News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gutlord Governers

Started by Holmes, March 31, 2012, 21:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holmes

Last saturday I hit an extremely remote SNP west sloper. This one has struggled during recent droughts but some nice fish are beginning to show once again.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The trib was quite scenic, but lacking in numbers of fish...

All said and done I had logged 12 miles on the trail. I am training for an upcoming 3 week backpack through west virginia. I figure a little fishing on the side will make the training more "pleasant".

The past week has been insanity here in the Shenandoah Valley. Luckily, my spanish proff. cancelled our thursday class, so it was off to the GWNF to test out some new creeks. Sure am glad I headed out there. It was pure insanity on dry flies. I can't recall encountering such fat brookies. It was like feeding time at the zoo. The action only got better as the day wore on...

I started off with a size 14 dark cahill, but changed over to a big stimi. No need for anything else, thats what they wanted for the rest of the day.

I was really impressed with the average size of the fish in this creek. And the sheer volume of these fish is what further convinced me that I needed to do some more exploring upstream...
It seemed like there was a fish behind every rock, just waiting to pounce the stimmy...

This guy rose really slowly out of a deep pool for a slow-mo take on the stimmy...

Check out the pouch on this guy... His whole mouth was stuffed with caddis and the greedy bastard had to munch on the stimulator as well... -0-

I fished right up until dark. I was hauling one in on every cast. Caddis were coming off in waves, and fish were jumping everywhere.

Then today it was off to hit what I feel is the most difficult hike in SNP. I don't even think Tranny would be willing to hit this one up. Cary decided to join in the effort. He just completed the AT SNP section last week and is no slouch on or off the trail. That sure helped, because this particular stretch of water is not pleasant for most sane people... ;D
When we got to the lower end of the holler, we found this old chimney. There were still tin pots inside.

Unfortunately, the water was really low. Most of the west side had gotten rain, but I guess the patchy thunderstorms missed this one.

We still caught a pile of fish. Most of them were really nice size with very few dinks landed...

Maybe this fish didn't get the memo, but the spawn ended a long time ago... :-\

This creek has a really neat box canyon. Still, the low water had us crawling into position to lay the hammer on the unsuspecting char.

Caught 15 fish out of this pool. Saw an absolute beast in there, but every time we tried to drop the fly down, the smaller ones would get to it before the monster brookie had a chance. All the commotion put him down. I know where he lives...

The falls... It took some major rock climbing/footwork to make it to this point in the slot canyon. We did not see any fish in there.

There is a big cascade/bracket below. It's a shame they werent up there.

Which then left us the tricky task of climbing out of the box canyon. Once we were out, each step was taken with great care to avoid falling into the vertabrae crushing abyss.

It was a painful hike back to skyline. After we get some rain in that watershed, then it will be time to hit it again. I can't wait.... 'c;

benben reincarnated

Insanity.

Damn nice brookies.  Really awesome scenery too.  That box canyon was pretty sick looking. 

Holmes

Quote from: benben on March 31, 2012, 21:32:21 PM
Insanity.

Damn nice brookies.  Really awesome scenery too.  That box canyon was pretty sick looking.

Sick looking but talk about treacherous to get out of..  :-\ My buddy did it in felt soled wading boots. Guys got some balls...

FoulHook

Damn.... That's just ridiculous.  :o
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

tomato can

Wow all I can say is wow. 

Dougfish

Very nice fish. You youngin's are hardcore! bd;0

Big J

Dang Petey, nice outings.  Speaking of hiking legs....I need to get mine back.   b';

OldDominionAngler

You're an animal Jesse!  Good stuff.   'c;

mecnc

Wow awesome fish and scenery. Good job.  'c;

Holmes

Sometimes we think we are hardcore... until the legs burn on the near vertical hike back to the car.

Hey foulhook, you reckon on hitching a ride up with Tranny sometime? The fishing will not disspoint.. If you can make it late may, i'd be free. Then I could show you one hectic terrestrial bite- big brookies+foam beetle=good times.

Quote from: Dougfish on April 01, 2012, 07:12:50 AM
Very nice fish. You youngin's are hardcore! bd;0

FoulHook

Quote from: Petey on April 01, 2012, 18:36:51 PM
Hey foulhook, you reckon on hitching a ride up with Tranny sometime? The fishing will not disspoint.. If you can make it late may, i'd be free. Then I could show you one hectic terrestrial bite- big brookies+foam beetle=good times.

I'd love to get up there. Been wanting to for about a year now. Although, I'd probably just drive straight from Brevard instead of driving to Raleigh then heading North with the Tran-man (unless he moves to Asheville before then). About 6.5 hours straight from here, +3 hours to go through Raleigh. If I can make it I'll do it, we'll talk when it gets to about May.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Transylwader

Uh, adjust the color in yo television. Thats some sick azz action. I need to get up in the SNP before the temps soar. Well played bru 'c;

tattdflythrower

ok thats it  im tired of seein these damn foot long brookie bastards on my computer and not in my hand b'; hit me up bro  needa plan a trip
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

Holmes

Quote from: tattdflythrower on April 02, 2012, 20:07:17 PM
ok thats it  im tired of seein these damn foot long brookie bastards on my computer and not in my hand b'; hit me up bro  needa plan a trip

Hey man, check yo PM's. I'm busy as hell clear up until graduation, but have some time late may... details in PM, if you want some huge brookies i've got the hookup. ;D

kylemc

Kewl Petey. Where do you keep the beer and sandwiches?