another truckin' report...

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 02, 2012, 22:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Family obligations prevented me from fishing yesterday, although I did get to the river 30 minutes prior to the start of the TU meeting. That was fun, saw some old friends and tied up a few flies.

Today after having a cup of Krankies coffee and finishing up the weeks billings, I rounded up the Sally god and headed to the nearest place where she could get out and I could fish. It's about 30 minutes closer than wild trout waters, and I really didn't expect a crowd. When we arrived at the river cars were lined up and down the entire stretch and the official parking lots were overflowing.

On thing I noticed was there had been a tremendous amount of stream restoration and bank stabilization work done. I hadn't been to this river in several years and was totally unaware of this project. We walked on down a ways and found a spot to jump in. The fish couldn't get enough of my 20" stonefly with a aftershaft caddis. It all too easy, but somehow fun in a perverse way. Sally showed her disdain for the truckers and turned away with disgust.

The rain came with an out of the blue lighting strike. That sent about 50 percent of the anglers seeking shelter. We fished on for a couple of hours before pulling the plug.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sally could care less.

they sloped and stabilize teh banks for a mile or so..

I call it The Ditch!

This Chupacabra was laying in about two feet of water in the tail of a pool.
I don't have a clue what it really is, small god, monkey, or a real Chupacabra?

Did you say shrubberies?

Sputnik? What's up with that?

Hot Spottin'

Damn Dam

apologies for teh truckin report.

[attach=1]

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Jfey

Heard there was some work being done on that stream, glad to see the mother truckers are doing well -0-
Yup, going fishing

bullship

That's certainly better than nothing! I need to get out. 
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

benben reincarnated

Good to see it held fish through the winter.  Some of those streams aren't so fortunate.   ::)

benflyfishn

good truckn. better than nothing... Need to take my girls up there to harass the newbies at the ditch
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

Transylwader

So NCWRC stocked the DH's this past Friday I take it? Shoulda fished in Stone Mountain with the knuckleheads who live along Grisseltail Rd. I saw my fare share of asshat bait chunkers in VA this past weekend

Holmes

Pelletheads and thingamabobbers... keepin it real ;D

Woolly Bugger

wifey was in a mood this morning, and although I hadn't planned on fishing, that turned out to be the best option, so I packed up the car and called Sally to come along. Since it was already close to noon, I decided to hit the closest stream, a short 45 minute drive away. I was fully expecting the place to be packed but was surprised to see about a third of the numbers that were present on Friday. The green flashy woolly bugger spoke to me and I tied it on to the well used leader, must be close to 2x now. Started swinging and catching. Moved up and down the river, hitting likely runs and tailouts. I'm really puzzled as to why Sally doesn't bother with the horses and cows. She would go gonzo nuts if there was another dog and run off to do the meet and great. If it was a  deer the chase would be on too. But she paid not one lick of attention to the horses that were feeding in the field next to the parking spots at the end of the road.

Anyway I caught a good number of fish at just about every place we stopped. I must admit that it was stupid fun and Sally and I had a great afternoon out despite the killer wind. It was full winter gear, hat jacket, and wishing for gloves. There were a bunch of noobs on the river. No mending, floating a bugger through a run with a bobber and then stripping it back in. Mercedes with wader and boot boxes in the back seat. I spoke to a number of the fishermen, some had caught one or two, some none and a few had caught "several".  One guy flailed away in the same spot all afternoon while his women watch from the bank next to the parked car. I asked if she was spotting fish for him, it's nice to have a fish spotter.

blah, blah, blah, here's some pics.....

and STFU tranny!

Sally don't care

Let's go that way...

oh great, another fish...

bait on a DH stream, I dumped the wigglers, and packed out the container

once again apologies for the truckers
[attach=1]

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

The Dude

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 04, 2012, 23:13:09 PM

wifey was in a mood this morning

And here I thought you were going to say you had to have sex with her before you were allowed to go out fishing all day.................
I guess that's the difference between being in a mood and being in the mood........or maybe it is the difference between 35 yrs old and 55 yrs old.   8)

Also, I really liked this photo.

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

gamatt53

Nice I may take my roomate up there soon to educate them stockers. Tryin to learn him in the ways of the long rod and he aint ready for the tailwater yet.

Woolly Bugger

What a match up for the final of the ACC, FSU against Carolina! I'm just glad it didn't go into overtime,  that would have spoiled the whole afternoon. I packed up Sally and headed to the river.

I suited up in my waders, then walked to the stream to stick two bottles of beer in the river to cool down. As I walked up the bank, I looked up and saw a wildlife officer, "Did you just put those bottles in the river?" "Yes, sir", I replied. "Were they open?" "No, sir." "Okay, we don't want any littering", he stated. "No, sir, in fact I usually pick up some of the trash that I see." "Well, don't drink too many, and good luck fishing."

Sally was ready, and we walked up the road, hitting pools and runs along the way. Fishing was okay, caught the usual suspects as Sally watched from the bank.

After that Smith River brown on Friday, I couldn't bring myself to take any trucker pics... enjoy the rest of the afternoon.

Good day out with the dog! Cheers.

me -There's a season?

FoulHook

Dang Woolly, that looks like a lot of fun fishing with the dog. I'm jealous each time you and others (The Dude) post pics of your dogs out with you. I miss my old dog, even though he wasn't a fishing dog, and can't wait until I am able to get a new dog. Keep the K9 reports coming.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Rhody

damn trout lillies already bloomin :o

fished in the boat until 0 dark thirty yesterday in a tshirt
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Rhody on March 12, 2012, 10:03:01 AM
damn trout lillies already bloomin :o

fished in the boat until 0 dark thirty yesterday in a tshirt

I saw bent's blog, ya'll had a good day on the catawba!

I'd like to float that river...
me -There's a season?

OldDominionAngler

That dog has it good!  Nice report Woolly, I too dig the Session black lager.