Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day @ NCWRC Pechmann Ctr 8-11-10

Started by Al, August 12, 2010, 07:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Hot as heck today but that did not deter several volunteers from hosting approximately twenty of our nations heroes for a Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day at the the NCWRC Pechmann Fishing Education  Center. We've been doing this the 2nd Wednesday of each month for about 3 years. NCWRC provides the venue and volunteers provide the instruction and oversight.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Our expertise is fly fishing and our volunteers have a lot of experience in that sport to share. These 2nd Wednesday of the month events are a great way to learn the basics without a lot of expense. We also don't mind if folks just want to relax at one of the Center's well stocked ponds with a spin-cast rod. Relaxation and change of pace are what we are all about.

A regular participant at our monthly events has been a therapist from Womack Army Medical Center who brings some of her Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) patients. We have been told by medical personnel and the participants themselves that fly tying helps exercise brain / hand coordination.

We host primary sponsors, spouses of deployed soldiers and their immediate family members. Our outings make for some quality family time. 

Catching a nice catfish on a fly rod  temporally places all those worries about taking their meds on time or making the next appointment  on the back burner.

"I caught this one all by myself - thank you very much"

"Mr. Al, my mom said you used to be a guide. Can you help me catch a fish?" - " No problem!  Now let's talk about my fee"

Little brother also wants in on the action.

And so ends another great day showing our appreciation to our military and their families who place themselves in harms way so that we can enjoy the freedoms that make this country great.
Our next Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day will be September 8, 2010 from 1-5pm. (2nd Wednesday of each month)

kylemc

troutphisher

Looks like a good time for all AL. Its nice to see them smile..... 'c; 'c; 'c;
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.