Sights of beautiful Raleigh

Started by Transylwader, March 12, 2012, 23:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRector

Quote from: FoulHook on March 13, 2012, 17:28:04 PM
Looks like the next 3 years of my life will be spent away from the great WNC, going back to school. If I end up in Raleigh, we can tag team those silty bottomed urban blue lines (still waiting to hear from NCSU regarding acceptance  b'; ). My other options are Charlotte or Clemson, so warm water: here I come I guess.  b';

Clemson ain't all bad.  The Chattooga is 45 mins. away up hwy 28, and plenty of trouts.  Take a friend is you fish the gorge though, you might be surprised what you find.  Some of the tribs/feeder up and around Jocasee are full of specs as well.   

Good football and beautiful campus.  You want be disappointed if you end up in Clemson, I can tell you that.  I'd pick it over NCSU any day and my pop is a State grad.

Just my 2 cents...
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

Transylwader

Cheers gents,
@ Tomato Can, I have not, I drive over it just above Wake Forest and it appears to be a muddy mess. I just got back into town from a meeting with a client in Lynchburg, there are hundreds of good loking warm water streams in and around Caswell Co (VA) and Warren Co (NC) may head back up there later this afternoon with rod in hand!

Stone-Man

Foul Hook

If you end up in Charlotte or S.C.  you need to fish the Lansford Canal area near Rock Hill .  Running water with a shit load of long Earred Sunfish. Plus Largemouth,bluegill,catfish and it has a white bass run in the Spring. If you like the vegetation, it has a load of the most beautiful spider lillies on the planet.

JT

tomato can

Ive heard that it gets muddy now from all the development in the last 15 years.  When we floated it (in jon boats) it was pretty clear with cypress trees/knees.  It felt pretty remote at the time.  My great grandaddy's farm had significant Tar River access back in the day.  And if you were in Lynchburg VA, you should of PM'd me.  I could of had catching' some wild brookies in 30 minutes.

FoulHook

Quote from: Stone-Man on March 14, 2012, 15:33:37 PM
Foul Hook

If you end up in Charlotte or S.C.  you need to fish the Lansford Canal area near Rock Hill .  Running water with a shit load of long Earred Sunfish. Plus Largemouth,bluegill,catfish and it has a white bass run in the Spring. If you like the vegetation, it has a load of the most beautiful spider lillies on the planet.

JT

Thanks, I'll look into it. Just got the official acceptance letter from Clemson in the mail today.

Quote from: WRector on March 14, 2012, 11:23:52 AMClemson ain't all bad.  The Chattooga is 45 mins. away up hwy 28, and plenty of trouts.  Take a friend is you fish the gorge though, you might be surprised what you find.  Some of the tribs/feeder up and around Jocasee are full of specs as well.   

Good football and beautiful campus.  You want be disappointed if you end up in Clemson, I can tell you that.  I'd pick it over NCSU any day and my pop is a State grad.

Just my 2 cents...

As far as I can tell, NCSU's school of design and architecture is more highly regarded among employers, that's why it's the #1 choice, after that it's a crapshoot far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: rbphoto on March 14, 2012, 07:02:27 AM
Make Climpson your 2nd choice and you'll be closer than you think to some nice (trout) water.

The Chattooga is not very far away.

And the warm water abounds - the campus sits on Lake Hartwell . . .

Yeah, the lake is nice. It's just going to be weird being so far away from trout. Here I'm a short walk down the driveway  :P
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

PisgahSpeck

Quote from: Transylwader on March 14, 2012, 12:56:18 PM
Cheers gents,
@ Tomato Can, I have not, I drive over it just above Wake Forest and it appears to be a muddy mess. I just got back into town from a meeting with a client in Lynchburg, there are hundreds of good loking warm water streams in and around Caswell Co (VA) and Warren Co (NC) may head back up there later this afternoon with rod in hand!
[/quote

3.5 weeks, SR/Trifecta.  Also boat in hand on the island, just need trolling motor; head SE; the man is getting his allergy shots and will be good for the rodent.  Mid April.  All I've been doing is practicing my roll cast in the surf.

Transylwader

Quote from: PisgahSpeck on March 14, 2012, 21:37:12 PM
3.5 weeks, SR/Trifecta.  Also boat in hand on the island, just need trolling motor; head SE; the man is getting his allergy shots and will be good for the rodent.  Mid April.  All I've been doing is practicing my roll cast in the surf.
hang in there Thaddy, Im all in bru! Jenks will provide!