News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Boone Crick

Started by _Fish_Pimp, February 27, 2012, 13:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Fish_Pimp

Today in my Geology lab we sampled Boone Creek/Kraut creek that runs through appstate's campus and sampled it to see if it was possible for trout to inhabit the creek because an organization (SNAG) has petitioned to stock it with trout...I've never seen any trout in there (only big suckers), but my prof said there used to be before the idiots that run the school cut down all of the trees around it about 10 years ago and changed the entire stream layout to look nice. All of the info we collected like D.O. temps, total dissolved solids and pH conclude that trout can survive there. I was wondering if any of you guys have fished it or heard of anyone fishing it and how they did. I'm probably gonna give it a go this spring and look like an idiot out there.  d:b Some of the pools actually look pretty good, if there was just some cover on the bank. There was a post on sefff about hodges creek that runs into winklers having a fishkill and there were some pretty nice sized browns in there (that were dead of course) and both creeks look alike (no cover) and run into the same stream. I wasn't sure where to post this so I went with the anything and everything section cause its not really a fishing report...its more of a fish/water quality report and fishing question.  ;D So what do you guys think? To fish or not to fish?   :-\   
heres a link to some pics of before the resoration and after http://www.bfec.org/projects/asuchamber-kraut-creek-enhancement/

FoulHook

They were working on the restoration of the creek while I was there. If I understand correctly, the reasoning behind the small waterfalls/drops is to help get more oxygen in the water for purpose of trout, and I believe that is what their intent was in putting those drops in there along Rivers Street across from the parking deck. I wouldn't fish it though, it will take some time for it to repopulate, and they were still working on it last year, but I think finished the restoration, or at least came close.

I had classes in Katherine Harper Hall across from the steam plant and after some crazy rains last year the holding pond (don't know if it's still there or not) over flowed, and Kraut Creek ran over its banks and overtook Rivers Street in a raging torrent. I had the lucky window seat 3 floors up and watched the show while working on my senior projects. Wild stuff.

Winkler's Creek; no comment. Go and find out for yourself.  ;D
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Phil

15 years ago I caught some big browns in that creek. It was, however, kind of weird having to pull plastic grocery bags and Mcdonald's wrappers off my hook every third or fourth cast.  :o

_Fish_Pimp

The "restoration" killed all of the plant life in the stream and hurt the amount of aquatic insects in the stream, in my Bio lab last year we sampled mayflies etc outta there or at least tried to...we found one or two in a pretty large section of river. Taking away all of the cover around the river did most of the damage to the trouts environment, the sun just heats it up so much during the summer...and predators (birds) can get to them alot easier.
I've known about stinklers for a while  :laugh: 
Phil- are you talking about kraut/boone creek with big browns? surely not... nothing over a 6 inches will fit in there  :;! ...trout I mean  ;D

Grannyknot

When I lived in town, a few of us would fish near the park on state farm rd, but I always just thought the creek that ran through campus was nothing more than a trickle, especially during the drier months.  I was very surprised at what they found had been living in hodges creek.  Guess it just goes to show that you never know until you give it a try.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

FoulHook

Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on February 27, 2012, 20:25:10 PM
I've known about stinklers for a while  :laugh: 

Then why did you ask about it? ???

_Fish_Pimp

ummmm....I didnt? Winklers wasn't in question at all, only boone/kraut creek. I said that boone creek and hodges are both tributaries to winklers. please show me where I ever asked anything about winklers. You should read thoroughly before you try to call someone out on something ::)  jis sayyinn

FoulHook

Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on February 28, 2012, 00:03:31 AM
ummmm....I didnt? Winklers wasn't in question at all, only boone/kraut creek. I said that boone creek and hodges are both tributaries to winklers. please show me where I ever asked anything about winklers. You should read thoroughly before you try to call someone out on something ::)  jis sayyinn

No need to bow up and get all defensive kid. The recent noobs have been that way. I remember a time when they got "called out". Guess the veterans around here are just getting soft, or just don't care anymore (where are you Phil?)

_Fish_Pimp

I guess the vets need to actually read posts....scanning isn't a good thing. You were just trying to be clever and "catch" something (that wasn't said  :o)  I don't exactly care...I just think that a post should be read before its commented on. Can we get back to what was actually posted?  bd;0

Stormin_Mormon_92

Fish pimp do you even know how to fly fish cause im pretty sure i see you casting those 6 inch poppers from a daiwa all the time in stinklers  ;;-.
Plus dont call out people because they cant read you know that we sure as hell dont know anything about education from appalachian state university and we have been called our fair share of idiots  -0-. cant wait to get out and net your "trout" this spring when your fishing the boon shitter and fighting off yankee hipsters about protecting the lay of the land  <-;:
Rock on brotha, lets have a hell of a season  0:0
Tight Lines, Drunken legs

_Fish_Pimp

Oh and why did you call me a kid? You're only three years older than I am....and I'm not technically a "noob" on this forum....it says madtom now  -0-

kylemc

Phil

<Phil- are you talking about kraut/boone creek with big browns? surely not... nothing over a 6 inches will fit in there  :;! ...trout I mean  ;D>

Listen to me, you young pup. 25 years ago (before you were a glimmer in you Dad's eye) , Kraut creek still held brown trout in the larger dirty pools. I fished it it once or twice on a dare.
You don't know what you are talking about. Don't try to call me out. I've been fishing the mountains before your father was born, probably.  :;!

ncguy