DH Day- Warning- Contains Stockers

Started by Beetle, February 29, 2008, 21:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle

After taking care of a few business matters, I picked ole Kent up and we headed NW towards the Blue Ridge foothills.  For some stupid reason, I refused to believe that the stockers weren't already there (despite the March 1 commencement of stocking :P).  So we pull into Stone Mtn State Park (through the back entrance so we can look at every pool) and start our recon.  I quickly ran across a guy from Charlotte who informed me he hadn't seen a fish....period.  I didn't doubt him and went on about my business.  I then decided that the lack of stocking gave cause to fish BULLHEAD!!!!  Brilliant!!!!!!!!!! ;D

I took section 6 and Kent took section 7.  No one had fished it since February 23rd and their time on the stream was very short. ???  Of course, I totally ignored every sign that things were not so good and moved up the trail.  Eyeing a few pools along the way, I did not see much action at all- fish or bugs.  It was cold.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I fished my beat very hard and threw the book at them.  I just didn't know where "them" were.

Needless to say- I had a GREAT TIME practicing my roll casts and tying on every nymph in my vest.  Folks- there wasn't a fish to be seen at Stone Mountain.  No fish.  NADA.  I have fished there since I was a little boy and I just can't believe it.  Maybe the drought wreaked havoc- I don't know.  Never saw a trace of anything- no wild fish and certainly no holdovers.  The picture of this deer says it all (note the tongue  :P :P)

So we decided to move on but not before taking some more pics

We moved down the mountain to the Ditch and set up shop on the bend pool on Grover Cockerham.

I immediately noticed a ton of midges in the air and when I got closer to the water...VOILA....a big hatch of BWO's was coming off.  They were a sight to see!  Sailboats everywhere!!  And big ones too!!  Size 18...maybe a few 16's too!

We found a few fish rising and clobbering the BWO's.  I caught a brown and several rainbows- all holdovers.

The poor little brown had a worm-chucker hook in its throat but seemed to be doing ok.  I couldn't do anything- it was lodged in there pretty good.

So we fished all afternoon through a nice hatch and had fun.  We definitely made up for lost time at Stone Mtn.
I also picked up trash for a while and filled up a bag in no time.  It is amazing how much Mt Dew people drink around there >:( :(

It was getting late so we decided to roll on out....but not before seeing a fantastic site- approximately 50 turkeys scratchin and struttin around a big corn field.  It was impressive to say the least.

The fishing was ok, the wildlife was AWESOME and the fresh air did much to energize me for the weekend.  Even better- we never saw another person fishing all day.  :o :o

The game warden did stop us on the Ditch.  I was thrilled to see him out there.

Woolly Bugger

Well you had a much better day than I did!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

The wild turkey has to be one of the great comeback stories of a restoration program of all time. BTW- next time just photograph the fish and wildlife please. ;)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Beetle

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on February 29, 2008, 21:33:34 PM
The wild turkey has to be one of the great comeback stories of a restoration program of all time. BTW- next time just photograph the fish and wildlife please. ;)

Yes- the turkey, Canada Goose and striped bass are all amazing restorations in their own right.

I hear ya TM and have "modulated" my post  :laugh:

troutphisher

Nice report bug !

I know what you mean about the brown, I hate to see that too.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

flatlander

phg

At least the worm dunker cut it off instead of ripping it out. 

I hate to hear that about Stone Mt, though.  I've always been able to catch a few wild fish mixed in with the stockers. 

I know what you mean about the wildlife, though.  It has taken a lot of effort, and some sacrifice, but almost all wildlife is more abundant now than it was 50 years ago.  I'll never forget, back in the '90's, when my mother, then in her 70's, saw her first ever wild turkey.  She was like a kid just discovering the wonders of nature,  She giggled with joy like a schoolgirl!  ;D

Now if we can just learn to take care of the water the way we've started taking care of the land....

troutrus

Beetle, thanks for the report and pics.

Al

Yep, I liked that report. Great photos to help make your point. Just getting close to nature is what makes a good day.

teachrtec

Brad  8)