spiritual importance."

Fones Cliff is the ancestral home of the tribe, located on the eastern side of the Rappahannock River in Virginia. The area, located inside the Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge, will be publicly accessible and placed in trust with the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The Tribe plans to educate the public about their history by constructing a replica 16th-century village and expand their "Return to the River" program, which trains Tribal youth in traditional river knowledge and practices.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/02/us/sacred-land-rappahannock-tribe-trnd/index.html

The Gravel Bar / Disco's Dad
Last post by Trout Maharishi - Today at 06:23:54 AM
Disco's dad passed a couple of days ago. He might appreciate a call or pm. The service is Sunday.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Salmon / Steelhe...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - August 11, 2022, 09:47:40 AM
Judge bars pesticide spraying in Miramichi Lake until hearing

>>>A judge has barred a group from spraying a chemical in the Miramichi Lake area until a lawsuit filed by local cottage owners can be heard.

Spraying of rotenone, a pesticide and piscicide, was scheduled Wednesday to eradicate invasive smallmouth bass, according to court documents.

On Tuesday, Justice Terrence Morrison made an order preventing any spraying until the lawsuit objecting to it is heard on Aug. 17.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/miramichi-rotenone-spraying-court-1.6546868
Last post by Woolly Bugger - August 11, 2022, 07:28:49 AM
Miramichi Lake cottagers told rotenone spraying will happen Wednesday

Salmon conservation groups have been concerned that a growing population of smallmouth bass in Miramichi Lake, Lake Brook and a portion of the Southwest Miramichi River is threatening Atlantic salmon as well as brook trout native to the waters.

The spraying of the pesticide rotenone received official approval and was set to happen last August, but grandmothers and mothers from Wolastoqey First Nations were concerned about the environmental impact. They began paddling on the lake, which prevented the spraying

This year, the smallmouth bass eradication group said it were determined to carry out the spraying this summer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/chemical-spraying-miramichi-lake-1.6546176
Last post by Woolly Bugger - August 11, 2022, 07:27:33 AM
River Tweed fish stock concerns grow amid low water levels

The River Tweed Commission (RTC) has warned current water scarcity plans are inadequate to protect its fish stocks.

It is concerned at the "significant problems" being created by low water levels and high temperatures on Atlantic salmon, sea and brown trout.

The group wants a review of the system still allowing water extraction from the river by industry and agriculture.

The Scottish government said it worked closely with experts to decide what actions to take to tackle scarcity.

There have been a series of water scarcity warnings from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) so far this year with the east of the country more badly affected than the west.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-62464403
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Fly Fishing News...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - August 11, 2022, 07:24:55 AM
California Fire and Floods Turn a River to 'Sludge,' Killing Thousands of Fish

>>>As a deadly fire continued to burn last week in the Klamath National Forest in Northern California, Kenneth Brink, a local fisherman, counted dead fish in a river that had turned to the consistency of "chocolate milk."

Mr. Brink, 45, a member of the Karuk Tribe, lives in Happy Camp, a town of less than 900 people on the Klamath River, in Siskiyou County, Calif. The town is near the border with Oregon. On Friday, he drove about 20 miles upstream, where he made the grim discovery: thousands of dead suckerfish, salmon and trout, many floating belly up.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/us/mckinney-fire-fish-california-oregon.html
The Gravel Bar / Re: Durn Tick Bite
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - August 11, 2022, 07:13:35 AM
Good luck with the ticks and their bites.  As I've said before, spider, mosquito, black fly, bee, or most other critter bites or stings do not alarm me.   BUT, ticks frighten the hell out of me!  No concrete proof, but I am convinced ticks are harboring nasties yet unknown.
BRFFF Fly Swaps / Re: Anybody interested in a 20...
Last post by Fishbug - August 10, 2022, 21:58:46 PM
Whoa delayed response--you mean you havent lost all the flies yet?! :drum
Last post by Phil - August 10, 2022, 13:16:10 PM
Quote from: Onslow on August 10, 2022, 13:06:21 PMIt took 14 months for my last tick bite to completely stop itching.

I do not know why I clicked "like" on that post....  :o
Last post by Onslow - August 10, 2022, 13:06:21 PM
It took 14 months for my last tick bite to completely stop itching.

Support the BRFFF