So will my 5wt hold up to steelhead?

Started by rjs123, November 18, 2009, 22:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassfisher

Good call on the 7 weight, I wouldn't fish less than a 6 wt.  A 20' steelie is different than a 20' bow, stick with the bigger rods.

Can't wait to hear the report from my old home water, the Grand is the first river I ever cast a fly in.  Bruce @ Grand River tackle can set you up with good flies, he's a good guy, hope they're still in business.  Grand river tributaries can be good too, depending on the flow I've had good days on Payne Creek and others.  Local shops can put you in the right direction on where the fish are. Keep an eye on the USGS site, best fishing is below 350 and it really picks up below 250.

Also try dinner @ Willoughby Brewing Co or Great Lakes Brewing Co.   0--0    ;D   0--0 
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rjs123

Well folks I again had to cancel what was shaping up to be a really nice trip.  I went to Gettysburg this past weekend to shoot portraits of people in period dress.  It was a good event but no where near what I was hoping for. The economy really does suck right now. Ive seen it first hand all year.  I looked at my cash flow for the next few weeks and decided it was best to head back home.

So.... thanks for all the advice.  Non of it will go to waste,   Im ready for the next time I head up there.  Probably around Christmas.

Good thing is Ill be in town for the TU Meeting next week.

Off to fish the Smith for a little today.

Woolly Bugger

damn, you filled us with antici...

pation of busted rods and monster steel....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phg

Bummer!  As for the Smith, I think your 5wt will do just fine. >:D

glassfisher

December, good luck man, my days of December steelheading are long gone.  I'll be down here fishin the trout streams where the weather actually gets above freezing.

Quote from: rjs123 on November 24, 2009, 11:39:25 AM
Well folks I again had to cancel what was shaping up to be a really nice trip.  I went to Gettysburg this past weekend to shoot portraits of people in period dress.  It was a good event but no where near what I was hoping for. The economy really does suck right now. Ive seen it first hand all year.  I looked at my cash flow for the next few weeks and decided it was best to head back home.

So.... thanks for all the advice.  Non of it will go to waste,   Im ready for the next time I head up there.  Probably around Christmas.

Good thing is Ill be in town for the TU Meeting next week.

Off to fish the Smith for a little today.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.