News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

St. John

Started by Ham, January 02, 2012, 19:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham

My wife and I went down to St. John for vacation. It was my first trip to the Caribbean and I had a lot of fun-beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, and of course we brought fly rods.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4]

The majority of the catch were small jacks. They were a lot of fun and fought pretty hard, especially for their size. There was quite a variety too.
[attachimg=5][attachimg=6][attachimg=7][attachimg=8]

I was hoping to catch some bonefish but didn't have much luck. We only found two flats with any size to them but we didn't quite get in sync with the comings and goings of the bones.
[attachimg=9][attachimg=10]

We saw a lot of bonefish tailing the first morning we were there but I didn't catch any. I was foiled by a combination of poor presentations and flies getting hung up in the grass that covered most of the flat. There were also small sharks and barracuda on the flats. I only got one shark to follow before breaking off but I did manage a bunch of smallish barracudas.
[attachimg=11]

We rented a two-seater kayak and were puttering around. I decided to troll a line out the back because we'd heard about big barracuda. To my surprise we caught a tarpon. It was a lot of fun-great fight. The fish jumped 3 or 4 times and definitely snapped the tip of my rod-difficult to land strong fish from a kayak.
[attachimg=12]

We definitely had a lot of fun down there. We did some hiking, scrambling, swimming and snorkeling too. The only real successful sight fishing I did was throwing clousers at schools of jacks pushing bait. I caught a lot of cool fish though-snappers, needlefish, lizardfish, and stuff I'm not sure about in addition to the ones I posted pictures of.

Spent Christmas and New Years back home in Maine.
[attachimg=13]

First fish of the year wasn't on a fly rod but what're you going to do?
[attachimg=14]

benben reincarnated

WOW, absolutely gorgeous.  Looks like a hell of a time.   bd;0

FoulHook

Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Woolly Bugger

that report would be a 10 but I'm deducting some points, because you suck and no bikini shots...:) d:b
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

OldDominionAngler

From the Caribbean to Maine...both ends of the spectrum...looks like a great trip.  'c;

My girlfriend's family vacations in St. John every year...if I get the invite this year, I might come askin' for advice.

Ham

Quote from: OldDominionAngler on January 03, 2012, 12:10:44 PM
My girlfriend's family vacations in St. John every year...if I get the invite this year, I might come askin' for advice.

Hit me up brother. Like I said, I didn't slay the bonefish but I'm happy to share what I learned.

Mstash

I fished around that 2nd pic you posted. No luck
The week I was there I didn't see much related to fishing at all
I will go back one day

ncguy

Looked pretty successful especially for DIY.