News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Native Tree/Plant Plight

Started by Onslow, February 23, 2019, 14:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

>>>BUNCOMBE COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — Katie McKeever is used to fighting big odds. The plant pathologist is busy leading a group of 15 volunteers in planting 6,000 American chestnut tree seedlings at the U.S. Forest Service's Bent Creek Experimental Station. Only 600, or 10 percent, of the trees are expected to survive.

https://wlos.com/news/local/local-scientists-volunteers-work-to-restore-the-american-chestnut

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Cherokee enter partnership to save the chestnut tree

>>>In a mountaintop signing ceremony on Wednesday, April 21, The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and The American Chestnut Foundation entered into a partnership to establish a demonstration orchard for restoration of the American chestnut tree.

The effort will use local genetics and collaboration on management requirements for sustaining repopulation of the American chestnut. The partnership began through a friendship between EBCI elder Jimbo Sneed and the late father of TACF's director emeritus Rex Mann, who grew up in the mountains of Western North Carolina.

https://smokymountainnews.com/outdoors/item/31352-cherokee-enter-partnership-to-save-the-chestnut-tree

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

>>>PRESQUE ISLE, Maine (WAGM) - American Chestnut trees once flourished in the Northeast but has now nearly vanished, but one grower is working to bring them back.

There aren't chestnuts roasting on an open fire, rather growing in a local greenhouse. Randy Martin, Director of the Central Aroostook Soil and Water Conservation District, says there was once an abundance of chestnut trees, but not anymore.

"Back in the 1900′s there were 4 billion chestnut trees up and down the eastern seaboard down as far as Alabama. Some gentleman brought some seedlings from China of chestnut. They were carrying blight, and in just a few years it wiped out 4 billion chestnut trees."

Through a partnership with the Maine Chapter of The American Chestnut Foundation, Martin and a local forester are working to restore native American Chestnut trees to the State's Forest ecosystem.

https://www.wagmtv.com/2021/06/25/project-revive-american-chestnut-trees-aroostook-county/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Why islanders are seeking a mate for the lonely Davies Orchard Chestnut tree

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>The Homesteaders Act of 1872 offered a sweet deal for British citizens: if you promised to build a permanent structure and get food to market within three years, you could claim up to 160 acres as your own for a mere $10. This was what brought William Davies, his wife Florence and their thirteen children to Snug cove in 1887. The land was already cleared and only a few trees were left standing: a Douglas Fir, a Cherry Tree, and a Chestnut.

The Chestnut, who we know to be at least 149 years old stands today at a height of 21 metres. Her trunk is wide enough to require the arms of three (or more) adults in order to receive a proper hug, and is covered in large, curvaceous knobs.

https://www.bowenislandundercurrent.com/in-the-community/why-some-islanders-are-seeking-a-mate-for-the-lonely-davies-orchard-chestnut-tree-3950070
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Staying alive: MountainTrue protects A.T. ash trees as research progresses against invasive threat

For millions of years, ash trees have grown tall and strong across the landscape today known as the United States — but for now, keeping them alive requires regular treatment with expensive chemicals and $2,000 worth of specialized equipment.

"We've been using a stem injection technique that requires you to actually drill holes into the stem of the tree," said Josh Kelly, public lands biologist for MountainTrue.

Just last week, MountainTrue's crew was treating trees along the Appalachian Trail near Max Patch, inserting small plastic plugs into the tree trunks. They then filled the plugs — which contain a gasket to keep liquid inside — with $500-per-liter insecticide using a $2,000 injector equipped with an air hose and pressurized air tank.

MountainTrue first treated ash trees in 2017 using an insecticide guaranteed to protect the trees for one year, but in 2018 switched to a more expensive chemical that offers three years of protection. Now they're revisiting all the trees they treated in 2018.

https://smokymountainnews.com/outdoors/item/31822-staying-alive-mountaintrue-protects-a-t-ash-trees-as-research-progresses-against-invasive-threat
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Revisiting a very beautiful, 114-foot-tall American chestnut tree that grows in Hebron
It's considered the biggest in Maine and one of the biggest in the country.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>Located on Ann Siekman and Roger Crockett's property on Back Street, the tree, which has been in full glorious bloom, has often turned heads not only because it is "very beautiful," Siekman said, but because of its size. It's considered to be the biggest in Maine and one of the biggest in the country.

"The Hebron American chestnut was originally measured in 2012 and found to be the tallest in Maine at 95 feet tall," Michele Windsor, the district and project manager at the Oxford County Soil & Water Conservation District, said. "It was most recently remeasured in 2020 and was found to have grown to 114 feet tall."

As of 2020, the tree has grown 19 feet taller, 6 inches fatter, and an additional 3.5 inches in crown spread since its last measurement. Its circumference was 84 inches (with a diameter of 2.2 feet) and its crown spread is 60 feet.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2021/07/24/revisiting-a-very-beautiful-114-foot-tall-american-chestnut-tree-that-grows-in-hebron/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Is your trout fishing in trouble? Saving the state tree may be the answer

>>>There is a direct correlation between hemlock and native trout, a species highly sensitive to water pollutants, stream erosion and warming temperatures.

The situation is particularly crucial in Pennsylvania, which has more miles of stream than any state in the lower 48. It also has at least 15,000 miles of wild trout streams and nearly 5,000 miles of stocked trout streams.

https://www.ydr.com/story/sports/outdoors/2021/08/17/pennsylvanias-troubled-hemlock-trees-key-saving-native-trout/5380022001/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

WNY Land Conservancy sets virtual event to 'Save Allegany Wildlands'

>>>Six critically endangered American chestnut trees more than 40 feet tall still survive at the Allegany Wildlands, some of which are producing seeds, Semmel said. Large oaks, a threatened lily called a white clintonia, and rare orchids also grow there. Underneath the forest canopy, black bears and bobcats roam the ridges and ravines.

https://www.oleantimesherald.com/news/wny-land-conservancy-sets-virtual-event-to-save-allegany-wildlands/article_221d711a-2367-59df-accd-2dbfe92503b8.html

Conservancy tries to save Allegheny wilderness 
FUNDRAISING: Online event coming up on Oct. 27.

The Western New York Land Conservancy and the Friends of the Allegany Wildlands are working to save the Allegany Wildlands in 2021. The 200-acre forest, located only a few hundred feet from the Allegheny Reservoir near Allegany State Park, is home to a great diversity of plants and animals.

The group has until the end of this year to reach its fundraising goal of $879,000 and is more than halfway there with $330,000 needed. Thanks to three generous challenge gifts, the next $120,000 in donations will be matched 1:1. Once the goal is met, the Land Conservancy will purchase the land and keep it open as a publicly accessible nature preserve forever.

To kick off the final fundraising push of the campaign, the Land Conservancy will host a free virtual event on Wednesday, Oct. 27 featuring Ed Marx of the Wildlands Network. Attendees will also hear from Jajean Rose-Burney, deputy executive director of the Land Conservancy, about how they can save the Allegany Wildlands.

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/conservancy-tries-to-save-allegheny-wilderness/article_1b80316e-0e05-5958-928b-2d2b9b8c468c.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Grown Here at Home: Virginia Department of Forestry selling trees

CRIMORA, Va. (WDBJ) - At the Augusta Forestry Center, they're putting walnuts in the walnut hauler to take the husk off.

"The outer husk on the walnut will actually grow maggots and that's what attracts birds to the field. When birds come to the field they'll dig up all the walnuts. If I can get rid of the birds coming into the fields, maybe this nursery can end up growing more walnuts," explained Joshua McLaughlin, Assistant Forestry Manager for the Virginia Department of Forestry Augusta Nursery Center.

The nursery takes acorns you donate, along with ones they buy to grow trees that will be planted all over our region to protect and develop the various tree populations found in the Commonwealth.

"We actually grow a bunch of different pines. White pine is a good one because White Pine is one of the number one Christmas trees in the area. A lot of the efforts of DOF goes in conjunction with the American Chestnut Foundation. We help with American Chestnut research and the restoration in that," McLaughlin said.

https://www.wdbj7.com/2021/11/01/grown-here-home-virginia-department-forestry-selling-trees/

direct link to purchase...

https://www.buyvatrees.com/shop/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Rooted in conservation
Boy Scout, volunteers to plant 300 trees in Morganton

>>>WEDDINGTON – A Boy Scout in Union County will travel to Morganton Saturday to leave a lasting legacy.

Aaron Grossman, an 11th-grade student at Metrolina Christian Academy in Indian Trail and member of Boy Scout Troop No. 46 in Matthews, plans to achieve his Eagle Scout rank by planting trees on a property off River Road in Morganton.

The tree planting event Saturday is a result of a partnership with Foothills Conservancy of North Carolina. Grossman has worked for months to bring the project to fruition.

"My Eagle Scout project is to restore a parcel of land," Grossman said. "I chose the property by speaking with the conservancy on my ideas of reforestation. They pointed me to an opportunity at the River Road property. After being owned by a farmer, the conservancy now owns the land and has called it the Possum Rock Property. For the past 15-plus years, it has been used as an agricultural field. However, with the help of the Foothills Conservancy, I have cleared the field and will plant 300 trees to restore the local forest on the property."

https://morganton.com/news/local/boy-scout-volunteers-to-plant-300-trees-in-morganton/article_3d614632-52d5-11ec-8c8e-afa82ef23de7.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A 250-year-old walnut tree was chopped down in Ohio. A brother and sister were hit with felony charges.

>>>For over 250 years, a black walnut tree lived in what is now a nature preserve in northeast Ohio, growing alongside wildflowers and ferns and the snaking east branch of the Rocky River. Its trunk grew unusually wide — 5½ feet — making it a rare specimen in the Cleveland suburbs.

Yet in just two days in September, that tree was cut down with chain saws, turned into logs and hauled away, according to witnesses interviewed by police. The lumber ultimately sold for just over $10,000.

Now, two suspects — a brother and sister, Todd Jones, 56, and Laurel Hoffman, 54 — have been indicted in the felling of the tree that prosecutors say sat on Cleveland Metroparks property, just feet away from Jones's land in Strongsville, about 20 miles south of Cleveland. The siblings face charges of grand theft and falsification — both felonies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-250-year-old-walnut-tree-was-chopped-down-in-ohio-a-brother-and-sister-were-hit-with-felony-charges/ar-AASMjad?ocid=msedgntp
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://wr.al/1Mfn4

RALEIGH, N.C. — A blooming Bradford pear tree is generally a sign that spring is on the way. In fact, you can usually smell the trees blooming through their signature unpleasant odor.

An North Carolina State University forestry expert is placing a "bounty" on the tree, largely thought of as a nuisance by homeowners, landscapers and those who work in agriculture. Seen lining yards along numerous neighborhoods and downtown sidewalks throughout the south, the trees can thrive in a number of environments and have an alluring look. But ecologically, they're another story.
me -There's a season?