Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day @ NCWRC Pechmann Ctr 8-8-12

Started by Al, August 08, 2012, 20:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The sun came out just in time today for our monthly Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day at the NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center. These events have been a fixture on the 2nd Wednesday of each month for the past 4 years. The NCWRC provides the venue and local volunteers, many of whom are veterans, provide the oversight and instruction.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Evelyn, the Womack AMC Speech Therapist who has been a faithful supporter of the program brought two of her colleagues and some of her patients to try their hand at fly tying.  Soldiers who suffer from Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) find fly tying to be a challenge which forces them to listen, think and do.

Lot's of interest in fly tying today. Maybe it was because the word was out that the featured fly was the infamous "Allieworm" which is very easy to tie and for some reason known only to the fish is irresistible.

OK, let's see if that hook, thread, yarn and feathers will actually catch a fish?  Well what do you know, I got one already!

First time fly fishing and first time catching a catfish. Love that beautiful smile.

The old man on the right is a Vietnam Vet who remembers how he and his fellow vets were treated. That is not going to happen again on his watch.

Ya got to kiss the first one ladies or you won't catch anymore today!

Lot's damsels today. The way they were taking to fishing gives reason to believe there is hope for long term continuation of the sport.

Yes, we did have some guys as well. This young vet went around to all of the ponds and ended up with a grand slam of catfish, bass and bream.

We had  25 participants today - we would like more, but 25 is better then the recent past and enough to keep the program going. No young kids again today which was a surprise and disappointment. Families with young children are welcome. School will be starting up soon but we don't mind if you meet the bus and bring them at 3:30 right after school. We'll provide the water and gator-aide, you provide the sunscreen and adult supervision. Our next Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation event will be on Wednesday, September 12, 2012. We specialize in fly fishing but have over 200 spin casting outfits for those who want to dunk a worm or try some "stink bait" on the catfish. Hours for these events are from 1:00 - 5:00 pm, but if the weather is nice and the fish are biting we can be talked into staying a little later. A fishing license is not required for these events.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!