News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

We got a runner TR

Started by Jfey, March 12, 2012, 20:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfey

Got out on Sunday with my buddy Darrell to hit up a wild stream I haven't been on before.  The initial trail was about a mile or so in and then you picked up another trail that followed the stream for the next 5-6 miles or so.  Plenty of water and it seemed to be an easy enough trip.  Even with the time change, we got to the trailhead about 8:30.  Finished off the last of the coffee and headed up the trail. 

I was pretty excited about taking my new Lamiglass 3wt built by Shane Gray at Graywolf flyrods(thank you fashion industry).Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This was the first I have fished with a fiberglass rod.  I must say it was pretty sweet.  Especially when it did this with a 8 inch fish on the line
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Anyway, we got to the spot where the trail went right and ran into some campers who said two guys had just left camp and headed up the trail with their fly rods.  Damn, so we went left where there was no trail.  It was pretty rough working downstream and in order not to scare the fish, we had to climb way out an around the various pools and runs and work our way back up.  This usually meant climbing up the side of the mountain and working our way back down. This is about what we worked through most of the time, which wasn't all that bad.  Hit the normal tough spots where there some fallen trees,  rock faces and waterfalls.

I think we would have run into some brookies upstream, but it was all browns and rainbows downstream.  Lots of active fish and lots (for a nc stream) of mayflies and stoneflies fluttering around.   Fishing was consistent all day for normal wild stream fish, but did happen to find ole leroy hanging in the back of an eddy

When we got really far downstream,  I thought I may have hooked a brookie of a lifetime,  before I realized that  "We've got a runner"

There is some hatchery water that connects to this stream, although we were about a mile or so before it connected to it and there were several falls so this guy put some effort into making this far upstream. For that, he was picture worthy

Yup, going fishing

lostnwilderness

nice tr!  Purrty rod too!
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

sheepfly

thats an old school NC Wildlife sign.

dnakamoto

Woolly Bugger

I like the brown, that trucker brookie has some potential -- give it 6 months in the wild...

veddy nice TR...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benben reincarnated

Nice.  Wish they had some way to track those stockers because it amazes me sometimes how far they can and will travel within a watershed.

Grannyknot

Nice TR.
Just curious...what sort of reel is that?
It looks like the same one that came with my glass 3wt.

Petey...is that the same reel that came with those glass rods from TJs bear den?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

ncguy

Those lami glass blanks are great. I had one built for me and its maiden voyage was on some private water. The first fish made a run that literally torqued the rod, it never broke. Took me not putting it in a tube and a little help from my wife to break that rod!

Transylwader

Nooice Jeff, thats a great looking glass rod. Pellet head brookies are bailing the DH section on streams coz the bait chunkers are after them :o

bullship

Nice. I think I'm going to build a 3wt with one of those blanks. Been back and forth, but it sure is pretty.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

OldDominionAngler

That's a sweet lookin' stick, I wish I'd chosen a down-locking seat for mine b';.

Nice troot too.

Jfey

Yep, that's the reel from TJ's Bearsden that comes with the 7 piece.  It balanced quite well with the Lamiglass.  The rod itself was super slow and it took a while to get used to, but once you get in the groove, its a blast to fish.  That bown ran me all over the place, but it still had enough back bone to get him to hand.  Its not a big river stick, but pretty nice for small stream fishin.

I was thinkin the same on the pellet heads, although I might head back to that spot in about a year and see what how they look after some extra time in the "the wild"  If they are able to elude the dinner plate, I would imagine he would be much skinnier.
Yup, going fishing