Backpacking trip suggestions for WNC, western VA, etc

Started by bandit350, February 14, 2012, 00:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit350

Before I get called out for asking about specific streams, hear me out.

I was just put in charge of planning a 3 night trip in April.  Normally we hit up the Smokies but my buddies want to do something different.  I am open to ideas for western VA as well as WNC (friends coming from OH).  Ideally we're looking to hike in up to 5 miles, possibly at least 2 different campsites.  We're all experienced backpackers.  Probably looking to avoid the AT.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to PM or post here if abiding by the guidelines.  Mainly looking for ideas especially if you've done similar trips.

Just to switch things up, I recommend taking a few minutes to mess around w/ the various Action Figure Therapy videos.  Hopefully you'll enjoy them enough to kindly give some advice.  Maybe my attempt at embedding them will work.

Mustache Millionaire

Cougars

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benben reincarnated

I sent you a PM.

X2 on Wooly's suggestion for the Art Loeb...did a lot of hiking on it when I only hiked, now I only fish, and hiking is just a requirement.

Transylwader

Quote from: bandit350 on February 14, 2012, 00:01:11 AM
Ideally we're looking to hike in up to 5 miles, possibly at least 2 different campsites.
You're in luck. There is nowhere in NC that is further than 5 miles from a trail, dirt road or highway, so this place may very well be your oyster. As far as getting off the beaten track? I can suggest looking to the Cherokee Nat Forest around TN/WNC border. Pisgah is nice and all but doesn't offer solitude. Look up wilderness areas and you'll be golden. I don't give out stream names anymore coz I am a believer that the biggest reward is finding a place after busting your ass to find it's a genuine gold mine (honey hole) Skip the following counties coz they genuinely suck:
Wilkes
Allegheny
Surry (Sorry)
Rutherford
Caldwell (too many fuck chops)
Burke
Ashe
Watauga
Avery
Mitchell
McDowell
Yancey
Buncombe (butt fuck)
Madison
Haywood
Jackson
Transylvania (saffa capital)
Macon
Polk
Henderson
Cherokee
Swain
Clay
Graham

Sections of the Blueridge parkway may be shut down in April so be sure to call em ahead of time
(828)298-0398 Press1 then 3

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Transylwader on February 14, 2012, 14:18:25 PM
Quote from: bandit350 on February 14, 2012, 00:01:11 AM
Ideally we're looking to hike in up to 5 miles, possibly at least 2 different campsites.
...Skip the following counties coz they genuinely suck:
Wilkes
Allegheny
Surry (Sorry)
Rutherford
Caldwell (too many fuck chops)
Burke
Ashe
Watauga
Avery
Mitchell
McDowell
Yancey
Buncombe (butt fuck)
Madison
Haywood
Jackson
Transylvania (saffa capital)
Macon
Polk
Henderson
Cherokee
Swain
Clay
Graham

Sections of the Blueridge parkway may be shut down in April so be sure to call em ahead of time
(828)298-0398 Press1 then 3

Nice list Mike...maybe he should just hit the MTS after it gets in the flatlands...I hear ya' can hike for days on that.    :o

and p.s.  don't hate on Buncombe County

bandit350

thanks for the heads up.  i took my wife to the art loeb trail when we first moved here but never fished the area.  will definitely check out more info as well as the mp wilderness.

big fan of wilderness areas (wind river, sawtooth).  don't get me wrong, i definitely appreciate the sanitized boulder fields and well signed trails of national and state parks.  sometimes it's nicer to get away from the fat tourists and the fat squirrels they feed.

FoulHook

Quote from: bandit350 on February 14, 2012, 21:53:13 PM
thanks for the heads up.  i took my wife to shining rock when we first moved here but never fished the area.  will definitely check out more info as well as the middle prong.

big fan of wilderness areas (wind river, sawtooth).  don't get me wrong, i definitely appreciate the sanitized boulder fields and well signed trails of national and state parks.  sometimes it's nicer to get away from the fat tourists and the fat squirrels they feed.

There's no fish in Shining Rock. Instead point your compass to Basin Creek a few counties North and East.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

robspe7370

Considering where you are all coming from, I am surprised you havent considered eastern WV. Pocahontas County is an exceptional destination for fishing.
I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a good time.

Aka

Good god man how did you rack up that smite count???   :o

Gateway_Angling
Horney Head

[like] [smite]

'c; 'c; 'c;

Transylwader

Quote from: Gateway_Angling on February 15, 2012, 17:45:20 PM
I will blame the bulk of it on a couple of toolbags with nothing better to do other than to troll message boards. Maybe it is because I recommended fishing in WV.I hear McDowell county has some good fishing holes too.  :laugh: :-*
yawn b';

Holmes

Quote from: Gateway_Angling on February 15, 2012, 17:45:20 PM
I will blame the bulk of it on a couple of toolbags with nothing better to do other than to troll message boards. Maybe it is because I recommended fishing in WV.I hear McDowell county has some good fishing holes too.  :laugh: :-*

Well statistically it would take more than "just a few toolbags" to make that happen. Have you ever considered quite a few people hate a fuckin' Judas? Jes sayin...
If you wanna know where shit went south. I considered you a friend and then found out that you were talking shit about me behind my back. I never did a damn thing to you. I don't go out looking for shit... However, if people attack me or speak ill of me for no apparent reason, then yeah.. I'm gonna do something.

You thought I was insulting your guide service when I said that "maybe I should get a job guiding in the SNP". I was reffering to having so many people PM me about wanting to fish with me. I was not making a jab at you.

I have 18 credits on my plate this semester, so yeah I may have time now and then. But you better believe I don't have time to troll message boards all day.

"N3WB"

Stuart R.

I have always wanted to hit Poca. Co. WV. I have heard lots of good stuff. I used to work in McDowell Co. just avoid that one. Nothing there that I have ever heard of. Well maybe some stockers.
Stu
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Stuart R.

Speaking of smites, looks like I am still a heavy hitter in comparison. Dang, seems like I gotten more recently. Just can't remember for sure what I had!
Stu
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Get Bent

Since people are mentioning Pocahontas County, WV. The Cranberry is a good place to look. You can bike or hike.. Parts of the river is regulated under C and R. Its no secret, just google it.
Konichiwa Bitches!