1st 2009 Basic Fly Fishing Clinic - Pechmann Center (Fayetteville)

Started by Al, January 11, 2009, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

If it is January in Fayetteville it must be time for the annual fly fishing clinics at the NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center. Our first of many scheduled events was held on Saturday, January 10, 2009. Thirty participants had pre-registered through Lake Rim Park. We also had several "walk -in's" on the morning of the clinic.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Everyone grabbed a cup of coffee or soda, along with a donut and checked out the many fishing related displays while we waited around for everyone to check in. Many of our participants and volunteers recognized each other. There were also a lot of self introductions by folks who all had a common interest.

The first clinic of 2009 kicked off promptly at nine o'clock by the Pechmann Center Director Kris Smith who made everyone feel welcome and got them excited about a day of learning and fun.

Our basic clinics start with an overview of fly fishing presented by one of our many experienced volunteers.

We then break out into groups which rotate through four different stations, the first of which teaches essential knots and fly rod assembly

The "Healthy Habitat & Fishermen's Ethics" station always provides lots of lively thought provoking discussion

Our third station teaches everyone the NC rules and regulations which are pertain to trout fishing.

The last and probably most difficult station demonstrates and then provides hands-on instruction in the basics of casting. This was the first time that many of our participants had actually held a fly rod in their hands. This is our seventh year with the clinics and we pride ourselves in planting the seed of passion in many who go on to become very accomplished fly fishermen.

Today we had sufficient volunteers to offer one on one instruction when it came time to move from demonstration to actual practice with a well balanced fly rod (without a fly) on one of the Center's many ponds

Every clinic finishes with a self paced final exam hosted by several hundred trout in two of the ponds. Most participants pass with flying colors.

We normally limit our clinics to those 12 years of age or older but we had met this young fellow and his brother at the recent Wildlife Expo and invited them and their dad to attend one of our clinics. They brought their own fly rods and had skill levels equal to or exceeding many of the adults. 

Near the end of the clinic many of our participants moved to the catfish ponds to put some serious bends in their fly rods. The biggest I saw caught today was about 5 pounds, however some of our volunteers have caught catfish which exceeded 10 pounds during previous clinics. This gentlemen's catfish was about a pound but he is thrilled nonetheless

At the end of the day all the fly rods receive a "once over" by a couple of our volunteers to make sure they are ready for the next event. We will be hosting  Wounded Warriors & NC Handicapped Sportsmen on Wednesday, Jan 14th and the next Basic Fly Fishing Clinic on Saturday, Jan 24th.

WRector

What a great turn out AL!   :j  The smiling faces on new comers are what makes teaching this sport that much better!

Here's to you, the NCWRC, and all the volunteers  0--0
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

5xTippett

Al, it was a blast.  It is an awesome place.  It was great to see you and Paul, and I finally got to meet the gentleman from Nepal.  I look forward to going back.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Gofisher

Good write up Al. Nice job to all for their participation. I wish they had something like that over here.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Al

Quote from: Gofisher on January 12, 2009, 08:29:44 AM
Good write up Al. Nice job to all for their participation. I wish they had something like that over here.

We are blessed with the Pechmann Center and NCWRC support - but I think if a TU Chapter or other group got together they could do something like this most anywhere on a smaller scale.

The challenge is finding someone to ram rod it. Things don't just happen - people make them happen.

troutphisher

Thats usually the case with any project, dedicated folks.

Great Job Al. Looks like a lot of fun.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

glassfisher

Way to go man, getting newcomers started in the right direction helps us all.  I've met more than a few on the stream that would have benefitted by a class like this.   ;)
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Gofisher

Quote from: Al on January 12, 2009, 16:41:34 PM
Quote from: Gofisher on January 12, 2009, 08:29:44 AM

We are blessed with the Pechmann Center and NCWRC support - but I think if a TU Chapter or other group got together they could do something like this most anywhere on a smaller scale.

The challenge is finding someone to ram rod it. Things don't just happen - people make them happen.

Just found out that we will be doing a fundraiser locally here for Project Healing Waters. The first orginizational meeting is 1/27 and I look forward to attending. It'll be in April and include a weekend campout, fishing, and silent and live auctions. Thanks for getting me interested in projects like this Al.  ;hb
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

lepomis_mcro

great work as always AL.. one question however.. where did the get that huge redbreast in the first pic. that thing would look awsome in my living room. i could hang a flat screen tv on it.
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.