Help me out with a shell

Started by sanjuanwormhatch, May 07, 2013, 04:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjuanwormhatch

I have never spent more than $40 on a rain jacket - or "shell" as the cool kids call them these days - but I think the time has come. Looking for something that is breathable but keeps the water out and durable.  The lighter the better.  This jacket will be used for running, fishing, hiking, etc...  Should get pretty heavy use.  I'm willing to sacrifice some on windproof.  Under $200 if possible.

Suggestions?

RiverbumCO

Outdoor Research.  All they make is rain gear im pretty sure.  Mine is the shit for warm weather, compresses down to a softball.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

sanjuanwormhatch

Thanks.  I saw this one recommended.

QuoteUnder Cover
The Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket ($150) is made with a Pertex Shield, which repels water but allows the garment to breathe. "I ran in light, steady rain, and in fairly hard rain; this jacket kept me dry throughout both," said one tester. The jacket is fully seam-taped with a tester-approved adjustable hood that stays in place and has a stiff bill to shield your face from raindrops. The hood, wrists, and waist all cinch in to keep water out, and the surprisingly thin jacket moves well with you as you run. outdoorresearch.com

OldDominionAngler

One vote for the Gooch.  It fits well, breathes well (for a shell), and is very lightweight.  I haven't had any issues with water getting in it.  I like it more than the Marmot I used to own.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-torrentshell-waterproof-rain-jacket?p=83801-0-331

Native Fisher

I have a Cabela's Gore-tex rain shell that stuffs down into its own inside pocket. Great for carrying in the fishing stuff too.  Keeps me dry, blocks the wind and it was reasonably priced at around $100. 

The Dude

I, too, am a huge fan of Outdoor Research products. I've never bought a product from them that I wasn't 110% satisfied with.
I also have an old Mountain Hardware conduit silk shell that I never give much respect to, yet it has never failed me and has withstood the test of time. Goretex products are always good for waterproofness, but even their light-weight materials seem to be a tad on the heavy side and don't breathe quite as well as other light weight, breatheable waterproof materials out there in the marketplace.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I suppose an oil finish cotton jacket is out of the question – great in cool/cold conditions, the only time when foul weather gear is really needed.  Getting wet this time of year ain't bad.  Plus the oil finish garment will eventually take on your smell – very personalized and no one else will want to use it.  And they are tougher than the synthetics – bust through brush and briars with ease.

Or you could get Snag to sell you one of those blue appalling frocks. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

RiverbumCO

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on May 07, 2013, 06:33:00 AM
Thanks.  I saw this one recommended.

QuoteUnder Cover
The Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket ($150) is made with a Pertex Shield, which repels water but allows the garment to breathe. "I ran in light, steady rain, and in fairly hard rain; this jacket kept me dry throughout both," said one tester. The jacket is fully seam-taped with a tester-approved adjustable hood that stays in place and has a stiff bill to shield your face from raindrops. The hood, wrists, and waist all cinch in to keep water out, and the surprisingly thin jacket moves well with you as you run. outdoorresearch.com

Thats the one i have, but 4 years old.  No leaks so far.

troutboy_II

Quote from: OldDominionAngler on May 07, 2013, 07:10:33 AM
One vote for the Gooch.  It fits well, breathes well (for a shell), and is very lightweight.  I haven't had any issues with water getting in it.  I like it more than the Marmot I used to own.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-torrentshell-waterproof-rain-jacket?p=83801-0-331

A second vote for Pataguci rain shell.  Not as big a fan of "Gooch" as I once was based on the crap we went through sending back Trout_girl's waders that kept leaking (I told her to get the Simms, but "noooo...."  Now Pataguci does not have womens specific waders and men's they sent back just didn't fit.  Had to raise hell for then to send a credit card for abou 1/2 what originally paid.  Got 3 years out of them, but still...  Now she has womens Simms and loves them.  Her idea of course!   b';

That being said, Pataguci shell is very light,has pit zips, etc. and wears like iron.  Look for it on sale.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

natureboy

Another vote for Patagonia, I have the torrentshell and really like it.  I've had mine long enough to wear out the waterproof, so I hit it with the Nikwax treatment and it's good to go. Keep an eye on their web specials, I wouldn't pay full price.

Also check Sierra Trading Post, they'll have a good selection of discounted rain shells.

rbphoto

I have two North Face - one is fairly lightweight, the other is the outer layer of the parka system I have used for about 5 years.

The heavier duty of the two has the inner layer delaminating - don't know what that does to the water repellancy, but it's kept me dry so far.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Michael Toris

Gooch makes a solid jacket. I bought the cheaper one (150 or so) and have yet to have it leak.

Many companies make solid Gore-Tex alternatives; however, to have Gore-Tex in a product, the product must meet Gore's standards. Thus, when you buy gore-tex, it should be bomb proof (but you have to pay for it)

Big J

Scored a NorthFace rain jacket that was $180 that was on sale memorial day weekend for $60.  Spring is the time to buy rain jackets.  They usually get marked down and go on clearance when all the winter stuff does.

sanjuanwormhatch

Still haven't got one.  At this point I might hold out for my bday in early july and let my mommy buy one for me.   /'/

RiverbumCO

Yea yea, old thread, but still relevant.

A few weeks ago I floated in the rain, and got drenched through my rain jacket.  Its about 6 years old was bought from a clearance rack for $90.  I email Outdoor Research and describe the jacket and my problem.  It takes a few days but I get an email from them with a link to the jacket they are gonna replace mine with.  Its $170 and they let me pick out size and color.  I still have to send them my old one, but all things considered this isnt a bad deal at all.  Jus typin.