News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River Virginia question

Started by flyinhigh, October 19, 2007, 07:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinhigh

I recently went to the Jackson River tailwater and found access to be extremely limited. Pretty good fishing, but not enough water available to keep it interesting.
I've been reading some good things about the Smith River and thought I'd give it a try. Before I travel over there I was wondering if anyone familiar with the Smith could offer some advice. Is the river easy to access or is it another situation where you need landowner permission.
I thank you for any information.

Al

Great thing about the Smith is that nearly 100% of the trout holding areas are accessable. Most of it is private property but the land owners are very tolerant of fishermen as long as they don't block gates or leave trash. Also don't open a gate and drive to river or when your'e walking don't cut directly across a lawn or crop field. 

phg

Al, whatcha doing on the computer?  You're supposed to be out fishing the Salmon River. ::)

Al knows the Smith a lot better than I do, but to embellish his comments a bit, the trout holding waters of the Smith run about 20 miles from Philpot lake to Martinsville, VA.   I would say that 90% of that is accessable, although a few places may require you to enter the river and walk upstream/downstream to get a specific location.  None of the river is "private water" but natural obstacles in the river bed, plus posted stream banks do create some minor limitations.

Also, most of the Smith requires you to have a trout stamp.  There are about 3miles of special regulations water immediately upstream from Bassett that can be fished with a general state license.  All the rest is stocked water, although there is a fair bit of natural reproduction throughout. 

One word  of caution, though.  The Smith is a tail water, and it cannot be waded during generation.  If you are in the creek and notice the water getting off color and rising, exit immediately!

Al

Quote from: phg on October 19, 2007, 11:43:01 AM
Al, whatcha doing on the computer?  You're supposed to be out fishing the Salmon River. ::)

Nope, I was up there last week. Trying to catch up. That bit on salmon trip was something hastily thrown together last evening - will try to put somemore out tonight.

I'm a bit behind because in addition to teaching this semester I got up early yesterday morning and added to my supply of deer hair.  ;D Been processing meat most of the day.

Good advice from Paul on Smith fellows. Don't forget that trout license if you fish stocked portions of  the river between 1 Oct and 15 June. Also don't forget to check the generation schedule. Call (276)629-2432 for recording.

Fire-Fly

flyinhigh, the smith is great, if you can hit the right fly  pattern you can catch 25+ fish in a day, but dont go in the dead of winter cause the trout are very difficult to catch, this time of year is good. When i get home i'll give you directions to the mirror factory, park there and walk the train track down about 2miles, the river in there is beautiful, and there are a lot of wild browns, but dont expect to catch big fish, 6-8 inches are the common, with 12-15 being large, but they are gorgeous fish with great colors.  Long leaders!!!!!!!

jscagline

....man, seeing these posts on the Smith, kinda makes me want to make the trip again!  It's been waaaaay too long.......
The truth hurts but not as much as a gas guzzling, eco wrecking SUV hitting you at 100 MPH!  Yeah baby, yeah!

Fire-Fly

Quote from: jscagline on October 19, 2007, 20:07:08 PM
....man, seeing these posts on the Smith, kinda makes me want to make the trip again!  It's been waaaaay too long.......
The Smith has plenty of cold clear water, the levels have looked normal all summer, i live abot 10 min from the smith, and where i go to church looks over the river, so i have kept a close eye on it.

Bloy

Quote from: jscagline on October 19, 2007, 20:07:08 PM
i live abot 10 min from the smith, and where i go to church looks over the river, so i have kept a close eye on it.
If I lived that close to fishable water, I'ld either be spending more time in church or more time on the water, either way I'ld be closer to GOD.  ;)
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

flyinhigh

Thank you for all the information and tips. I think I'll give it a try in the next couple of weeks.

Damselfly

Just a side note- try to avoid 220 south of Martinsville this weekend if you can- it's Race Weekend, which means the population of this little burg just went from 16,000 to 60,000+ :o It's crazy to see-

Bloy- you're absolutely right, I've never been closer to God than when knee deep in a rushing stream anywhere!