News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

A Spring Harvest

Started by Grannyknot, April 02, 2012, 08:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grannyknot

Amber and I packed the following into our (now) little car Friday afternoon:  Crosby (1 year old son), 2 dogs, 2 tarps, 1 large tent, firewood, miscellaneous camping gear, foraging equipment, and fly fishing gear.  By 6 o'clock we were clear of the Knoxville city limits and headed toward Nantahala NF and a night of heavy rains.  This would mark the first time, since having Crosby, that we've taken the dogs camping with us.  It was more like camping with 3 children.  They are well behaved dogs, but you still have to get them back on point every now and again.  Crosby managed to fill up his diaper about half way up the Cherohala skyway, so I had the joy of standing in the rain, changing his diaper, while the dogs ran amuck at Eagle gap.

Pulled into camp around 8:00, and the rain let up just enough to set up the tent and tarps without getting everything completely soaked.  We put Crosby to sleep in the tent and sat under the tarp drinking cold beer, eating egg salad sandwiches, listening to the rain, and talking about the next days plans.  Amber is a master forager, and I could tell she was chomping at the bit to explore this eastern sloping temperate rain forest.  We retired to bed around 11 and were awoken by storms throughout the night. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woke up around 7 the next morning and was very surprised to find that our campsite wasn't a complete swamp.  Had some camp coffee and pancakes, quickly put on my wading boots, and hit the road not knowing what to expect on the water.  I bushwacked through the rhododendron, down into the creek gorge, and stepped out onto the creek only to find perfect water.  Dry fly fishing started off being pretty hot, but I never seemed to be able to keep any of the decent fish on.  By 9:00, the nymph bite was on and I was catching fish in nearly every run.  I rarely take a net to the mountains, but I was glad to have it with me for this guy.  (Ben...I desperately need to make a net)

This one went about 15", took a double standard nymph, and was released to live another day.  With 3 small trout in the creel bag, I had fished my way back to camp by around 11, so I climbed up out of the gorge to find that Amber had been quite successful in her activities.

We packed up early that afternoon and headed home.  That night we had fried fish, fried morels, & ramps that had been tossed into some bacon grease.  Deodorant is no match for the rank stench of wild leeks coming from my pores 2 days after the fact.  Sorry I forgot the obligatory cold beer picture.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Cody
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Transylwader

Nice dude, was in the Nantahala on Friday dodging lightning strikes. Ramps are out in full force, since giving up drinking, I can't stomach that pungent stuff.

benben reincarnated

Nice looking brown!  Pretty cool trip you had with the family too. 

Sucks about the stormy weather.  This weather lately has been so unpredictable lately.  Yesterday I got rained on, and was even heavier at the house, despite the fact they had predicted sunny weather all day.  Seems it rains everyday somewhere, more like a late summer weather pattern.

robs_seven

Cool trip, its good to see folks not giving up what they love after having little ones but take them along. We have always taking my little girl out with us, ever since she was 2weeks old. Nice fish!!

Quote from: Transylwader on April 02, 2012, 09:10:54 AM
since giving up drinking
???? What's that about???
!!!Tying, building, fishing!!!

Quote from: Transylwader on June 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM
This creek was so big that a high hole was virtually impossible.

OldDominionAngler

Done right!  Nice stuff Granny.   'c;

5xTippett

i enjoyed the heck out of that report!  Neat brown. -0-

rbphoto

Quote from: robs_seven on April 02, 2012, 10:11:02 AM
Cool trip, its good to see folks not giving up what they love after having little ones but take them along. We have always taking my little girl out with us, ever since she was 2weeks old. Nice fish!!

since giving up drinking

That's what I want to know!!!!

What's the world coming to when TW gives up booze?
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

bullship

since giving up drinking

What the what?

Excellent report, but Im distracted because that just blew my mind.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

blue ridge angler

Great reportage..I cooked up some morels the other day, and damn were they tasty..I would eat those all the time if I had them..
Good stuff..

lostnwilderness

Ramps, Morrells and fresh trout...  That's some sexy eating right there! bd;0
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

Dougfish

Quote from: robs_seven on April 02, 2012, 10:11:02 AM

since giving up drinking

Is there a disturbance in the force? WTF? Oh, cheers btw! 0:0

kylemc

That is most excellent Granny. Brought back supper from the woods with the entire family.

Well played sir, well played.

I knew something was a miss since I have been drinking twice as much lately. I just didn't know who's slack I was picking up. I got you Tranny.

If it's for health issues or personal issues or whatever. Hang in there Mike!