• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
January 29, 2022, 07:02:25 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Recent posts

Pages1 2 3 ... 10
The Gravel Bar / Re: Doublethink and Newspeak I...
Last post by jwgnc - January 28, 2022, 16:11:42 PM
My wife was born in Athens/McMinn County Tennessee, and I saw the initial article in the local rag - Daily Post Athenian.  And then the internet took it to task.  The publisher and the author, Art Spiegelman, are certainly enjoying the new$.

The Gravel Bar / Re: Dylan may pay off
Last post by trout-r-us - January 28, 2022, 08:49:21 AM
"..........Bob Dylan's catalog is perhaps the most celebrated song collection in the history of American artists, and Sony likely paid between low-to-mid nine-figures for the masters."
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bob-dylan-sells-recorded-rights-173959709.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
The Gravel Bar / Re: Movie Thread.
Last post by trout-r-us - January 28, 2022, 08:41:27 AM
Holocaust Remembrance Day brings to my mind a movie that so well portrays the innate innocence of children, and a concept believed by many that hatred is a learned behavior.
You cannot see attachments on this board.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Stock Market Jitters
Last post by trout-r-us - January 28, 2022, 08:20:42 AM
Quote from: Onslow on January 24, 2022, 22:49:02 PMCarrot, bean, corn, lettuce, tater, squash, cucumber seeds are a solid investment. Our food conveyance systems are ill and weak.

Absolutely. And during this market downturn, many Ag stocks have been holding firm or heading up. Not many deals to be found in that sector. I've been monitoring a few without much luck. Deere, Archer Daniels, Bunge, Teucrium Corn, are all looking strong all through these down days.
Last post by Onslow - January 28, 2022, 06:11:11 AM
Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 20:23:14 PMAmazing to me that these censors are put off by words such as damn and bitch. We just had a president call a journalist a dumb son of a bitch, and the previous president's foul mouth is a matter of public knowledge, yet nobody seems to give a darn.

Yes, and both Biden and Trump suck. Next....
Last post by Yallerhammer - January 27, 2022, 20:26:50 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 20:23:14 PMAmazing to me that these censors are put off by words such as damn and bitch. We just had a president call a journalist a dumb son of a bitch, and the previous president's foul mouth is a matter of public knowledge, yet nobody seems to give a darn.
Yep. I grew up in a world where you would go to Hell for fishing or mowing your yard on Sunday or saying fuck.
Last post by trout-r-us - January 27, 2022, 20:23:14 PM
Amazing to me that these censors are put off by words such as damn and bitch. We just had a president call a journalist a dumb son of a bitch, and the previous president's foul mouth is a matter of public knowledge, yet nobody seems to give a darn.
Last post by Yallerhammer - January 27, 2022, 20:07:25 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 27, 2022, 20:04:52 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 19:28:56 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 27, 2022, 19:27:30 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 19:05:26 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 17:36:08 PMCensorship is still alive and well in Tennessee. Guess not much has changed over there since the Scopes Monkey Trial almost 100 years ago.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-school-board-bans-holocaust-200828371.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
I call bullshit on most of that. It's spun to death. Most conservatives I've been around are very pro-Jewish and pro-Israel. Fundamentalist Christians consider Jews to be God's chosen people and respect them. I have never met an actual conservative holocaust denier or anti-Semite in over a half-century of life on this planet. Most of the anti-Semitism I see nowadays comes from Muslims and left-wing pro-Palestinians. Most of the folks I see wanting to ban stuff in general are extremely liberal.

As for the Scopes Monkey Trial, you are spot-on with that. I have met thousands of conservative Christian evolution deniers.

Yaller, you might be reading too much into the protest and ban.  I doubt half of the parents that were bitching and moaning could tell us one fact about the holocaust.

I don't believe the parents were holocaust deniers or anti-Jewish.  They had issues with the language and nudity ("......eight crude words like "damn" and "bitch" and one scene of nudity"). 

I'll agree with that to an extent. I was referring to the obvious heavily-spun hateful feel of the article that paints all conservatives as evils sub-humans who are all anti-Semitic and wanting to ban everything enlightening. Most conservatives are fine with Jewish folks, but most Baptists will swear in public that they're against being nekkid and cussing and drinking. Unless they're somewhere in private being nekkid and cussing and drinking.

I think you might be overly protective and defensive of your tribe.  There are ignorant dumbassed liberals and there are ignorant dumbassed conservatives. 

In this TN case it is likely a few ignorant dumbassed members of the conservative clan.

I have absolutely no disagreement with you on that. There are plenty of ignorant, fanatical dumbasses on both sides who totally lack the ability to think for themselves.
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - January 27, 2022, 20:04:52 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 19:28:56 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 27, 2022, 19:27:30 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 19:05:26 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 17:36:08 PMCensorship is still alive and well in Tennessee. Guess not much has changed over there since the Scopes Monkey Trial almost 100 years ago.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-school-board-bans-holocaust-200828371.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
I call bullshit on most of that. It's spun to death. Most conservatives I've been around are very pro-Jewish and pro-Israel. Fundamentalist Christians consider Jews to be God's chosen people and respect them. I have never met an actual conservative holocaust denier or anti-Semite in over a half-century of life on this planet. Most of the anti-Semitism I see nowadays comes from Muslims and left-wing pro-Palestinians. Most of the folks I see wanting to ban stuff in general are extremely liberal.

As for the Scopes Monkey Trial, you are spot-on with that. I have met thousands of conservative Christian evolution deniers.

Yaller, you might be reading too much into the protest and ban.  I doubt half of the parents that were bitching and moaning could tell us one fact about the holocaust.

I don't believe the parents were holocaust deniers or anti-Jewish.  They had issues with the language and nudity ("......eight crude words like "damn" and "bitch" and one scene of nudity"). 

I'll agree with that to an extent. I was referring to the obvious heavily-spun hateful feel of the article that paints all conservatives as evils sub-humans who are all anti-Semitic and wanting to ban everything enlightening. Most conservatives are fine with Jewish folks, but most Baptists will swear in public that they're against being nekkid and cussing and drinking. Unless they're somewhere in private being nekkid and cussing and drinking.

I think you might be overly protective and defensive of your tribe.  There are ignorant dumbassed liberals and there are ignorant dumbassed conservatives. 

In this TN case it is likely a few ignorant dumbassed members of the conservative clan.
Last post by Yallerhammer - January 27, 2022, 20:03:44 PM
Quote from: greg on January 27, 2022, 19:54:41 PMBanning books is a slippery damn slope.
Yep. I agree. It ain't just the conservatives, though. Atlas Shrugged would be ok to ban for a lot of folks. And canceling folks and banning them from all social media for non-conformist (conservative) views.

Speaking of the Holocaust, I read a Rasmussen poll the other day where 45% of liberals think it would be ok to put unvaccinated Americans into internment camps. Divide, other, conquer. Been working for centuries.
Pages1 2 3 ... 10

#CommissionsEarned