News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Brood X

Started by driver, July 15, 2021, 15:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This report will be short and sweet. There are a few stories to be told but I will post those when i get a chance.

The last week of June I went to my MIL's house in SE PA to find some of the pockets of scattered Brood X in the area. I did my research and had a list of places to check out. Long story short, I found bugs on the water in several places, but no fish keying on the. I managed to pick up a catfish and a tiny smallie.

After accepting defeat by 3pm I decided to head back to the local tailwater by my MIL's house to try a save the day. On the way there I decided to stop my this small but popular stocked stream that I had heard through the fly shop that had cicadas on it. As I pulled into the parking lot there was one guy rigging up and another coming out. I decided that this had been beat to death. But no the last I decided to walk up stream 50 yards and toss a dead cicada in. Imediatelty the cicada was swiped at. So i decided to go back to the car and in stead of switching rods, just grab my already rigged 8wt and catch this trout so I could say I caught a trout on a cicada.

2 hours later:

You could see the cicadas piled up in their stomachs

I wacked them, I have no idea how many I caught, but it was a feeding frenzy. I would watch 2 and 3 fish at a time go after my fly when it hit the water.

This 22 inch fish almost made go home because it was caught in the first 100yds and I knew I was going to be that for the day.

I told the fam that I would be home for dinner, so I wrapped up at about 5:30. Definitely the best 2 hours of trout fishing I have ever had.

Stone-Man

Damn sweet-   pretty big ole brown  !!

JT

Dougfish

Dang.
I'm glad somebody scored some cicada troops.
 :Dance
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

Brown trouts on cicadas—-ie what we hoped the Smith would do

itieuglyflies

Jason don't need no stinking Carp

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Way to be a pretentious cicada hatch fisherman. 

I'm just jealous