News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Spring into action

Started by Transylwader, March 04, 2012, 17:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transylwader

Played a bit of hooky on Friday, headed straight through a narrow seam between serious weather systems and made it to Harrisonburg by 2PM.

Made it to the state line, closely followed by the darkest clouds I have ever seen.

Before that happened, I had to wait for a train to switch tracks, back up and switch again, funny grafitti on the oil tanker...BRA making fun of Saffas?

As soon as I got in my waders, the sky opened. I was on a feeder of a feeder and luckily with enough gradient, not too much water washed down into it to dirty it up. The streams inhabitants seemed to have locked down their hatch and sulk under a big ass rock. Couldn't buy a fish for the first 30 minutes. Decided that I would use a fly more or less the same size as them. It was as if someone flipped the switch.

1st blueline brookie of 2012

Quick succession...

Last fish of the day was a lil hoss!

2 miles down, the trail out was in it's own right a feeder, shoulda fished it.

classy tags
Yesterday, I met up with Petey and Big J to head for a stream in unchartered country

A solid foot long brook :o. It still hasn't sunken in that I caught my chunkiest brookie yesterday 8)

Petey and J moved in quickly after I landed that brookie hoping to catch the "boss man" of the pool. No 13"er in there...

Mothernature provided a reprieve from the gloomy windy conditions and it warmed up to a balmy 63F.

Spring sure feels like it's here.

A coloured up dude.

Reached a point on the creek when it went from a steep creek to vertical. Time to check the GPS to see what lays above. Not promising, picked a drainage ditch contour and GTFO dodge

Steep!

A big tree gets a big hug

Man, thats a big ass tree.

On the way back to H-Burg, we drove past a stocked stream. I guess the VDGIF musta just stocked it coz ever bait chunker was frantically lobbing their spin rods into the pools along the road. Petey and J wanted to join in on the fun...

I don't do stockers (no trout stamp either) so I watched the mess from the bank. This dude asked me if I wanted a 15" brown he had caught yesterday morning and had it on ice in his cooler. I declined. He went onto say he had gone to Pilgrims and cleaned house and had a freezer full and didn't need that 15"er anymore.  p;-
What a fuck chop. And thats why I hate those fuckers who chase the stocker trucks, they are assholes with no brains and no heart who ruin everything for everyone. Enough of that.

Dinner in H-Burg.

Will be back here shortly

Welcome home and hello Spring  -0-

Holmes

Oh hell yeah.. that feesh was beastly.

'c;

FoulHook

Nice hoss ya got there. What's that new purse you're carrying?

Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Holmes

Scenery from thursdays bushwhack into dink creek. You are right tranny, that place won't deliver up beasts anytime soon. Not worth the bushwhack straight down from the overlook...

Some feesh from there

Pics from saturdays trip:
BigJ working some nice pocket water

Tranny and BigJ taking on the steep section:

Some feesh from the trickle

Transylwader

Quote from: FoulHook on March 04, 2012, 17:25:14 PM
What's that new purse you're carrying?
Simms bum bag. I don't do chest packs anymore. They don't look cool :-*
Petey, I see you went a ways up on that brutal creek.

Holmes

Quote from: Transylwader on March 04, 2012, 17:51:10 PM
Quote from: FoulHook on March 04, 2012, 17:25:14 PM
What's that new purse you're carrying?
Simms bum bag. I don't do chest packs anymore. They don't look cool :-*
Petey, I see you went a ways up on that brutal creek.

Brutal is an understatement. Just grateful that I survived the 0.3 mile hike.  :laugh:

natureboy

Big J

Dang that brookie is a beast.  Someone should of seen my eyes pop out when I saw that brookie break the water!  :o

OldDominionAngler

Nice work fellas. And Tranny, that's a stellar fish   'c;  I was down that way yesterday with the pup, hoping to get a TR up tonight. 

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benben reincarnated

Damn Tranny, epic.  That is some nice looking water too, me like.

bd;0

Jfey

Yup, going fishing

blue ridge angler

Hell yes dudes..That's some good shit.. 0:0

Holmes

Looks like the streams and "browns" way down south are really high borderline unfishable. All the snow won't help. Guess i'll just stay up here and catch brookies the rest of the week. Hope they get onto dries real soon. Dredging sucks...

_Fish_Pimp

Quote from: Petey on March 05, 2012, 10:08:34 AM
Looks like the streams and "browns" way down south are really high borderline unfishable. All the snow won't help. Guess i'll just stay up here and catch brookies the rest of the week. Hope they get onto dries real soon. Dredging sucks...
I fished a little brookie stream near boone this past thursday and didn't have to dredge at all. they were eating wulffs and big bushy adams wulffs for the whole 2 hours we were there. I caught 8 or 9 and my roomate that had never fished before caught 3 nice brookies on dries...I had to show em how to set the hook! and of course I gave em the big holes and I fished every little pocket. stormin mormon went too caught about 8. no camera though...mines busted..dropped it too many times.  b';     I guess you just have to catch the weather right, hatches of stones and some quill G's have been coming off on every creek I've been on for the past 4 weeks on warm days. I caught one that was almost white..kind of an ivory color, it was laying on a light rock bottom..it was about 8 inches, it busted a size 16 royal wulff, wish I had my camera. It was the weirdest brookie I've seen. 8) Last thurs was my first day going for brooks this year, and they're finally starting to look up, around boone at least...noone likes to dredge!! I need to find those big brookies like tranny is catching  :o