News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

McSkunkin round dos

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 29, 2012, 17:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I got a PM from the phlyfisher dude, an invite to fish his streamer water. Started off around 9, knowing it would be a short day as we both had commitments for the afternoon.  Frost was on the ground but the bright sun promised warmth and challenging fishing. We pounded the banks, left and right and covered a good section of the river. Deep cut banks and sandy riverbed make this a foreign environment to me. We were wading thigh and waste deep with the occasional pool that required a bank scramble to get back to wadable water. Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much of a streamer fisherman but McLovlin had it down pat, I managed to lose a few flies in the bank cover, and I got some good cast in, but I might do better if I was casting some High Modulus Boron Graphite, but I hear that spendy shit breaks easily when fighting big fish.  The phl covered a good bit of water, where I tend to stay put and figure it out, the phl was moving on. We moved a few fish, saw some flash and had a bump or two. At the last pool I was stripping in, felt a bump, heart raced, phl looked over at the bent rod, I had set the hook on a submerged limb.

Skunked we moved on up to a more classic trout section, only to be denied there also. Started to take some photos, camera flashed "Battery Empty" so I didn't even get any shots. 

It was good to get out and see some new water with some potential. To quote Arnold, "I'll be back"!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ajhock

pn?
Oh, a skunk.
No hippie beer?
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

dossphoto

Stick one fish down there and you'll forget about all the fish in the old special regs.
Tie you up a couple hundred mudbugs and get ready to loose about half of them!  If your not loosing flies, you're not fishing in the right spot. 
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

22midge

Hey doss I thought I was the only one fishing them pincher nymphs.

never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Woolly Bugger

restocked the fly box with some store bought...

[attach=1]

if I keep this up I'm going to have to learn to tie up some meaty flies...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phlyfisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 30, 2012, 20:10:54 PM

restocked the fly box with some store bought...

[attach=1]

if I keep this up I'm going to have to learn to tie up some meaty flies...

id hit that..... those look like they might convince them brownies to come out and play  -0- esp that whistle
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

dossphoto

Now your cooking with gravy!  Iffin there were only some fish around here to eat those!

22midge...got a few of those as well!! I just got to make time to send them for a swim!

Dougfish

AL trout bum

Hey at least you got out.  'c;  I am hitting the water this weekend, somewhere. I need to wet a line. Streamer fishing is very new to me. I have fished the crawdad flies for smallmouth, but I am guessing they work well on trout too?
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Holmes

Although next time I hope someone gives big bad leroy brown a stingin'. I personally hate fishing water like that myself but if there's big fish there, then why not..

phlyfisher

[attach=1]

its not the most scenic water, but there be some big ole leroys down there....
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

22midge

some of them get fat eating some meat............

never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

dossphoto

Dang Peewee,

When did you fish the Dan down there above Danville?

Didn't even call!

phlyfisher

pretty sure i know that fish in the last photo

but hot dayum those are some big troots  'c;

live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

croaker

A McSkunked day a fishin' beats the hell out of a day at McWork!   'c;
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.