Smith River Brown Trout 10-24" Slot Limit is a "Done Deal"

Started by Al, October 06, 2010, 13:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Received this email from Scott Smith @ Virginia DGIF today. (He gave permission to post it)

"FYI - Our Board passed the slot limit proposal for the Smith R yesterday.  It will go into effect on Jan 1st.  It was passed as submitted, meaning that they did not make any last-minute changes.  So, beginning Jan 1, all 10-24" brown trout will have to be released, and there will be no gear restrictions in what is currently the special regs area.  I will be getting some signs made up this fall, and will make sure they are posted by Jan 1st.  I will probably be looking to SRTU for assistance with putting up these signs.  There will be an adjustment period while folks get used to the new limits, but I think this will improve the fishing in the long run"

5xTippett

That is what we have been waiting on!  Great news, Al! 

jwhop3

Like I've said before. Watch for poachers and report them vigilantly. If this reg is enforced it can make a huge improvement in the fishery.  But if no one polices it, the population will be decimated.

I was kinda dissapointed, but not surprised, to not see a revised ruling on Kings Grants rights and access. I just think that screams "taxation without representation."  I'm all for private property rights and I hate Eminent Domain laws, but how one river can be governed as public right of way, and another can be goverened as "getthehellouttahere" when both are navigable is a crock. Especially when it is rooted in a law enacted by an English king that no US citizen ever voted on. But,  b'; what are you gonna do?
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

5xTippett

I just hung up the phone from talking with Scott.  He thinks this will make a difference over the next two years.  As far as poachers go, they are going to do what they have always done.  The new laws are more or less for the law abiding.  If everybody who normally obeys the law abides by the new regulations it will accomplish what it is supposed to. 

22midge

troutrus Im going to have to totally agree with you on the change to the special regs section.I honestly believe it would have been wrong to ask so many to change and then try to keep the spec.regs just to satisfy a few.Scott believes this will be good for the river.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

flyman

What are you going to eat now Midge, most of your fish are too big to creel. Thank goodness I know 5X, he always brings me 15-20 when he goes. ;D
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

22midge

flyman I just head up in the park when I want fish to eat.I like to catch-em when you can stand them on their head in a pint jar and fill it with mad dog.Let it set for about three days and eat them like sardines.The mad dog makes you dont care if their cooked or not.Our buddy 5x has to keep a lot of the fish because they tie the beetle on a treble hook.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

5xTippett

Flyman, I am not gonna feed all of your entourage anymore.  You are worse than a professional boxer. >:D

22midge

5x you might have to wean them off those Smith River brownies.......nothing as mean as a bunch of hungry midgets.

Larry

I sincerely hope that this change works like everyone here seems to think  that it will. However, I was opposed to the change orginally and I still am, but hope I am wrong about the negive effect this will have.

I would like to comment about one thing. The special reg section never stopped anyone for fishing that section of the Smith. It only required that they use single hook, artifically lures and released anything smalle than 16 inches. And, you still have to have a trout stamp for any steam that is stocked.

some of the comments that were made about it could only be fished by a few people etc. were just plain wrong.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Larry on November 22, 2010, 15:53:41 PM
I sincerely hope that this change works like everyone here seems to think  that it will. However, I was opposed to the change orginally and I still am, but hope I am wrong about the negive effect this will have.

I would like to comment about one thing. The special reg section never stopped anyone for fishing that section of the Smith. It only required that they use single hook, artifically lures and released anything smalle than 16 inches. And, you still have to have a trout stamp for any steam that is stocked.

some of the comments that were made about it could only be fished by a few people etc. were just plain wrong.

You rich people just want the whole river to yourselves ;D :-* >:D Besides it might mess up the fish counters numbers :laugh: :P
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Al

Quote from: Larry on November 22, 2010, 15:53:41 PM

What was just plain wrong was all the a-holes who fished bait in the lower section and up near the fish camp and kept everything they caught no matter the size. Now they will be able to fish it and the rest of the river legally but can only keep the rainbows and small browns. I am sure not many of them will bother to measure but then they just like "getting over on the man" anyway.

Not sure if this will work but for sure it will not work unless we expose these folks who flagrantly give a middle finger to the law. Yes, I know enforcement will be an issue but we are working on that angle as well.

5xTippett

You still won't have to have a trout stamp in the special regulations.