News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Not a TR TR

Started by Big J, March 05, 2018, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Wild! Looks fishy to me! <-;:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

How was the stream bed?  Does it have a sediment issue?

driver

I've never done any good on that stream either. Not worth the bush wacking and cliff scaling. It's pretty though. I bet its been close to 10 years since I've been in there.

Dougfish

Pretty, but doesn't put out. Bummer.
Go back to your ugly streams.  :laugh:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Big J on January 29, 2020, 09:12:00 AMHow was the stream bed?  Does it have a sediment issue?

Oddly enough I checked this out and came to a personal, non-scientific conclusion. To me, this area has too much water velocity due to so many falls in short order. To me, the creek bottom in a sense gets scoured away to an almost solid bedrock type base; especially during large rainfall events, I can only imagine what it's like in there during such. Largely, the bottom is similar to concrete, only wavier. A few spots were cobbled up beautifully, like a cobblestone drive. Round, slick, smooth rocks, very attractive....So, to address your inquiry, I observed just the opposite of your sediment position -- there isn't any for the most part, it's gone, as is the other substrate needed for successful fish life to continue normally. Further downstream/upstream may be a little different due to a much more gentle makeup/declination in gradient, but here, nope.

Quote from: driver on January 29, 2020, 10:19:22 AMI've never done any good on that stream either. Not worth the bush wacking and cliff scaling. It's pretty though. I bet its been close to 10 years since I've been in there.

I planned on doing much more exploring up and downstream...bushwhacking, yes. But, the damned trails are not really there. Not even a solid deer trail to go by, really. The larger creek this runs into is almost the same way in terms of paralleling trails....I experienced this when I was there last.

Quote from: Dougfish on January 29, 2020, 10:58:35 AMPretty, but doesn't put out. Bummer.
Go back to your ugly streams.  :laugh:

Tell me about it. I've said it a million times, and so has @Onslow -- home waters seem to be as good as most that we can travel long distances for. But, the pull is real. I have to go, and keep my mind fresh. Not stale. Staleness puts me in a bad mental state, big time. So --- yes, burn the damned gas, and burn the tires up, see what you need to see to stay in the happy zone.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Big J on January 29, 2020, 09:12:00 AMHow was the stream bed?  Does it have a sediment issue?

Another note -- See all that flat, wavy rock that isn't in the water? That's what the majority of the streambed consists of, in a nutshell.

Onslow

Big hikey trips in the Winter are risky.  I have found that browns in the New watershed tend to bite between 3:45-4:30 in January.  This is when the water temp peaks out.  Most sane folk will be hiking out of any gorge by three, and miss the bite. Sunday afternoon quick hits work well now.

The flat wavy rock bottom is what I saw at upper Wilson above Little Wilson.  The lack of cover really bothered me. 

Hate you didn't catch anything.

Sedition and Pockets

Big hikes rarely produce big browns, in my experience.  Backyard fishing is the way to find tanks on the 'lines.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Onslow on January 29, 2020, 17:22:50 PMBig hikey trips in the Winter are risky.  I have found that browns in the New watershed tend to bite between 3:45-4:30 in January.  This is when the water temp peaks out.  Most sane folk will be hiking out of any gorge by three, and miss the bite. Sunday afternoon quick hits work well now.

The flat wavy rock bottom is what I saw at upper Wilson above Little Wilson.  The lack of cover really bothered me. 

How was Little Wilson in terms of fish? Did you fish it?

Phil

Quote from: Dee-Vo on January 30, 2020, 08:58:31 AM
Quote from: Onslow on January 29, 2020, 17:22:50 PMBig hikey trips in the Winter are risky.  I have found that browns in the New watershed tend to bite between 3:45-4:30 in January.  This is when the water temp peaks out.  Most sane folk will be hiking out of any gorge by three, and miss the bite. Sunday afternoon quick hits work well now.

I wanna know as well. Haven't fished it in years.

driver

I haven't fish Wilson in years. But I fished a lot of it and almost all of it sucked. One fish here of there. All small. It picks up a little there higher you go. But nothing to right home about. Needless to say why I haven't been back. Hours amd hours wasted climbing walls and bush wacking through some of the thickest rhodo I've ever seen.

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on January 30, 2020, 13:07:36 PM

5-6 inch brook trout and much debris.  Maybe worth a 30 minute drive if that.

Phil

Quote from: Onslow on February 01, 2020, 10:57:55 AM
Quote from: Phil on January 30, 2020, 13:07:36 PM

5-6 inch brook trout and much debris.  Maybe worth a 30 minute drive if that.

Meh. I can get that or better 6 miles from my house with no hike. Thanks for sparing me the leg cramps.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: driver on January 31, 2020, 19:17:56 PMI haven't fish Wilson in years. But I fished a lot of it and almost all of it sucked. One fish here of there. All small. It picks up a little there higher you go. But nothing to right home about. Needless to say why I haven't been back. Hours amd hours wasted climbing walls and bush wacking through some of the thickest rhodo I've ever seen.

Wilson in the more upper reaches is pretty good. Not many people get down there to it, I don't think. Long hikes keep the people out, not to mention the bears and snakes. The last time I was in there I caught many wild browns, nothing over 12", and no rainbows. I'd like to slide back in there and fish a different stretch at some point.

Dee-Vo

More hiking and fishing in the rain today.

Another creek off the to-do list. Very leggy up top, and very shitty toward the bottom. Water color here is odd, reminds of one other creek I've hit a few times. It's like a solid rock cascade for several hundred yards in one stretch, exactly like a long set of stairs, as you can see in a photo. Down low this creek has a "road" paralleling it for a good ways. This road is one of the roughest I've been on. Creek crossings, huge and sharp rocks everywhere....and nowhere to pull off to park. More of an ATV trail, really. @Onslow had said it'd be small up there and it was. Took some navigating around to find my bearings initially. The fella who had told me where to go up top was super vague. Stumbled across many houses and maybe even Walden Pond. Lots of bird life flittering about the dense clumps of rhodo. I had to take it very slowly due to the knee still hurting like hell. Two full weeks in and it's still giving me trouble. Some healing, but nowhere near normal.

Also -- after getting in my truck to try and find a way in at the bottom of this mountain, I feel something and find a tick crawling across the top of my hand. In February? Is this going to be a terrible year for these bastards due to no real cold/icy/snowy weather?

Anyway, another Not a tR in the books. Still, MUCH better than work.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Everywhere I go, more deer stands.

Purple paint and posted signs all over the mountain.

Just driving through creeks.