Advanced Fly Fish Clinic @ NCWRC Pechmann Center 2-18-12

Started by Al, February 19, 2012, 07:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Wheeeoow, I am beat. We had a great day at the Advanced Fly Fishing Clinic hosted by the NCWRC but the sun and all that running around to make sure things are going smoothly has a way of draining your energy. I expect the 40 odd folks who came as participants are feeling a little "bushed" as well.  A glass of wine, clean up a bit and I am feeling pretty smug about what a good thing our cadre of volunteers do in the way of spreading the joys of fly fishing. Most of our participants today were already "bitten by the fly fishing bug" but the little tricks we showed them helped further their journey. Lots of smiles and "thank you's" today which is what our volunteers work for.

As with most clinics we started off with a welcome and overview of how the day would unfold. We then break them out into small groups and start them through self paced specialty stations which teach:
Advanced knot tying
Intro to Saltwater Fly Fishing
Fly Tying
Set up's for pan fishing
Advanced casting
Set up's for trout and salmon fishing (new this year)

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Our team of volunteer knot experts have mastered a total of seventeen knots. Admittedly many are only tied one or twice a season but they can tie them and more importantly know how to show others where to find help when tying those complicated knots.

Jeanette, our resident World Record Book saltwater fly fishing expert does an excellent job explaining how to get into coastal and blue water fly fishing.

Everyone has a farm pond or warm water reservoir in their back yard. Our bream and bass experts demonstrate the flies and set up's which consistently put a bend in your fly rod.

Lot's of interest in fly tying today. We are blessed to have Anthony Hipps and Paul Gruver, both regionally known tyers as part of our volunteer staff.

Most of our participants were proficient with basic casting techniques so we worked on obtaining a little more distance. We also showed them how to work a current by mending the line, and throwing slack in the line by using the reach, steeple and puddle casts - That water wheel sets up a very realistic flow of water.

But what about the fishing?  Well the fishing was pretty good. This fellow had a nice one and was trying to corral it for the "hero shot" but as you can see the fish did not want to cooperate.

OK, here ya go. Lots of nice trout caught today.

The trout are the stars of the show during the winter months but the catfish give the biggest pull for the money. Relatively easy to fool with a fly rod.

We had a pretty good day sharing our passion for fly fishing with others. We hope some of them are bitten by the bug and are now leafing through fly fishing catalogs or Googling fly fishing sites on the internet to learn more.

Our clinics for the general public for 2012 are now behind us. We are going to change formats and help several troops of  Boy Scouts qualify for their fly fishing merit badge on Mar 10th and Mar 24th. All dates are on a Saturday with a start time of 9:00am and end time of 3:30pm.

This might be a good time for us to sing some praise for our roster of volunteers. The Pechmann Center has a total of two full time employees and two seasonal employees. Without the assistance of a very dedicated cadre of volunteers events such as our fly fishing clinics would not be possible.  I'm one of those volunteers and feel very fortunate to have assembled such a group. These folks have a passion for the sport and give generously of their time to share their knowledge with others. They let me think I'm in charge but I am smart enough to know that without their help I am nothing. Thanks guys & Jeanette - I'm sure I speak for Kris and all the folks at NCWRC headquarters when I say we really appreciate all you do to keep these programs going.

The NCWRC Pechmann Fishing Education Center also  hosts Wounded Warriors, NC Handicapped Sportsmen and any military and their families on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 1-5pm - (That's March 14th next month).  We offer fly tying and basic fly fishing instruction. The catfish ponds are also open for bait fishing. At least half of the afternoon will be spent fishing.