15 hrs, no fish, well I'd do it again anytime....

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 23, 2012, 10:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

My daughter and her friend were planning to goto a Habitat for Humanity teen dance/fundraser at the Y on Saturday, so I canned my plans to go to the Davidson and try to fish on Sunday, but the TVA put the brakes on that deal until late Saturday when Rhody gave me a call. The float option opened up a fishing opportunity. At the same time Cmiller was itching to get some time out. After about a half a dozen phone calls everything was set for a SoHo float.

Picked up the teens, ordered pizza, stayed up way too late...

After a couple of hours sleep the alarm went off and I drug my ass out of bed for the 3 hour drive over the hump. Bad fog going up Fancy Gap slowed things down a bit, don't care for driving in the fog in the dark.
Plan was to foat and then go back up top with the hopes of some dry fly action. Chuck got the front seat, Rhody promoted him to General, I set up in the rear, and we began the trip with some nymphing  before switching to streamers. No mojo today, musta caught a Tranny skunkiness, had a number of follows but I didn't catch any despite the effort. I ended the float on the sticks and both Rhody and Cmiller caught some  browns.

By the time we got back up top the alarms for the 5 o'clock generation were sounding, we gave it a quick shot but no love from those trout either.

Despite my skunk, it was a grand day to be on the water, drinking some high dollar Scotch, beer and eating some special smoked deer for lunch! I must be living right, two trips in a row with some special food, great company and all.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Tennessee sunrise

as they say in ETN, FAY!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

cmiller51h

Damn... what a great day on the water!  Great food, great company and fishing! What more could you want? The weather cooperated but the fish didn't. We boated a few but we'll do better next time! Thanks for the invite Rhody! I even enjoyed rowing!
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

Transylwader

After taking 4 skunkings so far this year, I figured it really isn't about the catching when in good company. Good to hear you back Chuck!

troutphisher

High dollar scotch, friends, food and water....nuff said..... 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c;

Shit I wish I was with ya............ b';
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

AL trout bum

Nice! Now tell me more about what's on this smoked deer taco, please?   ;D
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

cmiller51h

Quote from: AL trout bum on January 23, 2012, 23:34:51 PM
Nice! Now tell me more about what's on this smoked deer taco, please?   ;D

IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!! Nice tender smoked venision, with some horseradish mustard and some salsa with just enough bite to make you know it was there! Top that off with a homebrewed beer.....mmmmmmm! Beat the hell outta a ham Sammy and a coke! Rhody knows how to feed! And Transy, the company was much better than the catching!  After almost a year and a half it was great to get out on the water, and greater still to get out on a boat! I've got to get another one I guess! The ol'lady ain't gunna like it, but it won't be the first time I've done that she did'nt like! She'll get over it...eventually.  Thanks again for the invite and a great time . We'll have to do it again when the fish are more cooperative.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

benben reincarnated

Rhody

Great day gents, makes me remember why we get up at 0 dark thirty, creep over the mountain in wicked fog and enjoy the hell outa only puttin 2 fish in the boat all day. You fellas have a seat in my boat anytime, Hell, I fished more than I rowed, and while I rowed Woolly kept me fortified! Thanks for the fantastic 1x Woolly, Chuck great to meet you-we will get out again before you leave, guaranteed-need to get you tuned up for that new boat when you get back. Hope to find a few more fish than this trip.

The salsa was a great Christmas present from Susan and Kenny at One Fly Outfitters in Black Mountain-Abby J's "Farm to Table" Bean & Jalapeno Salsa that was topping some fresh venison that Get Bent brought back from an AL hunt last week.

Kinda makes all of my fishing time come together with days on the water like this-it put some good mojo on the boat for future trips.
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Holmes