News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Coming of age: Not a TR

Started by troutfanatic, February 15, 2015, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

Not a TR or a photobomb session, just a progress report.

She likes Florence + the Machine, we'll start with that.

Kid number one is approaching her 10th birthday next month. She had a fly rod in her hand at age 6. But fly fishing consisted of me throwing a cast, setting a hook and handing the rod off to her to bring in a trout. She started tying flies last year and began going to fly tying classes once a month. However, the requests to fish were becoming less frequent last year. I was beginning to think I was losing her. Much to my surprise, she asked if she could attend a clinic. I said you are not old enough yet, but that is not my rule. Anyways, when yesterday's clinic ended, the wife dropped her off and we worked on casting for about 1.5 hours. we had a dropper set up with a midge she invented under a small neversink caddis. I hooked a decent bow and handed the rod off to her. She said, "Dad, I want to do it all on my own." I helped her work through the mechanics of a good roll cast and she figured it out pretty quick. Around 5 pm a hatch of midges began (yes they happen, even in hatchery ponds). The kid saw a flurry of activity as a pod of trouts began feeding on emerging midges. I told her to cast right into the center. She executed a flawless roll cast right into the middle of the feeding trout and a fraction of a second later, a quick GULP was followed by a hook set and screams of joy. She brought in a respectable 12" rainbow.

She was ecstatic and I couldn't be happier. She has it figured out, she is casting better, setting hooks better and even if it was only a stocked trout in a hatchery pond training facility, she got her first trout on a dry fly. I think I have her for a little while longer. Her birthday list suddenly changed from a bunch of video game bullshit to a new rod of her own and some waders.

I got home and celebrated... small victories.

In the end, there is virtue in hatchery fishes; snobbery be damned.

Al

Way to go 'c; 'c; 'c; 

I was lucky to receive a couple reproductions of the "Page Midge" from a proud dad at the L&T event. Think I will give them a try.

benben reincarnated

flatlander

That's awesome...good on you. 

Looking forward to the day mine can row.

Aka

Quote from: troutfanatic on February 15, 2015, 11:20:33 AM

Her birthday list suddenly changed from a bunch of video game bullshit to a new rod of her own and some waders.

/'/ nice work.

Transylwader

Send the kid my way. At least she has a shot at being a sniper on the cricks. Nice Whorevis Helios 2 and Mirage reel. You used to ride my ass for fishing them spiffy rigs. Yes, you are coming of ages Brian. Well played on all three fronts dad!

5xTippett

ruttness

My boy turned 9 today. He makes me take him to the local stocker hole from time to time. Although his mind is on baseball currently

You get a good dad badge.

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on February 15, 2015, 19:03:30 PM
Oh and Al, I/she owes you a few more of those midges. I can't so swell to begin with let alone after I drink a six pack in an hour.

Kid says she got you covered.

Tell her I will swap her a few of my secret nymph. I'd mention it here but don't want the folks to blush because I know they never admit to using it. :P

Onslow

croaker

If that don't bring a grin to yer face.

'c;
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

outdoorguy3

Great stuff Brian!  Gotta love it!  Keep it up, you'll have a fishing partner for life!

Ralph ;D
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Onslow

Dee-Vo

That's badass dude. Hopefully I'll be taking my son along one day. Good shit.