News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Special, but not precious

Started by Dougfish, January 27, 2012, 00:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

My first TR. Don't dog me too hard. ;D
A little work, a little play today. I decided to check out the year old Upper South River Special regulation area while working in the Waynesboro, VA area.

Giddyup. My "work" car. The fastest car to the stream and my new Hydros and Allen Reel. Happy Birthday to me! -0- -0-
They are stocking 7-9" Browns and Bows in the 4.5 mile section. Single hook, no bait, 2 fish 16"  limit. Lets hit the water!

The local TU and landowners worked hard to pull this off.

It's a low gradient stream with mostly soil banks and a mix of solid stone, freestone and sediment bottom. Not easy to wade in the slow stretches with the soft sediment and quick drop offs. Almost went swimming a few times when my feet slipped or just won't move. Some parts wooded, some along fields.

Yeah, you can find some big wood too.

A small BWO hatch was coming off and I quickly scored a few Browns.
Then the wind picked up, the rises went away and the prospecting began.

Worked some of the deep slow runs with a Golden Retriever and hooked up with a couple, missed on a couple.
Nothing worked consistently. One of my foam ants even drew one up. I'm hard headed like that...terrestrials always work. Oooo, look at the pretty fungi since the fish pic sucked.

The real secret of this water is the abundance of limestone springs at the top of the stretch. I'll try to post a video in a comment below if I can....the water was bobbling up through the sand. Very cool.

There was a dome of spring water billowing up in the main stream just up ahead. Wild!

I drove down to a lower section that was faster and more wooded. I was good to walk on mostly stone! Since the caddis population is big here, that's what I threw them. Bang!

They took the dry, they took the dropper emerger.

This guy stayed by my boot for a few minutes after the release.

A bonus was finding a nice new fly shop in town. Well stocked and friendly. You can pick up your free permit there.

It's not a blueline, not the Smith or Jackson, but it's different and the trouts should grow fast. Depending on the rain, I might hit another "Special" spot tomorrow.

Dougfish

Well I suck getting the pics up. Picasa is not working out for me. b';

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on January 27, 2012, 02:02:19 AM
Well I suck getting the pics up. Picasa is not working out for me. b';

you need to fine the image url...

I fixed the first pic for you..

I right clicked on the photo in your picasa album and copied the photo url it looks like this..

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5T5o5fxWp3g/TyJGhZXpf2I/AAAAAAAAAJk/AKT1pGt4oXA/s800/007.jpg

when you view your photos in picase album you will see on the left "LINK TO THIS PHOTO"  a click of that will reveal the url to the photo. just copy and paste that....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Fixed. Thanks, Wooly. Overthinkin', overdrinkin'?

benben reincarnated

Nice first report, welcome aboard.

Dougfish

Woolly Bugger

neat little spring creek, I would fish that, if I was close buy, bet it will be awesome during a hatch...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Holmes

I've been debating whether or not to fish that. May have to try it one day. Not bad at all.

Dougfish

Quote from: Petey on January 27, 2012, 08:38:08 AM
I've been debating whether or not to fish that. May have to try it one day. Not bad at all.

I'd like to see you and others give a whirl. They'll be some big, bad Mr. Browns soon.

Dougfish

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 27, 2012, 08:20:33 AM
neat little spring creek, I would fish that, if I was close buy, bet it will be awesome during a hatch...

I think it could have some epic hatches The BWo's were coming off good for a while and it's reported to have a huge caddis population.

Stuart R.

Good looking creek. Glad to see you had a good day.
stu
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

5xTippett

Holmes

I'll give er a go one day then.. It'll be hard though with all the stogger browns in mossy right down the road though.

Dougfish

Quote from: Petey on January 27, 2012, 17:13:05 PM
I'll give er a go one day then.. It'll be hard though with all the stogger browns in mossy right down the road though.

I rode by there today. A customer's dad owns a big hunk of the private stretch. I saw them stock it one day for the club. Oh, the left nut I would give to fish it.  :o

tomato can

Nice report I have never seen spring bubble up like that. Pretty cool stuff.