News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canii and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: wildmttrout on November 03, 2014, 09:51:34 AM
Damm, I wish I could have gone. That looked sorta fun

you coulda gone if you manned up! y;
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Nice. I need to check generation and head down.
Pawpaw seeds, I believe.

The hoop? I got nothin.

TroutMedic

The hoop is a treasure. Comes from the native Bassett residents.   A dream catcher non the less.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: TroutMedic on November 03, 2014, 12:23:14 PM
The hoop is a treasure. Comes from the native Bassett residents.   A dream catcher non the less.

I can see it now, all my dreams washed away downstream in the dirty smith river
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

croaker

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 03, 2014, 08:56:28 AM

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

found this hoop in the water, any ideas???

Upper Slot Size Trout Dream Catcher?     'c;
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

benben reincarnated

Keith, that's a dark ass brown you caught.

On the video you are filming of you driving your go-cart around, what kind of mount do you have to mount it to your car for the side shots and the front-view shots?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: benben on November 04, 2014, 06:53:19 AM
Keith, that's a dark ass brown you caught.

On the video you are filming of you driving your go-cart around, what kind of mount do you have to mount it to your car for the side shots and the front-view shots?

Gopro grip mount is a spring clamp with an articulated arm, twist and turn

Fish was lit up but I didn't get a good shot of its belly

[attach=2]
this shot shows the color better...

Go cart gets 30.59 mpg!
me -There's a season?

AwesomeBillFrmDawsonville

Those are beautiful photos Woolly Bugger, keep it up!

Woolly Bugger

My friend released his first album in three or four years, The Arrow, by Jeffrey Dean Foster.
My friend Haydee put together this video for him, she shot it while sailing about England, France, and Spain this summer with more friends.

The path to the river was littered with a blanket leaves, all brown and piled thick, they crunched as I hiked in along the trail to the river. The sun was off the water, the hill blocking the winter sun. There would only be about three hours of daylight. I was here yesterday and I didn't move a fish, I planned on tossing the same streamer, it caught fish here before. I brought along the floating line and tied up some stoneflies as a backup. Rigging up the streamer express, I noticed a few more nicks in the coating and wondered when I would have to buy a new one. " Has anyone tried heat shrink tubing", I  wondered? Three feet of 15 lb looped to the short leader should do. I study the water and try to look through it, trying to figure out where the trout are. I remember exactly where every fish was caught or blew up on the fly.  I cover all the water several times and was about to change flies or move on when, "Bam! Fish on!"

Moving on down to the next run I came across an unfinished raccoon meal.

I covered all of the accessible spots on this part of the river and only left the water when it was too dark to see. 

Finished the day with a Hoots Morning Stout (brewed with Krankies Coffee)

[size=50]MY HP Envy crashed last week, motherboard gone bad, HP's two year warranty came through, but I had to reload all of the programs that I use. Office, CS6, were the two biggies.... all data was backed up but some of my recent TR photos are on the backup computer... so these TRs are going to be a bit out of order for now.[/size]
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Nice!    'c;
Including the video.  y;

NCsporksman

You are a bastard n!n

That coon left all the good parts

JWJ

Woolly Bugger

December, getting close to the end of another year. Many age related milestones in my family. Parents hitting 90, my son turned 21, daughter 18, and I hit the big 60! It brings new joys and challenges too. My high school classmate and long time accountant passed away this spring and I'm missing him as we get ready to close the books for 2014.

The Smith River TU chapter's meeting was last night, George Palmer and Scott Smith, fisheries biologists with the Virginia Department Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) gave a presentation about the results of the recent electroshocking survey of the upper and lower river section. It confirmed what we all know, lots of small fish close to the dam, getting bigger and fewer as you move downstream to the next dam. Big fish below the second dam, but fewer and father between. George is new to the area and has some plans to "improve" the fishery, I'm skeptical.

Since I was making the drive, I might as well fish a bit. The lower dam was releasing too much water to wade, so I hit the upper section and took the Sally god with me, where she can run in the big field besides the river. After I geared up and we began the hike across Philpott's field, Sally caught a sent and was off running down the edge of the woods. When we arrived at the path to the river, Sally lay down on the top of the bank as I stepped down onto the gravelbar. Nothing was happening on the water, the grey skies were perfect for a BWO hatch, but all I saw was an occasional midge. I looked in several boxes for inspiration before settling on an emerging midge patter, which I received from the suk basketball pool a few years back. Damn if that think didn't raise a fish on the third or fourth cast! I though I was good, but not another fish would hit that fly. Finally gave up and clipped it off, settling for a fly that I picked up at the TU monthly raffle last month, a large elk hair sulfur patter, which I thought looked like the yellow drakes that sometimes pop off.

Cast that fly up under the rhodos where I had seen an early rise, and bam! They like the big yellow fly and several fish came to hand before darkness crept in and my casting was either two feet short or in the trees. I retreated to the bank and sat down with the god and drank a beer while waiting for the river to rise from the evening generation.

I led the way up the path to the field and when I stepped into the open there was a whitetail 10 yards in front of me. The deer froze until Sally, who was two steps behind me stepped up and got a glance, she shot off in hot pursuit as the deer ran across the open field to the wood about 200 yards away. Sally quit at the far edge an circled back to my as I began to hike back to the car. I guess she got her exercise for the day.

We drove back into town for the TU meeting where we heard the biologist report on the data collected from the most recent sampling. Some interesting options were brought up for "improving" the lower river fishery. More sampling needs to be done.

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Good to see ya, bossman. And glad you and Sally got out.  'c;

If nothing else, George is enthusiastic and has plans. Nobody else has had that fire. We'll see what happens!

Woolly Bugger

It was a prefect streamer day, heavy overcast, falling water, and just a slight intermittent drizzle, and I had visions of hooking into a big brown. I started up on some runs that I have not visited in a while, they weren't productive, but I was saving the best part for the end of the day. Moving on down I worked some new water, exploring the river and finding a few new ways to wade across the rive and hit the far bank. Took one pune on the swing and that was it for the second location. Packed up and hit the lower river, each cast was filled with anticipation, but I failed to get a strike. I moved around and worked parts of the river from opposite the usual way we attack this water and I discovers some new access points. One fish blew up on the fly and I had a second solid tug but no fish came to hand. Moving up past the head of the rapids, I climbed up on top of a log jam. Peering over the top I saw some really great looking water where a trout was surly to hold. With one foot placed on top of the log, I stepped out to brace myself with the other foot on a smaller and lower log. Looking down, didn't look good, falling was not an option. It wasn't he most secure or comfortable position, but, hopefully secure enough to cast from. I began to strip out line, I wasn't sure how I would land a fish from here, and was aware that hooking a big fish here might be tragic. Dropped the fly right in the diner plate, got a number of good cast into the run but I got nothing! I backed down, knowing that I would have to keep on trying this new spot. Came off the river at o'dark thirty and headed home to the local brewpub for a pint or two of their, just released, Creekside Pale Ale, which I think is their best beer to date!

me -There's a season?