News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wounded Warriors & NCHCS Fly Fish event @ Pechmann Ctr 9-10-08

Started by Al, September 12, 2008, 12:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center located in Fayetteville, NC hosted a group of Wounded Warriors and NC Handicapped Sportsmen on Wednesday, September 10, 2008. The day started out wet and dreary but that did not slow down folks who already live with daily challenges.

We always have a mix of new comers and others who have attended before. We find it best to start off with a brief introduction and then a break out into groups depending on interests and skill levels. Those that have been with us before and have previously participated in fly tying classes were offered the opportunity to continue to practice their fly tying skills. We are fortunate to have a camera and projector set up which allows the participants to see exactly what our master fly tying volunteer does as he goes step by step through the recipe of simple flies.

Other volunteers observe and offer help as the participants painstakingly cobble together thread, yarn and feathers into what will eventually become a fly which they will  use to catch some of the Center's many species of fish.

Those totally new to the sport of fly fishing start with hands-on instruction in knots and rod assembly.

It stopped raining just in time to move outside for casting instruction. (We recently upgraded our rods with some very generous discounts from two local dealers, Tarheel Fish & Game and Gander Mountain) We start out with a short talk and demonstration. We then move to one of the ponds for work on the basic overhand cast and the roll cast. All practice is done without a fly on the leader.

At least half of every event is spent putting their new skills to the test at one of the Pechmann Center's many ponds which are full of various species of fish to include catfish, bass, bream, shellcrackers and hy-bred striped bass. The fish were in a feeding mood and everyone had a ball catching and releasing them.

We encourage our WW participants to make it a family event - This young lady had a blast catching hy-bred stripers

I am not sure if this young fellow has caught a fish or if the fish has caught him...........

One of the WW found the groove and caught about 30 catfish on a Woollybugger which he tied himself

Our Global War on Terror is being fought by both men and women, which means we also have females among the KIA and wounded ranks. Here is one that, at least for the moment, is not thinking about her next round of medical appointments.

And so ends our most recent Wounded Warrior and NCHCS event. We had a good turnout and everyone had a great time.  I always say to myself afterwards, "You did good Albert". I expect the other volunteers are saying the same thing about their own unselfish efforts.

Our next Wounded Warrior and NC Handicapped Sportsmen event is scheduled for October, 8, 2008 from 1-5pm.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 14, 2008, 12:11:52 PM
Good deal Al...

Here's a wounded vet that should be an inspiration to all of us...

Melissa Stockwell lost her leg in a roadside bomb in Baghdad and is now swimming on the United States Paralympic team in Beijing.

I watched the video clip and it makes all my little aches and pains seem pretty minor. She did not make it to the finals but she sure does not have anything to be ashamed of. It makes you proud to be an American just to listen to her story and see her drive.

dnakamoto

Al looks like a pretty good event.  Im originally from there and was curious if they center has any major technological needs.  I saw the mention of the projector and the help recieved from retailers.  If ever in need you should talk to the team at the local Best Buy.  They help the community down there a lot. 

5xTippett

walt

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

troutphisher

Looks like you had another great turn out AL, thanks for helping the troops!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.