News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Spey Rod

Started by Big J, February 20, 2012, 16:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

So I've talked to some guys at a local group and they threw out the idea of using a spey rod to bomb streamers on the James for smallies.  Been mulling over the idea in my head and kind of want to try it, just have no clue when it comes to casting spey rods. 

So I know it's probably impractical to learn how to cast a spey rod just for smallies on the James....but I think it would be fun to learn.  Only question is, how hard is it to self teach yourself how to cast one of these things?  Know there are a couple guys on this board that were from Alaska, so maybe you guys can talk me into or out of getting one.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Darthmonkey

You can learn basic anchor casts with a single hand rod; circle spey, double spey, single spey etc. I'd say watch a few videos on YouTube of different spey casts and intros to instructional DVDs. Learn the pros and cons of using traditional long belly lines, scandi or skagit shooting heads before making up your mind about getting a rig.
Why not fish from a pontoon raft? A single person pontoon raft will run you about the same for a lower end rig but give you greater versatility in the long run. But if you're dead set on getting a spey rod shoot me a PM.
The above response is not to be taken seriously, it is on the internet after all.

Peddler

If you can make it to the Southeast FFF Council's Fly Fishing Festival (Conclave) this April at Unicoi State Park Dave Diaz will have a single handed spey casting class that will surely help you with the basics. http://fffsec.org/festival12/2012%20A%20Festival_Registration_Form%20-ONLINE%20-%202_distributed.pdf Also, there is always a group of us castaholics fiddling around with rods and casts and hopefully Rick Pope will bring his truck load of every rod and reel TFO makes and have them strung up and ready to play with.

The video from Simon Gawesworth, Rio's Modern Spey Casting is top notch. http://www.sexyloops.com/tackle/modernspeycasting.shtml
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Big J

Thanks for the links Peddler. 

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phlyfisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 20, 2012, 21:12:02 PM
two words: Spey Nation...

'c; 'c; 'c;

spey nation is facking wicked....

hey big jay, if you make it up for chrome dome you would definitely be able to swing for chromers. Just recently on my homewater there has been an assload of people doing it. its actually pretty damn funny to watch these fools who dont know shiat about fly fishing in the first place trying to cast with a two handed rod. they usually look like these heah fools  :laugh:
[attach=1]

but...some doods actually know what the fack theyre doing. and the fish are willing in that case....
[attach=2]

jes sayin....
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

Cstuck

I do my best to not look like those jokers

but ive been slowly getting into the Spey/Switch  rods more and more for the tailwaters in NC and TN. mostly because i don't have a boat, and I already build rods so its not to expensive to build a Spey from a rather affordable blank

the trick is finding the line/style you like just like Darthmonkey says skagit, spey long or mid-belly, or scandi

... or you can buy a TCX and spend $800+ and look like a douche who doesn't know what their doing.

but Ive used my 13'6" 6wt ( 450gr Skagit Flight) on the SoHo, Catawba, Saluda, Tuck, and swift water portion of the Nana, all will good success swinging streamers and nymphs.
I dont post often...but when i do its good?

robspe7370

Quote from: Big J on February 20, 2012, 16:00:12 PM
So I've talked to some guys at a local group and they threw out the idea of using a spey rod to bomb streamers on the James for smallies.  Been mulling over the idea in my head and kind of want to try it, just have no clue when it comes to casting spey rods. 

So I know it's probably impractical to learn how to cast a spey rod just for smallies on the James....but I think it would be fun to learn.  Only question is, how hard is it to self teach yourself how to cast one of these things?  Know there are a couple guys on this board that were from Alaska, so maybe you guys can talk me into or out of getting one.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

I am working on my second season with switch fishing for smallies on the Shenandoah.One thing to keep in mind is that you are fishing in warm low water mostly on the upper james, so you will need to avoid the heavier skagit style lines as they make alot of commotion coming off and landing on the water. I like over lining a DT line when nymphing, and a compact scandi when throwing streamers.
I taught myself the basics, but am still learning the finer points. You want to try one out sometime just let me know. I have a 6wt,7/8, and 8 wt. Ranging from 10'6"-12'
I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a good time.