News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New to site and fly fishing

Started by Scarecrow, January 13, 2012, 17:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarecrow

I got a fly rod for Christmas and caught my first brown on a fly Monday. I am a die hard bass tournament fisherman but I am really enjoying the fly rod. I mainly will be fishing the smith river but am open to suggestions of any other good streams near Martinsville, Va.

Woolly Bugger

pull up a chair around the campfire, there are a few of us who fish the Smith from time to time..
no small feat to catch a Smith Brown in the dead of winter...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Ahhh, I remember the bass tournament fishing days.  Started fly fishing and I haven't picked up a spinning rod or bait caster in 3 years.  Much more fun catching bass on a fly rod IMO.  Use to be a member of bass master but never renewed after a year of fly fishing.  You'll probably laugh at this post, but you just may catch the bug I did.......  Welcome aboard.

Al

Yep, did my share of bass tournaments. Got out when folks became so serious about winning that cheating took over. I still fish with all types of gear but fly fishing is my favorite.

BTW I see you are from Figsboro - have we met. If not, why not?  Please come to the next Smith River TU meeting on March 1st and introduce yourself.  See meeting announcement elsewhere on this forum.