News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Boots built for distance

Started by Transylwader, January 18, 2012, 15:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What boots are highly durable for distance and punishment in the creek?

Simms (incl model type please)
6 (42.9%)
Chota (incl model type please)
2 (14.3%)
Corkers (incl model type please)
1 (7.1%)
Orvis (incl model type please)
3 (21.4%)
Patagonia (incl model type please)
0 (0%)
Other (please mention brand name/model type)
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 17, 2012, 15:26:41 PM

The Dude

I'm still trying to figure out what a bluelining gyro is.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

troutboy_II

I too am not hiking great distances any more, but I'm surprised that the Chota STL's are not better represented.  I have felt version and have had very good experience with them - hold up well, fairly light in weight, grip well except in tailwaters (but I understand the cleated version does as well as possible there), and best of all in my estimation, they flex.  By that I mean the sole flex's, has some give and allows for you to feel the bottom.  Much better than the old, piece of board on the bottom, boots I experienced from other manufacturers.  That same give and flex has made them comfortable as hike in boots.  And at what I consider a reasonable price as well. 

Like many (most?) of you, I have my particular bias when it comes to manufacturers and I love my Simms waders, but for boots, I recommend Chota.

My $.02.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Grannyknot

Quote from: The Dude on January 20, 2012, 09:49:10 AM

I'm all about a bluelining gyro....

+

= bluelining gyro
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Transylwader

Thanks for the responses gents. I am inclined to invite all of you to The Palace this spring ('cepting Foul Hook coz he poaches from my mates hatchery).My feeling is that I will give the Simms Riverguard a shot. Between now and Spring, I plan to continue my training to get back down to 180lbs. No gyros will be consumed until Cold Mountain hits the shelves once more later this year...

bd;0

The Dude

I prefer Souvlaki, anyway.  You really never know what you are getting in a gyro.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

The Dude

Oh, and btw Tranny, I have found that Simms wading boots run pretty close to actual size.  I wear a Size 10.5 shoe and I get my Simms wading boots in Size 11 and it works perfectly with a neoprene booty or stocking foot wader (at least it did back in the days when I still wore waders).

benben reincarnated

Quote from: troutboy_II on January 20, 2012, 09:59:37 AM
I too am not hiking great distances any more, but I'm surprised that the Chota STL's are not better represented.  I have felt version and have had very good experience with them - hold up well, fairly light in weight, grip well except in tailwaters (but I understand the cleated version does as well as possible there), and best of all in my estimation, they flex.  By that I mean the sole flex's, has some give and allows for you to feel the bottom.  Much better than the old, piece of board on the bottom, boots I experienced from other manufacturers.  That same give and flex has made them comfortable as hike in boots.  And at what I consider a reasonable price as well. 

Like many (most?) of you, I have my particular bias when it comes to manufacturers and I love my Simms waders, but for boots, I recommend Chota.

My $.02.

TB

I like my recently purchased Chota's too although I haven't put many miles on them yet... 

Big J

Quote from: The Dude on January 20, 2012, 09:49:10 AM

I blame that slip up on lack of sleep.....

I do like me some gyros though.  ;D

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: croaker on January 20, 2012, 21:58:17 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 20, 2012, 21:17:24 PM

8)     'c;

I can't tell you what my 'reaction' was the first time I saw that on TV, I was 11 or 12 at the time  :;!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Transylwader

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 20, 2012, 22:17:23 PM
Quote from: croaker on January 20, 2012, 21:58:17 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 20, 2012, 21:17:24 PM

8)     'c;

I can't tell you what my 'reaction' was the first time I saw that on TV, I was 11 or 12 at the time  :;!
Christ, I suppose the Tri-ASS-ic era was just beginning too right?

ajhock

Fairies wear boots
Get them, ride them, get something different.  Diversity makes the world go round.  Chuck T's with felt add on once a year.  (adjust size for fancy waders) Ride on.  $45.
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

Rog 1

My vote for other was for the LLBean West Branch wading boots with the Stealth rubber soles...

OldDominionAngler

If you're wet wading, I've found these to be a good solution for bluelines: http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/Riprap_shoe.html. 

I wear them with the neoprene booties and they work pretty well, for hiking and wading, but the biggest con is ankle support. There is none, so they take getting used to...but they're way less clunky than boots and provide a lot more protection than Tevas or Chacos. 

I've only spent one season in them, so I can't speak to the durability...