"Poor Mans" Tuna Fishing

Started by Al, September 03, 2008, 15:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I took a journey to the dark side by indulging in some "Poor Mans" tuna fishing yesterday with my long time buddy eBay Steve. Steve loves to fish, and like me it does not matter what he is fishing for as long as it gets us away from the telephone, computer and daily grind of modern day life. Of course big fish on light tackle is icing on the cake. With that in mind he wanted to show me a new style of fishing that was bound to put big bend in our rods.

Here is Captain eBay Steve himself steering us out through the channel to the secret spot known only to him and a few trusted associates.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Next comes the secret bait - notice the can is facing away so as to not give the brand name away.

It was not long before I was tight to a monster of the deep - mind you this was not fly fishing but it was still challenging because I was using a very whippy spinning outfit spooled with 6 pound mono.

"Jona the whale" or was it "Tommy the tuna" was eventually subdued and ready for boating. Now how do I get him in? I certainly can't lift him in with 6 pound mono.

Not to fear, after a few false grabs and lifts he eventually came over the side and posed for his "Kodak moment"

I'd like to report that we hauled them in end over end until our arms ached but that would be stretching the truth. One more big one came in the boat, plus a few small catfish.

But, you know what? We had a heck of a good time. We told stories, laughed a lot and in general enjoyed the moment. As some wise person once said, "A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work every time"

Woolly Bugger

Al, you should try for those tuna with a fly...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

On the Santee in my misspent youth, Jolly Green Giant was the fly of choice!  ;hb

brownhunter

Great day on the water, Al. Thanks for sharing.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

lepomis_mcro

way to seize the carp... was it like fighting a chum?
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Al

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on September 03, 2008, 20:15:46 PM
way to seize the carp... was it like fighting a chum?

Pretty well out in the open so you just had to wear it down and not put to much pressure on it with that 6 pound line. (Oh yeah, try to keep it away from the anchor rope - almost lost both of the ones we caught that way)

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Z-Man

Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

flyg