News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Crane Fly

Started by troutphisher, April 08, 2012, 20:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

This is a pretty simple pattern for a yellow crane fly.

I see them frequently on the South Holston, but I have never fished them in the glass or slack water. Next week I'm going to try this pattern out on a stretch of water notorious for finicky sipping fish. I have gathered some samples, and wanted to tie a simple pattern that would represent them. I have tied them with legs, but the legs don't seam to hold up to more than a couple of fish, and the choice of materials is limited due to the long thin nature of their legs. The ones I have tied with legs, I have used a dark water shed may fly tail, but have either pulled them off when removing the hook, or they gent bent out of shape, so I decided on a no leg pattern, more of a spent crane.

I don't know if it will work, but I have to try..........

Hook: Mustad 94833 size 16

Thread: Yellow Uni-Thread 8/0

Wings: Ginger cape hackle tips

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

blue ridge angler

Nice..I have never fished any crane fly patterns, other than Walt's worm and other larval imitations..

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: blue ridge angler on April 08, 2012, 20:22:35 PM
Nice..I have never fished any crane fly patterns

If you've ever tossed a Catskill style mayfly down stream and skittered it back up and then let it drift back down you have.