News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Not a TR TR

Started by Big J, March 05, 2018, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Not a tR.

Early Tuesday morning found me with time to explore more of a gorge. A gorge that is no stranger. New backpack strapped on and equipped with the days required equipment. This pack is light and nice. A built in metal frame is great for hiking mileage. A few rainbows were caught. A lot of assbusting was accomplished. Crawling up and down the ridges promised a good nights sleep.

I lost a net that I had only had a few months — and only two days after breaking a rod tip. 🤷🏿‍♂️

A nice stream side lunch was had. About 7 miles covered. Breathe the freshness and love it and appreciate it.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Big J

http://www.gearkeeper.com/flyfish/landingnetretrac.html

You need to buy one of these.  My net gets snagged and I just keep walking.   d:b

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Big J on May 03, 2018, 13:10:28 PM
http://www.gearkeeper.com/flyfish/landingnetretrac.html

You need to buy one of these.  My net gets snagged and I just keep walking.   d:b

I know, dude. I meant to get one a while back when you mentioned it. Grabbed the new pack and new simms fishing pants and leaders and such at the fly shop on Monday night. Forgot that thing, though.

driver

What the hell do you need a net for?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: driver on May 04, 2018, 19:18:59 PM

Ya never know when your gonna catch a 13 inch Brookie and need to net it for proper photos

I use something like this for a net keeper
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123064680078

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 04, 2018, 19:36:05 PM

Ya never know when your gonna catch a 13 inch Brookie and need to net it for proper photos

I use something like this for a net keeper
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123064680078

Or for any fish for that matter. Ya never really know what you might catch in some of these creeks. Nets help for photos but immensely as well for not dribbling the fish about the rocks when working to unhook it and such.

ryguy

Early Saturday morning I departed my house and headed west toward The mountains and the promise of cold clear water, ideally with plenty of dry fly fishing.

Met my buddy early and headed up into the hills.  Our intended stream, after making it a long ways up the dirt road/trail in my truck, and with another few miles to go, was blocked by 2 large downed trees.

Turned around and went to a large well known eastern slope stream.  We hiked up a ways before starting to fish.  The next few hours were spent searching for trout with no success.  Water was perfect, fish were seen, and strikes were missed.  Saw a fair number of sulphurs hatching, and a lot of hikers.  Lesson for today was to carry a roll of TP in the truck.

Stream...

Small snake...

Can anyone identify this tree?  Probably one of the largest I have seen recently.  Crappy phone pics:

It's always nice to get out, whether there are fish caught or not.  Now it's time to celebrate Mother's Day!

Dougfish

Probably Tuliptree. Aka, Tulip Poplar.
No TP is sad. Worse than a skunking.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

I had an incident with a tree like that once, in the upper Wilson Creek water shed. It was remove the tree and drive 5min back to camp, or drive two hours to go around it.

We hiked to camp and got an axe. It was only 14 inch in diameter though. Then towed it out the way with a tow strap.

Phil

Years of experience = ALWAYS having toilet paper in the back of the vest.....

ryguy

I should travel with my chainsaw.  Surprising amount of downed trees around.

TP going in today.  Don't usually fish with a vest, but I'll make room!

Dee-Vo

Nice job getting out. Shit happens.....

Dee-Vo

Located my camera a few days ago and charged that bad boy up only to find these pics from last May. I took the boy to another wild stream and lured him along with M&Ms, gummies, and such. Things like this help to keep his mind in place (basically just bribery).

We hiked a couple miles and pulled in a wild rainbow. He was happy. I was happy. I'm trying to keep him outdoors as much as possible. He enjoys it, but the techy toys/games are easily addicting.

This was a quick trip. Man, the time sure is flyin'. Until our next outing....

Dee-Vo

I've messed around up in this area a couple times and never fished it. Ken enjoys this confusing knot of dirt roads as much as anyone I've met.

This was last Tuesday, and I decided to haul myself up there to soak a fly or two. Little did I know, I would be fishing a slack ass, shitty stretch of stream, however it is quite appealing to the eye. Trespassing never was so pretty.

I happened upon a deer stand at close proximity -- luckily, nobody was occupying the seat. That would've made for an interesting scenario.

No fish. Maybe I'll hit this in the correct location at some point, who knows.

I've fished some real shitty stuff. This was just not the trouty area I had hoped for. The fresh air, great scenery, and solitude was enough to put a smile on my face for the rest of the evening. Thanks to Ken for the efforts he made for me to locate this place even though I still effed it up.  <-;:

Dee-Vo

I've wanted to hike into this stream for a few years now. Today was the day. I've never heard great things about the fishing here.

Unproductive, the fishing was. I seen zero fish. Caught zero fish. Tales of large browns. Wild rainbows. I seen neither. The water here is as clear as bottled drinking water.

I've sank a lot into this trip. Lots of planning. Lots of hiking. Lots of driving. Lots of trying. Effort....

The larger stream this flow empties into is much better, very enjoyable. Maybe I shall drop down into it yet again and thrash a new piece of water next time.

Trails that were supposed to be here and there were nowhere to be found. I did what I could with what was available to me. Traversing this creek while staying in the water isn't an option here, not unless death by waterfall is something you're interested in obtaining.

The remoteness is a treat of its own. Stop hiking. Listen and breathe. The wind vibrating the leaves. The smell of damp, fresh soil. Open your mind, clear out the clutter, lighten the load.