News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited bear news

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 09, 2015, 15:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

'My first encounter with morons!' | Smokies visitor captures video of bear encounter
Great Smoky Mountains National Park-goers have recently captured pictures and videos of humans getting too comfortable with bears while visiting the park.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.wvlt.tv/2022/06/10/my-first-encounter-with-morons-smokies-visitor-captures-video-bear-encounter/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

>>>A bear hungry for food tore open a tent over the weekend at a popular campground in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, causing superficial wounds to a woman and a 3-year-old child.

The June 12 incident has led authorities to caution visitors against camping in tents and other soft-sided shelters at the Elkmont Campground for the time being

https://myfox8.com/news/bear-injures-mom-3-year-old-girl-at-great-smoky-mountains-campground?utm_source=wghp_app&utm_medium=social&utm_content=share-link
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

Lots of  bear in the park now days. I'm surprised there aren't more of these type of encounters.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

TylerDurden

I've never carried bear spray with me before. Gonna order a can of it to keep on my hip just in case. Was wondering, should one do a test shoot with their bear spray or is it pretty easy to use first try if you ever need to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Onslow

Quote from: TylerDurden on June 14, 2022, 09:49:27 AMI've never carried bear spray with me before. Gonna order a can of it to keep on my hip just in case. Was wondering, should one do a test shoot with their bear spray or is it pretty easy to use first try if you ever need to?

The most frustrating aspect of carrying repellent is where to pack it.  Good repellent cylinders are expensive, and I would advise never to place them in daypack or backpack side pockets.  The dispensers are slick cylinders, and are prone to disappear when thrashing about in the bush when you wish you had one. 

Oddly enough, I've been approached by a large coyote, various packs of dogs, and have been grazed by falling trees three times, one of which could have been lethal,  had a near miss involving a falling tree while driving. I've only encountered two bears in the bush, and both just wanted to get away from me.

I firmly believe animals and insects can smell fear on a human.  Don't get rattled.

TylerDurden

Quote from: Onslow on June 14, 2022, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: TylerDurden on June 14, 2022, 09:49:27 AMI've never carried bear spray with me before. Gonna order a can of it to keep on my hip just in case. Was wondering, should one do a test shoot with their bear spray or is it pretty easy to use first try if you ever need to?

The most frustrating aspect of carrying repellent is where to pack it.  Good repellent cylinders are expensive, and I would advise never to place them in daypack or backpack side pockets.  The dispensers are slick cylinders, and are prone to disappear when thrashing about in the bush when you wish you had one. 

Oddly enough, I've been approached by a large coyote, various packs of dogs, and have been grazed by falling trees three times, one of which could have been lethal,  had a near miss involving a falling tree while driving. I've only encountered two bears in the bush, and both just wanted to get away from me.

I firmly believe animals and insects can smell fear on a human.  Don't get rattled.
I've (knock on wood) never had a close encounter with any animal besides snakes but I feel like I'm due one at this point and I don't wanna be stuck with no way to defend myself. Looks like the repellant I'm looking at comes with a sheath you can hook on your belt.

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Dee-Vo

I had some bear spray some time ago. It came in a flexible sleeve. Never used it. Those things have expiration dates. Mine has expired. Don't think I'll buy more.

Only one black bear encounter while fishing so far. No harm done.

TylerDurden

Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 14, 2022, 10:50:51 AMI had some bear spray some time ago. It came in a flexible sleeve. Never used it. Those things have expiration dates. Mine has expired. Don't think I'll buy more.

Only one black bear encounter while fishing so far. No harm done.
I hear you, I guess I'm just looking for something to have just in case I come up on one who isn't being nice that day. When I was younger the thought of being attacked by a bear would've never crossed my mind but nowadays I'd like to play it safe than sorry.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

EETEETSE, Wyo. (AP) — A hiker has been hospitalized after being mauled by a bear, believed to have been a grizzly, in the mountains of northwestern Wyoming, the state's Game and Fish agency said Tuesday.

The man was hiking Monday at high elevation on Francs Peak, a 13,000-foot (4,000-meter) summit southeast of Yellowstone National Park, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department said Tuesday.

The surprise attack happened too quickly for the man to use the bear spray he was carrying, officials said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hiker-hospitalized-after-grizzly-bear-mauling-in-wyoming/ar-AAYYuIK
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Recently we had a bear incident here in The Grove, up Back Creek approximately half mile.

First, the bear broke a screen window and retrieved a jar of peanut butter from the table.  Window fixed and next, the bear crawled through the window and found the trash can.  Windows boarded and then, bear ripped some of the dwelling's siding.  I heard the next step was an electric fence. 

Tenacious critter that needs an attitude adjustment, I say.   It is unlikely that I would ever kill such an animal, but it would be a hoot to employ paint balls or bear spray or ????.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

I've quit carrying food/snacks of any kind when I fish in bear country. It is just unnecessary weight to carry anyway.

The loss of some gut lard is an added benefit which my knees and hip joints will thank me for later.

greg

The problem bears around the smokies seem to be the ones hanging around homes and parking lots that are crowded. I have hiked more in the las three months than usual. Getting ready for a trip to mount baker. I have been up Baxter creek trail to mount sterling 2 times. done a loop in cataloocjie. Went from clingmans dome out to welch ridge down to headwaters of hazel creek and back. Did an off trail hike starting at cabin flats backcountry site going up Bradley to frowning rock prong up to the AT. All of these hikes have been in fairly remote sections of park with the exception of starting at clingmas dome. Have not seen a single bear. Last week my son and I went up rainbow falls to leconte. Parking last was packing. Had to park down the road awash. Saw a sow with three cubs in second parking lot and another medium to large bear on the road on the way out. These bears were within 1-2 miles from downtown gatlinburg and rainbow falls was the most crowded trail I've been on up to the falls. As a side note the reason for the very long trip out the AT to hazel creek was to get a quart of water. My grandson was baptized in May and he was baptized  with hazel creek water😀😀

greg

I have also done either 2 or three day hikes in shinging rock. They now require bear canister for overnight camping. I have yet to see a bear there either.

Trout Maharishi

That was a heck of a hike down to Hazel Ck. I think that's cool that you did that for your grandson's baptism. I may get some from a special stream in my past for the one that I've got coming in Oct. The Mt Baker should be a nice trip. Any idea on the snow conditions this year? I've climbed Hood, Shasta, Lassen, and Rainer. The Hood route may have been the most difficult. It was early spring and a storm stopped us in our tracks for 2 days.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski