News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

watauga dh in foscoe

Started by walt, October 10, 2005, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt

i was visiting the shack in foscoe this weekend, cleaning up leaves, fixin' the heater, ya know.... the joys of home ownership stuff.

on saturday, i moseyed on down to the upper dh section by the red brick church for some late afternoon woolly bugger dunkin'. when i arrived, a large crew of anglers were leaving..... guided folks from the foscoe orvis shop.

the waters were still high from all the rains but they were ok colorwise.

i tied on a sz 10 olive wb and swung it across the current for about an hour..... results were good, 6 or so fish, one really nice looking brownie.

i returned early sunday mornin' (slightly fogged from a few tire biter ales sat eve .... maybe 6, but who's countin'   ;) ), to find the whole stretch deserted..... void of any anglers.

i fished for an hour or so and caught a bunch.... including one hoss brookie of about 16 inches.

anyways, the watauga dh waters are running good and clear and there are plenty of stocked fish to shake hands with.....  :)

--walt

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

thelow

walt
good to hear you did well and the W is doing better.  I stopped in at the new Foscoe Fishing company a couple weeks ago and they new owner seemed really nice.  have you been in there?  I was up in that area there last weekend too I fish the C&R section of the Elk and it was really good to so I hope we can get some showers here and there to maintain this good level now.  Hey by the way Tire Biter is good stuff I like the doggie style and in heat wheat too.  Did you knwo the guy who did the labels for them worked with Hunter Thompson?

Rob
What's Rob doing today? https://www.instagram.com/rjeeves716/

walt

Quote from: thelow on October 13, 2005, 00:28:32 AM
walt
good to hear you did well and the W is doing better.  I stopped in at the new Foscoe Fishing company a couple weeks ago and they new owner seemed really nice.  have you been in there?  I was up in that area there last weekend too I fish the C&R section of the Elk and it was really good to so I hope we can get some showers here and there to maintain this good level now.  Hey by the way Tire Biter is good stuff I like the doggie style and in heat wheat too.  Did you knwo the guy who did the labels for them worked with Hunter Thompson?

Rob

rob, i've stopped in at the new ffc location a few times to meet the new owner and wish him well, but i keep missing the hook-up. dats ok, i like bs'n with tenent.

flying dog brews *are* good. i like the road dog scottish porter..... "good beer, no shit"  ;D

here's a link to their website:

http://www.flyingdogales.com/default.asp

here's a link to the story... h. thompson connection, pretty cool:

http://www.flyingdogales.com/cut-fd-story.asp

see ya on the river,

walt

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

cmiller51h

Fished the DH of the Watuga today. Caught about 10. ! hog of a bow. It went about 21 inches. Fished better today that last week. Water seemed to be up. Can't say that for the Helton. We tried that this morning and it was terrible. Water was way low! Bewteen 2 of us we caught 3 up until 12:00. Then we hightailed it to Boone.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

thelow

walt great links thanks

C man that stinks that the h is still low I thought that everything would be at least back to normal levels
What's Rob doing today? https://www.instagram.com/rjeeves716/

cmiller51h

We thought so too. The Helton is a pretty good place to fish just because it's so big and you can usaually find a spot away from the crowds. It's still dry as a bone. I saw islands that I've never saw there before. We talked to the game warden and he said that they put fish in but just not what they used to. I also noticed a couple of great spots are now posted. Right by the low water bridge was a pretty good one. I don't think that they stock it there anymore either.

The Watauga is looking much better. I think I'm going to give up on this DH fishing and go back to tailwater floating.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander