My best Brown to date on the Smith today!

Started by rjs123, November 24, 2009, 17:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

Well... I  was and still am pretty bummed that I couldnt go steelhead fishing this week. However, I kind of made up for it today on the Smith.

I fished a few places today for about 3 hours around Bassett.

I caught 2 and lost 3 today.  The first one of the day was my best fish to date on the Smith.  I was fishing my new 3 wt with 7x tippett when I hooked this fish.  Not having caught anything larger than about a 10 inch fish on the 3wt I really had no idea how big it was till it came to the surface.  After a couple of attempts to get it in the net I was finally able to do that. Of all days not to have my camera with me.  I did have the iphone though and used it to take the pics below. Caught it on a #20 midge dropped from a nymph.

I caught this fish in Bassett, not in the lower river around Koehler where I would expect to catch bigger fish.

I put a small nick on the rod so I could measure it later.  He was 18 and 1/4 measured.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Get Bent

Don't be to bummed about steelhead fishing. Unless conditions are right, most of the tribs would have been low, crowded, and the fish would have been getting pestered to death. Look at this way, you now have time to acquire a rod! Now you will be pumped the next time you get to go!

Nice brown...gotta love fishing for fall browns ;D
Konichiwa Bitches!

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

22midge

Nice fish Robert...guess a few are holding on. ;D ;D If you dont mind can I sneak a gill cover pic of you fish.Then I can add it to the catalog of the "Brownies of the Smith"
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

rjs123

Quote from: 22midge on November 24, 2009, 18:46:18 PM
Nice fish Robert...guess a few are holding on. ;D ;D If you dont mind can I sneak a gill cover pic of you fish.Then I can add it to the catalog of the "Brownies of the Smith"

Sure Peewee.  Wish I would have had my camera with me but how about this one:

[attach=1]

22midge

never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

fly4u

Great fish Bob, You put in the time..........today was pay day.
" Thank You For Your Support "

rjs123

Quote from: fly4u on November 24, 2009, 20:46:48 PM
Great fish Bob, You put in the time..........today was pay day.

Its funny you should say that.  I stopped at the Mossy Creek Fly Shop on my way home from Gettysburg yesterday.  I talked to the guys there about the Smith and told them Ive caught a few fish on the river but the biggest so far has only been about 13 inches.  One of the guys there told me if you put in the time you'll get some bigger ones.

Trout Maharishi

"Tell me where all the big fish hang out or I'll choke you to death" ;)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

rjs123

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on November 24, 2009, 21:05:48 PM
"Tell me where all the big fish hang out or I'll choke you to death" ;)

Believe me, he wasnt talking.

Z-Man

Nice fish, Robert - congrats.  You have come a long way, Pilgrim!
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

trouthead

Nice trout. You did well to land him on that light tackle. I've practically quit using my 3 wt. on tailwaters due to break offs with quality fish.  0--0

outdoorguy3

Quote from: trouthead on November 25, 2009, 10:00:53 AM
Nice trout. You did well to land him on that light tackle. I've practically quit using my 3 wt. on tailwaters due to break offs with quality fish.  0--0

Would someone smarter than me (shouldn't be hard to find someone) please explain how the weight of the rod has anything to do with fish breaking off?

My simple mind just can't understand this.

Thank you in advance for your educational reply.

Ralph   0--0 
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: outdoorguy3 on November 25, 2009, 17:46:57 PM
Quote from: trouthead on November 25, 2009, 10:00:53 AM

Would someone smarter than me (shouldn't be hard to find someone) please explain how the weight of the rod has anything to do with fish breaking off?

My simple mind just can't understand this.

Thank you in advance for your educational reply.

Ralph   0--0 

Thanks for asking that question Ralph... I've landed a 22" pig on an Orvis one ounce... that's a 6' 2wt rod....

I can understand bustin a rod better than breakin off fish...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!