News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Great interview

Started by The Dude, July 29, 2013, 03:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

Good for you, Rod.  I also agree with you, Steve.  Don't call me a rube or a right wing nut job because I believe in God.

bullship

Quote from: 5xTippett on August 02, 2013, 09:28:57 AM
Good for you, Rod.  I also agree with you, Steve.  Don't call me a rube or a right wing nut job because I believe in God.

Who is doing this? I don't understand the defensive stance. I've heard it my whole life, yet I've only met a couple true athiests....ever....in 35 years....and I've met a lot of people who wouldn't be considered 'religious' per se. Did you know: 92% of Americans believe in god. 78% are Christians. Who are these people who are giving you a hard time? I haven't met them.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Jfey

Good stuff Rod, thanks for sharing your story. 

Where is all the rube and right wing stuff coming from in regards to believing in God?  I think those labels are used for other things, but not belief in God?  I've not heard that coming from anywhere before.

Edit, I see Bullship beat me to the thought....
Yup, going fishing

Trout Maharishi

I am seeing it more and more. I could make a list of names, but that wouldn't tell the whole story. I see it more as a general trend. Check out this article from the Huffing Post, a fairly liberal organization I'd say. They appear to have a little different take on the 90% plus figure. Right wing Christians are openly portrayed  in a negative light in liberal circles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/religion-america-decline-low-no-affiliation-report_n_2867626.html

"But perhaps the most telling numbers pertained to the breakdown of the respondents' politics: 40 percent of liberals claim they have no religion, compared to just 9 percent of conservatives". Huffington Post

Look at the slide show at the end of the article. See any correlation between most religious states verses least religious states?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

bullship

Ok? So, you're scared of liberals? Or you think they think that you're crazy because of what you believe? Why do you give any fucks about that? Secularists don't exactly have a history of extremism. Just sayin. I don't think your actually afraid of Prius(or subaru) driving, sandal wearing, gluten free douchebags. But, maybe you're a pussy.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.

benben reincarnated

Steve, that may be how the chips fall but I don't think you can make any assumptions based on that. Americans are good at grouping individuals for better or worse. If the majority of Christians vote red, then that is how the chips fall.  Usually also as you are aware, the most vocal "wings" of a group define the group as a whole.

Nothing worth getting all antsy about though. There are bad apples in every bunch.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: bullship on August 02, 2013, 11:49:39 AM
Ok? So, you're scared of liberals? Or you think they think that you're crazy because of what you believe? Why do you give any fucks about that? Secularists don't exactly have a history of extremism. Just sayin. I don't think your actually afraid of Prius(or subaru) driving, sandal wearing, gluten free douchebags. But, maybe you're a pussy.

Believe me Bullshit, I'm not scared of much, and liberals ain't on the list. Questioning me about being a pussy is a little offensive, but I'll let that slide. Because I realize you don't know me.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: benben on August 02, 2013, 11:52:11 AM
Steve, that may be how the chips fall but I don't think you can make any assumptions based on that. Americans are good at grouping individuals for better or worse. If the majority of Christians vote red, then that is how the chips fall.  Usually also as you are aware, the most vocal "wings" of a group define the group as a whole.

Nothing worth getting all antsy about though. There are bad apples in every bunch.

Ben I totally agree :D A question had been ask and I was just adding my 2 cents worth. Certainly nothing personal against anyone here. I'm far from some religious right wing kook anyway. I completely agree that there are extremes on both ends of the spectrum.
― Charles Bukowski

bullship

Nothing personal. I'm still just trying to increase my poss poor smite count. I'm just in a button pushing mood today. I don't think you're a pussy. I just think the argument is silly and unfounded, which is why I would say you're a pussy if you feel like some anonymous liberals potentially threatened your most closely held beliefs. But I'm not saying you're a pussy.

Big J

Quote from: bullship on August 02, 2013, 11:49:39 AM

Quote from: bullship on August 02, 2013, 12:03:59 PM
Nothing personal. I'm still just trying to increase my poss poor smite count. I'm just in a button pushing mood today. I don't think you're a pussy. I just think the argument is silly and unfounded, which is why I would say you're a pussy if you feel like some anonymous liberals potentially threatened your most closely held beliefs. But I'm not saying you're a pussy.

Hittin the booze early this afternoon?

Trout Maharishi

I didn't write the fucking article ;D
― Charles Bukowski

The Dude

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 02, 2013, 11:39:11 AM

"But perhaps the most telling numbers pertained to the breakdown of the respondents' politics: 40 percent of liberals claim they have no religion, compared to just 9 percent of conservatives". Huffington Post

Look at the slide show at the end of the article. See any correlation between most religious states verses least religious states?

What troubles me most is when religious views justify politics.  Freedom does not exist in that environment and the two should not be mixed.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Big J

Quote from: The Dude on August 02, 2013, 12:11:08 PM

What troubles me most is when religious views justify politics.  Freedom does not exist in that environment and the two should not be mixed.

Unfortanately for you, one who has a religious worldview usually has to carry it over to all parts of one's life or else he would be considered a hypocrite.

Also here is an interesting article for you to read.

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/the-wall-of-separation-between-church-and-state#axzz2apheaQZs

bullship

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: The Dude on August 02, 2013, 12:11:08 PM

Agreed, and as Ben has already pointed out it is all too often the outspoken extreme minority that are setting the agenda.
― Charles Bukowski