News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fly reels

Started by Scarecrow, January 20, 2012, 15:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarecrow

I am thinking of getting a new reel. I am new to fly fishing and don't know exactly know what I want. I would like to have a large arbor 5x. I am trying to stay under 100$. Any suggestions. Also where's a good place to buy fly tackle.

Aka

Quote from: dossphoto on January 20, 2012, 17:40:34 PM
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/

I have a friend that swears by Allen reels, I've never fished them but was thinking either them or ebay. You might have a problem getting a large arbor reel @ $100 that is decent.I have an old click and pawl Shakespeare 1094 on my 6wt that I use for streamers. You can get one of those for around $12 on ebay.

dossphoto

I picked up one of the alpha reels last year and absolutely love it.  Their hooks are decent as well.

Scarecrow

Thanks for the info. I had not heard of Allen. I researched the reels liked what I saw and ordered the alpha 5/6.

Scarecrow

Allen shipped me a black reel after I ordered the gunmetal one. Going to have to ship it back and try again. I hate waiting for stuff in the mail.

Scarecrow

I finlly told the guys at Allen to just forget it. Went to Roanoke today an bit the bullet. I bought a Orvis Access.