2020 Obligatory Calf Burner

Started by Big J, January 13, 2020, 09:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Doug and I have historically started out 2020 with fishing small streams that are new and have stupid elevation gains and losses.  And usually top access to the stream which means a fun hike out.  3 years ago we started out the year on a stream that had us taking 5 steps and then having to stop.  Half of that was the gradient and other half was the level of fitness we were not in.  This first stream I've had on my radar for a few years because Mudwall won't shut up about it.  So finally I decide to check it out with Mudwall and Doug deciding to join.  Then the infamous Mudwall crawfish call came just as expected.  I'm assuming he got to reexaming the topo lines on the hike in and decided to blame it on his wife's "honey do" list.  Blaming bailing on hanging pictures up is low Mudwall!!!!!  We decided to stop at his house at 8:30 to drop something off and the darn hermit was still asleep!  He even convinced his wife to back up the story of "hanging picture frames".  I really hope he went to church and repented.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

View from Descent spot.

Doug looking back with the look of disgust towards me for the hike in and out.

I'll post these hotspot pictures because nobody on here has fished or will fish or should want to fish this stream.

The stream had these weirs periodically with solar panels and an antenna to transmit stream water levels.  There was probably 5 of these weirs set up all over this stream and I really contribute this stream not being a better fishery to them because they inhibit trout movements.  They also tapped into and marked every spring on this stream.

We were really unsure if this stream had trout as Mudwall has never really fished it and the state doesn't have it marked as having trout.  Heck, half the maps do not have this stream listed on them!

But I caught a trout in the first pool I fished and was relieved we didn't make that hike for nothing.

And my next trout ended up being the biggest from this stream.  The snakiness of him had me concerned however. 

Also saw two of these dead caterpillars clinging on to this one tree.  odd

After a couple hours or seeing the populations on this stream were dismal and stunted, we decided to high tail it 1,200 feet back up and hit the road to another stream.  This stream ended up being a lot better producer numbers and health of fish wise.

And the rattlesnake orchids were thick on this stream.

Hardest part of this stream was just getting down to it.  Tried to get Doug to do a trick.

New boots did great.  Great trip to break them in too.  Think I need new waders next  :embarassed:

Dougfish

Calf burner, heart racer, lung burner.
I need to drop about 15 lbs. Convert some more fat to muscle, and work on my aerobic condition. But I survived the 5.5 mile down and back, 1200' loss and gain hike. Second stream just involved not falling down an embankment, Meh.
Echoing J on stream 1. Both branches disappointed. Humans fucked them up.  p;-
But the geology was not as good as it could be, either. Not enough limestone. A lot of shale. But in that shale? Fossils. Lots of them. Lots.
Really good wildflower hike. Will be banging in 2-3 months.

Yote?

Fished the old W&M Green Hornet I rebuilt last winter. Tobacco glass rules.

Back to the top.
That ridgeline with all those ripples/streams? We were fishing at the base. Fishing back towards us. We hopped in the trusty Forester and fished one of those west slopers, next.

Instantly better. Limestone, less erosion, lots of wood. And fish.

And a cool find. Leatherwood. Dirca palustris. I was geeking out.
Crappy pic, but it was the first time I'd found it on a trout stream. Anywhere.

You can tie the flexible twigs into knots.
And there more than a dozen plants.
Here are the flowers from my garden.

Wot! We'll be back.  :Dance

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

I'm jealous of the adventure. I've been to a bunch of those assbusters that don't produce much, but you never know until you go!

Those trips are always fun -- but that feeling when you finally get back to the vehicle is soooo nice!

Maybe this first of the year challenge will lend much good karma throughout the rest of the year!

Woolly Bugger

V:;  veddy nice ---  :banana026:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benben reincarnated

Woolly Bugger

i vote for bobcat scat...  <-;:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Looking good.

What the hell is limestone?  If the lack of limestone was a dealbreaker for me, I'd never fish! 

creekfreak

Was this the famous Mudwall's beloved Bath Co.? Very nice guys, Keep posting.
Guinness! Good God!

Big J

Quote from: creekfreak on January 13, 2020, 23:10:50 PMWas this the famous Mudwall's beloved Bath Co.? Very nice guys, Keep posting.

Nope, there are no fish in Bath County.  And if they were, you'd have to deal with crusty old hermits like Mudwall.  Not worth it. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: creekfreak on January 13, 2020, 23:10:50 PMWas this the famous Mudwall's beloved Bath Co.? Very nice guys, Keep posting.

I'll divulge the EXACT locations where these 2 meddlers, whom were completely out of their comfort zone, were fishing on Sunday, 12 Jan 2020.

In fact, I'll show you on a 1940's topo map, with 1920's data points, where they were trespassing.  Doug was generous and presented me with the nicely framed topo, that belonged to his grandad who used to hunt the area.  I enjoy paper maps and have never used or owned any GPS platform.  I was touched!!  BUT not so warmed that I will not disclose info on their latest Christian sabbath foray. 

They awakened me Sunday morn from a sultry dream of Katy Perry singing Roar to me, which I am sure was a pre-coitus serenade.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

The Dude

Wow, breaking in a new pair of wading boots out of the box on a trip like that is ballsy (or just plain stupid), but it says something about the boot that they gave you no problems.  Which boots are they?
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Big J

Quote from: The Dude on January 16, 2020, 07:04:26 AMWow, breaking in a new pair of wading boots out of the box on a trip like that is ballsy (or just plain stupid), but it says something about the boot that they gave you no problems.  Which boots are they?

Yes I stressed my stupidity to Doug while lacing up. They are Orvis Ultralights. They literally broke in 30 minutes into the hike though. Hope that isn't a bad sign on longevity but we will see. A few retying of the laces on the hike in as the boots stretched and any hotspots slowly went away. These boots (which I did put studs in) seem to be a lot more grippy then the Simms Freestones I had. Granted those boots were so worn out that I might of forgot how they were when they actually had a sole. New car syndrome.

Dougfish

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 15, 2020, 14:48:09 PMI'll divulge the EXACT locations where these 2 meddlers, whom were completely out of their comfort zone, were fishing on Sunday, 12 Jan 2020.

They awakened me Sunday morn from a sultry dream of Katy Perry singing Roar to me, which I am sure was a pre-coitus serenade.

My comfort zone is sultry.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

Quote from: Big J on January 13, 2020, 09:31:10 AMWe decided to stop at his house at 8:30 to drop something off and the darn hermit was still asleep! 

#retirementlife
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff