Initial meeting to form a fly fishing club

Started by Peddler, June 18, 2006, 23:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peddler

A meeting to hash over the formation of a fly fishing club.
Date: Tuesday, June 27 2006, 7:00 PM
Place: The new Gander Mountain meeting room. Exit 36 off of I-77 in Mooresville.
Host: Dave Duffy
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Peddler

Just bumping this up!
It looks to be a decent turn-out shaping up from the emails and PM's I've received elsewhere.
It's a good chance to help shape this thing if it takes off!

Stone-Man

Jack
When I come north bound on I-77 and get to Exit 36.  Where is Gander ?

JT

Peddler

When you get off at Exit 36 head west and at the 1st light make a right hand turn. It's down that road past Applebee's and Walmart.
The Duffster and I will be at Applebee's around 6:00. He needs a little 'courage'!  ;D

Oldman

Head EAST from exit 36.  That would be a right if you are heading north and a left if your heading south. Go to the first traffic light and turn right and go staight until you run in to the store parking lot.  The store parking lot borders the I-77 right of way.

Once again, head EAST not WEST from I 77

Peddler

'head west'  ???

Go EAST as the old man says!  ;)

Yeah... I screwed up!  Sorry! o-o

troutjedi

Jack,

Give us an update......I had planned on making the trip, but had some last minute familial responsibilities.  DOH!!!

Peddler

Bamboo10, Duffy and myself built up some courage at Applebee's then went over to Gander Mountain. The girl at the desk told us about 5 people were waiting... it was more like 20!
Duffy layed out details tweaked over the years on how to get and keep a successful club. It seems to me everyone there was on the same page, even Old Man... ;)  and now the work starts.
There has been quite a bit of talk about competing with TU or the PFF. It doesn't have to be that way. If you recall, we all got together for open houses, 1,000 member get togethers and creek clean-ups and, if anything, it grew the ranks of all parties involved, including the PFF. I know of one successful club where most members hold TU membership cards, manage to attend TU meetings and join in TU projects. That club also donates thousands of dollars to TU projects and rewards TU with hundreds of man-hours making streams that much better.
We are still in the process of setting goals and agendas and making a format that will promote fly fishing in this area. Some idea's tossed around were club and public schools, activity and speaker meetings and outings all over the map. I know with the knowledge that was present at the meeting that any school or class we decide on holding will be nothing less than first class!
There are many succesful clubs in the states. Atlanta has one as does Michigan (www.mffc.org) There are also clubs that fell by the wayside. It seems the FFF has a good handle on what it takes to start a club and grow one. They also seem to know why clubs fail. We'll tap that resource big-time.
Everyone in attendance agreed to make it an FFF affiliated club. So far, your FFF dues are your club membership dues. We might tack on an extra $5-10.00 just for club use.
It's new. That is the best time to add your 2 cents about what you want out of a club.

As it stands now, four of us were picked to get the ball rolling. We will be meeting shortly to further dial things in.
We'll keep you apprised of any progress.

This could be a 'good 'urn!  ;)

Oldman

A good way to start a club would be by not making fun of or light of anyone. Yes, that was for you Jack. (By the way, the Grab bag was good for my 8 year old)

Anyway, there has not been a meeting yet. This was a get together to determine if there where enough interest to form a "club". Seems that the interest is there. I did not know that anyone was elected or even nominated to any positions at all. Bob, aka Devins dad, voluntered to do some work to help form a club, but other than that what else happened. Nothing. We really need to have another meeting to elect officers to hold positions and use some parlimentery proceedures. Just a suggestion.

Peddler

Four people raised their hands to volunteer to kick things off if you remember, you sensitive old coot!  ;)
That meeting will take place next Thursday at a place yet to be determined.
The four are by no means officers. They are there just to compile means of communications and such.
There WILL be elections, by-laws and all sorts of things to keep things on the up-and-up.

Hope the 8 year old enjoyed the free gift!

Oldman

Old Coot. Thats fine. Sensitive, dont think so. Cant wait til the next meeting as long as it is close by.